Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Providence Resources

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oneday2day

Is this company bust now? I assume they have no future?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

You'd wanna be very cock sure about yourself and what your going to do to accept this offer as CEO
    Irish oil and gas explorer Providence Resources has offered its new CEO, Alan Linn, the option of buying shares in the group at a price of four pence each, subject to shareholder approval.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/providence-offers-new-ceo-share-options-38859453.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Time to bump this thread. I'm a newcomer to Providence but been following the last few months. Finally jumped in last week and we have news today!

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/market/7009482/Providence-Resources-progresses-talks-with-SpotOn-over-Barryroe-investment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Rubbish company, share price has been bleeding for years.
    Rubbish asset, Barryroe is a 100miles out to Sea and 2 miles down underneath the seabed. It'll cost a fortune to extract not like the middle east/venezuela/Russian oil which is ony a matter of punching a hole in the ground and up the Oil comes, you'd need Oil at $80+ which ain't going to happen in the next few years with mad over production from everyplace and consumption dropping.
    Avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

A great opportunity first thing this morning to sell and take a profit if you were one of the very lucky ones who could take a profit or to cut your losses which would probably be the situation for most if there are any holders left. Never had an interest myself, just watching from the side. Good luck with it.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    A great opportunity first thing this morning to sell and take a profit if you were one of the very lucky ones who could take a profit or to cut your losses which would probably be the situation for most if there are any holders left. Never had an interest myself, just watching from the side. Good luck with it.

Woke up too late to see that morning spike unfortunately! Still above my BEP

Nicely moving now and quite a good consortium:

Schlumberger

Aker Solutions

AGR

Maersk

Keppel

Aibel

Ireland may finally be on track for oil. Of course though it's when we've started focusing on green policies!

Nice increase in share price today after a month or so of fluctuating in the low 5 pences.

Could be a leak of news with this kind of action.

9 million loss for the year so far mainly due to financing

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1168381/

Farmout progressing on time. Massively undervalued asset in my opinion, all that awaits is the ownership percentage after agreement.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40057451.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Media seem to be picking up on the progress of Barryroe a bit more.

Some very positive wording in that article. I know the company has been here before albeit partnered with Chinese companies and led by O'Reilly.

It's now or never for Oil in Ireland.

Providence Resources are to present for the first time at the proactive investors conference next Thursday.

We may have news before then.

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy these and buy these shares only.

Is there an etrading platform I can do this on?

I'm not too bothered about the hassle of brokers etc.

I just want an easy way to buy these specific shares. Saw they weren't on Etoro.

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy these and buy these shares only.

Is there an etrading platform I can do this on?

I'm not too bothered about the hassle of brokers etc.

I just want an easy way to buy these specific shares. Saw they weren't on Etoro.

Not sure Gilberto, I use Degiro personally but to set that up you may miss the farmout news if it is coming this week.

I'd set it up anyway as it might be your only option

EkcbBKRWMAAU5cr?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Whats your feeling on how the market will react on news of an agreement?

Currently at 8c on ISEQ. After falling from 10c earlier last week.

Does that maybe tell us something?

For example, do you feel that maybe a successful agreement might already be priced in at 8c....and if there is a further delay....the SP will flop back to 5c or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Thoughts re the rumoured injunctions in the pipeline? I can't see this project going ahead tbh.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Thoughts re the rumoured injunctions in the pipeline? I can't see this project going ahead tbh.

Which rumoured injunctions? Are you talking about the Green Party? Today they've failed to block the LNG terminal in Cork.

I don't think they can block Ireland finally having an oil field and a new gas field especially when we need Gas for the next 30 years at least. The law is on Providence's side and it would be terrible for business to dictatorially block the oil field especially when there are plans in place from Providence to offshoot carbon emissions with carbon capture technology. Not to mention oil is a necessary component for many things going forward not least plastics, and wind turbine lubricant for green energy. There is a vilification of the word oil from the media. Alan Linn is an excellent man to have at the helm, there simply is no reason to not let this oil field go ahead, an environmental impact report will be created too in line with government policy.

The general populace is my concern, as I said above people will hear oil and immediately be out protesting with extinction rebellion etc etc It would be our (Ireland's) luck to finally go ahead with extracting our oil reserves as people get hyped up over climate emissions etc after decades of other countries benefitting financially from it :rolleyes: :D

Whats your feeling on how the market will react on news of an agreement?

Currently at 8c on ISEQ. After falling from 10c earlier last week.

Does that maybe tell us something?

For example, do you feel that maybe a successful agreement might already be priced in at 8c....and if there is a further delay....the SP will flop back to 5c or worse?

I'm not one for speculating crazily on price to be honest, I don't want to get ahead of myself but I place a much higher value on the expected retention of 50% of barryroe post farmout then the current share price and market cap. I think the market will always be wary of providence given its history but also with the current change towards greener energy and indeed the lower oil prices.

If I had to give a figure, I'd say 15p but I'm by no means experienced in this sector. I think Oil is a promising investment in the medium term, it's not going away anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »
    Which rumoured injunctions? Are you talking about the Green Party? Today they've failed to block the LNG terminal in Cork.

I don't think they can block Ireland finally having an oil field and a new gas field especially when we need Gas for the next 30 years at least. The law is on Providence's side and it would be terrible for business to dictatorially block the oil field especially when there are plans in place from Providence to offshoot carbon emissions with carbon capture technology. Not to mention oil is a necessary component for many things going forward not least plastics, and wind turbine lubricant for green energy. There is a vilification of the word oil from the media. Alan Linn is an excellent man to have at the helm, there simply is no reason to not let this oil field go ahead, an environmental impact report will be created too in line with government policy.

The general populace is my concern, as I said above people will hear oil and immediately be out protesting with extinction rebellion etc etc It would be our (Ireland's) luck to finally go ahead with extracting our oil reserves as people get hyped up over climate emissions etc after decades of other countries benefitting financially from it :rolleyes: :D

No the Greens wouldn't bring the injunction, sher they'll be the ones giving the project approval. The FIE activists have said that they will be bringing an injunction if it goes ahead, which would likely succeed imo after the Supreme Court case they won a few months ago.

I don't disagree with the project, but how does Ireland benefit in any way? Oil prices have never been better + Ireland doesn't retain any of the oil extracted from Barryroe. The only benefit the State will actually see from the project is the corporation tax taking, which will be written down from the losses incurred by the company for the last few years + capital allowances.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. If this project is stalled for much longer, the share price will tank imo.

You also need to take into account the Paris Agreement. That would also be grounds to have the project scrapped. The optics are terrible and the Gov likely won't want to give the opposition parties more ammo than they currently have. Why would The Greens allow the project to progress without an environmental impact report? Sher it would need one of those before planning is granted afaik. Isn't that what killed Shannon LNG?

Thoughts?

No the Greens wouldn't bring the injunction, sher they'll be the ones giving the project approval. The FIE activists have said that they will be bringing an injunction if it goes ahead, which would likely succeed imo after the Supreme Court case they won a few months ago.

I don't disagree with the project, but how does Ireland benefit in any way? Oil prices have never been better + Ireland doesn't retain any of the oil extracted from Barryroe. The only benefit the State will actually see from the project is the corporation tax taking, which will be written down from the losses incurred by the company for the last few years + capital allowances.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. If this project is stalled for much longer, the share price will tank imo.

You also need to take into account the Paris Agreement. That would also be grounds to have the project scrapped. The optics are terrible and the Gov likely won't want to give the opposition parties more ammo than they currently have. Why would The Greens allow the project to progress without an environmental impact report? Sher it would need one of those before planning is granted afaik. Isn't that what killed Shannon LNG?

Thoughts?

I haven't seen FIE activists say they will take a case against Providence? Where are you seeing this? I don't doubt they might but has there any word on this.

I'm not a law expert, I don't know what case they would have in the supreme court against Providence so I can't comment on that.

I'm also well aware of the risk with this project and my investment was on the catalyst of a successful farmout really. I'm up a nice bit already, 65% + so for it to spike on farmout I'll happily reassess and jump out rather than burden the risk.

The project can't go ahead without the environmental report, I said that. It will take 2 years. Shannon LNG is a different proposition and not fully abandoned as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Delay in signing the deal, SP back to 7c. Wonder is this an opportunity to snap up a few shares? or will they drift even lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭chrisd2019

Delay in signing the deal, SP back to 7c. Wonder is this an opportunity to snap up a few shares? or will they drift even lower?

Before jumping into anything involving this company & this project you should study the history of both. Its share price has been an almost constant draining away of shareholders value. The shares have been diluted so many times, along with numerous false dawn and delays. Each delay results in further expenses in keeping a company with no production income running.

