Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-10-2017, 13:35   #31

Their EPS is excellent. I see them as an excellent store of wealth. maybe they only grow slowly from now on but I'm happy to have them in my small portfolio.
They are as near to blue-chip as you will find in the aviation industry.
Advertisement
31-10-2017, 08:41   #32
ProjectMoose

Results out today.

Profit up 11%
Cancellations cost 25m
Pilots pay increases 45m

Last edited by ProjectMoose; 31-10-2017 at 08:44.
31-10-2017, 11:44   #33
Cute Hoor

Good news this morning and the SP has reacted accordingly.

However it is still far from plain sailing ahead. They have been doing a fair bit of marketing and fare slashing recently, presumably in an effort to negate the adverse publicity surrounding the cancellations. There is still a question mark around whether the cancellation issue is fully put to bed. EasyJet are after getting a chunk of Air Berlin and are expected to recruit 1,000 of their pilots. Ryanair still have the pilots issue to resolve, recruiting/training new ones and managing the increasingly belligerent existing pilots, if the existing pilots manage to unite they would have Ryanair over a barrell, something that MO'L might find very hard to stomach.

Still a good company but it wouldn't take a lot for things to start going pear shaped
31-10-2017, 11:49   #34

Easyjet have a significantly higher cost base than Ryanair and taking over some parts of Air Berlin is going to do nothing to help that. Even with the increases in pilot pay which Ryanair are willing to surrender their cost base is the lowest in the business by a long long way. There are articles on the internet which discuss it but I'm not going looking for them at the moment.
31-10-2017, 11:59   #35
Cute Hoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737max View Post
Easyjet have a significantly higher cost base than Ryanair and taking over some parts of Air Berlin is going to do nothing to help that. Even with the increases in pilot pay which Ryanair are willing to surrender their cost base is the lowest in the business by a long long way. There are articles on the internet which discuss it but I'm not going looking for them at the moment.
The issue there (as I understand it) is that Ryanair are willing to increase pilot pay (and T&C's) but not to the extent that the pilots want. If Ryanair pilots manage to get themselves organised (while the pilot shortage continues to exist) Ryanair will be paying them far in excess of what they are currently offering if they want to avoid further disruption. If they could get their hands on a chunk of the Air Berlin or Monarch pilots that would weaken the pilot's position and ease the pressure on Ryanair.
Advertisement
31-10-2017, 12:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Hoor View Post
The issue there (as I understand it) is that Ryanair are willing to increase pilot pay (and T&C's) but not to the extent that the pilots want. If Ryanair pilots manage to get themselves organised (while the pilot shortage continues to exist) Ryanair will be paying them far in excess of what they are currently offering if they want to avoid further disruption. If they could get their hands on a chunk of the Air Berlin or Monarch pilots that would weaken the pilot's position and ease the pressure on Ryanair.
Pilots are for the most part contracted and what current pilots want is not what the market is happy to settle for. Those who are agitating don't want to admit that Ryanair pilots are now well paid and the non-financial benefits of working up hours on an in-demand airframe with huge career possibilities within Ryanair and outside are great incentives.

You need to decide if you believe the message being propagated in media or if the fundamentals of the Ryanair offer are genuinely good.
I made my decision that what is being pushed in the media is mostly misleading noise.
31-10-2017, 12:12   #37
Cute Hoor

Quote:
Pilots are for the most part contracted and what current pilots want is not what the market is happy to settle for. Those who are agitating don't want to admit that Ryanair pilots are now well paid and the non-financial benefits of working up hours on an in-demand airframe with huge career possibilities within Ryanair and outside are great incentives.

You need to decide if you believe the message being propagated in media or if the fundamentals of the Ryanair offer are genuinely good.
I made my decision that what is being pushed in the media is mostly misleading noise.
Fair enough, and all I'm suggesting is the pilot issue (if one exists) is a potential bump on the road for Ryanair. If there is no pilot issue and no further issue re flight cancellations then it's full steam ahead.
31-10-2017, 12:16   #38

The only thing investors should be annoyed about is that Ryanair is mostly responsible for driving Monarch, Air Berlin and Alitalia out of business but their current embarrassments prevent them from capitalising fully on this.
31-10-2017, 13:50   #39
ProjectMoose

Ryanair responsible for their collapse is a stretch.

All three airlines you mentioned have been struggling financially for years. Air Berlin was operating in an already crowded German market. Monarch didn't know where they were at and Alitalia refuse to change with the times.

Quote:
The only thing investors should be annoyed about is that Ryanair is mostly responsible for driving Monarch, Air Berlin and Alitalia out of business but their current embarrassments prevent them from capitalising fully on this.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-12-2017, 19:20   #40
littlevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevillage View Post
Ryanair trading around €15.50 on ISEQ today....after a couple of days of losses, anybody else tempted ?
When the share price fell down to about €15.50 there in Oct due to the roostering problems, I was a bit slow off the mark and didn't fill my boots ...(I posted on here at the time). The Shares subsequently rose 20% to above €18.30 in the weeks after that when it emerged that Ryanair results were hardly dented at all by the cancellations.

Will this latest issue with Pilots striking provide another opportunity to buy in ? Shares down to about €16.90 today on ISE.

But how low will they go ?
15-12-2017, 11:17   #41
ProjectMoose

Share price sliding further, currently 15.76. Time to buy a few?
15-12-2017, 11:20   #42

I'd be buying except they are already too large a part of my (humble) portfolio. I need balance. Definitely not selling.
15-12-2017, 11:50   #43
littlevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMoose View Post
Share price sliding further, currently 15.76. Time to buy a few?
Got some at €15.65, a few minutes ago :-)

(Wasn't going to miss out on a dip, again). If O'Leary can sort out the Pilots and with Monarch out of business ....the future could be bright
15-12-2017, 12:02   #44
ProjectMoose

Got distracted luckily! Got a few at 15.50 but expect it to drop further.

Last edited by ProjectMoose; 15-12-2017 at 12:14.
15-12-2017, 12:21   #45
littlevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMoose View Post
Got distracted luckily! Got a few at 15.50 but expect it to drop further.
Nice one.

I got a couple more at €15.47 just now ... they are on a real slide, -5% in a couple of hours, this surely won't continue into the afternoon? ...hope theres nothing in the news that I have missed :-[

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion