Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Victorian era in Ireland

• 11-08-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I've recently become mesmerized by the Victorian era, especially Victorian England. I tried googling Victorian Ireland but couldn't find much.
    I know that the potato famine(1845-1849) happened during this era but what about before and after that? For example, the 1890's. Would Irish Victorian cities have been similar to those in England? Did we dress similarly?
    If anyone knows about Victorian Ireland I'd be delighted if you could tell me a bit about it. Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The cities would have been pretty similar, albeit on a much smaller scale. Look at a few of the Lawrence Collection of photographs and you'll see.
    http://lawrencecollection.com/about/

Fashions, for the urbanites at least would have been similar, given the proximity of Britain. Out in the country and esp. the West of Ireland, tenant farmers and fishermen would have retained some of the more traditional clothing.

Railways would have started to come on the scene from the mid-1830s but built in a less frenzied manner compared to across the water, having fewer large centres of population and mineral resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

The cities would have been pretty similar, albeit on a much smaller scale. Look at a few of the Lawrence Collection of photographs and you'll see.
    http://lawrencecollection.com/about/

Fashions, for the urbanites at least would have been similar, given the proximity of Britain. Out in the country and esp. the West of Ireland, tenant farmers and fishermen would have retained some of the more traditional clothing.

Railways would have started to come on the scene from the mid-1830s but built in a less frenzied manner compared to across the water, having fewer large centres of population and mineral resources.

Advertisement