The risks in this company are very much on the downside for a shareholder.

Also the world still has many areas where exploration & extraction of oil is a much simpler & profitable experience.

Just my opinion following close to 20 years of watching a small investment dwindle away while this company went around in circles. Luckily at the same time I invested in another Irish oil stock (Dragon Oil) that gave a much more pleasant experience.

I'm happy with my current holding but if it falls a little more I'll happily jump in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Before jumping into anything involving this company & this project you should study the history of both. Its share price has been an almost constant draining away of shareholders value. The shares have been diluted so many times, along with numerous false dawn and delays. Each delay results in further expenses in keeping a company with no production income running.

Also the world still has many areas where exploration & extraction of oil is a much simpler & profitable experience.

Just my opinion following close to 20 years of watching a small investment dwindle away while this company went around in circles. Luckily at the same time I invested in another Irish oil stock (Dragon Oil) that gave a much more pleasant experience.

This is a very good post!

This stock is a real minefield. A real gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭chrisd2019

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This is a very good post!

This stock is a real minefield. A real gamble.

Thank you.

This stock shows the difference between oil exploration & oil extraction & the efficient development of a field or not.

chrisd2019 wrote: »

I think there are more factors to this stock currently than basing your valuation off past performances. Alan Linn, a vastly experienced oil industry player is the head of Providence now, it's no longer Tony O'Reilly JR, and management is key to any business. This alone is enough to completely ignore the historical failures. There are no dodgy dealings with Chinese here.

What's on the plate currently is a fully funded farmout programme with retention of up to 50% for Providence. Current known extractable barrels number 346 million and that's not even looking at the expansion of the field, further deep drilling, as well as the natural gas present (which is seeing a nice price increase over the last year or so ).

The consortium is headed by SpotOn Energy - granted this is an unknown entity for the most part and some will point to dormant company filings in the UK as a glaring danger - however further research shows that SpotOn is not nearly as dodgy as Apec. It's actually quite easy to research the current directors and realise that the key to their plan is the Norwegian Export Credit. They've assembled a consortium which includes Schlumberger which is somewhat important given that the current director of SpotOn is a former employee for 12 years.

There are some other factors here I could go into particularly around cashflow from initial activities but I won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see the farmout completed by next week and for a substantial increase in the current share price. It's up to oil prices as well as the green energy lobby groups to not mess this up from here on imo.

Kilboor wrote: »
    I think there are more factors to this stock currently than basing your valuation off past performances. Alan Linn, a vastly experienced oil industry player is the head of Providence now, it's no longer Tony O'Reilly JR, and management is key to any business. This alone is enough to completely ignore the historical failures. There are no dodgy dealings with Chinese here.

What's on the plate currently is a fully funded farmout programme with retention of up to 50% for Providence. Current known extractable barrels number 346 million and that's not even looking at the expansion of the field, further deep drilling, as well as the natural gas present (which is seeing a nice price increase over the last year or so ).

The consortium is headed by SpotOn Energy - granted this is an unknown entity for the most part and some will point to dormant company filings in the UK as a glaring danger - however further research shows that SpotOn is not nearly as dodgy as Apec. It's actually quite easy to research the current directors and realise that the key to their plan is the Norwegian Export Credit. They've assembled a consortium which includes Schlumberger which is somewhat important given that the current director of SpotOn is a former employee for 12 years.

There are some other factors here I could go into particularly around cashflow from initial activities but I won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see the farmout completed by next week and for a substantial increase in the current share price. It's up to oil prices as well as the green energy lobby groups to not mess this up from here on imo.

What are you basing that on though? Pure optimism? I have been following this company for years now I have finally come to the conclusion that they're an absolute train wreck. This project is as dead as a dodo and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive, imo! One of the riskiest investments out there atm.

• Advertisement

What are you basing that on though? Pure optimism? I have been following this company for years now I have finally come to the conclusion that they're an absolute train wreck. This project is as dead as a dodo and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive, imo! One of the riskiest investments out there atm.

I'm not so sure about that. Tony O'Reilly was a massive negative factor for Providence, that's no longer the case.

Proper management, a different approach to the farmout, and the last chance to make a profit from oil before the world switches to carbon neutral by 2060 or whenever

Advertisement