Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

2l Coke €1.49
    24x330ml DietCoke €8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

One thing I've found in Dealz to be a bit of a false economy is their batteries.

I bought Kodak and Sony AA's for €1.49 and they have a really short life, you get 10 Sony Carbon Zinc Batteries for €1.49 and 11 Kodak Zinc Chloride Batteries for €1.49. The Kodak's last slightly longer but both have a woeful life, one of them only lasts about a week or ten days in my wireless mouse. I have stopped putting them in clocks now as the clock runs slow so often. Normal Alkaline batteries are far better.

I think I will buy a rechargeable kit and battery's soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

snubbleste wrote: »
    2l Coke €1.49

Lidl for €1.14 this weekend, coke and diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Stinicker wrote: »
    One thing I've found in Dealz to be a bit of a false economy is their batteries.

Yes noticed this too. They do have 4 packs of Sony alkaline batteries for €1.50, probably a better purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Bought 'The Stig's' autobiography in there yesterday for a whole 1.49!
    Was debating whether or not to buy it when it was released first.
    Worth a read for that price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I bought Kodak and Sony AA's for €1.49 and they have a really short life, you get 10 Sony Carbon Zinc Batteries for €1.49 and 11 Kodak Zinc Chloride Batteries for €1.49. The Kodak's last slightly longer but both have a woeful life, one of them only lasts about a week or ten days in my wireless mouse. I have stopped putting them in clocks now as the clock runs slow so often. Normal Alkaline batteries are far better.

I think I will buy a rechargeable kit and battery's soon.

I put the Kodak ones in my camera, one picture and gone. That's really taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The cheap batteries are crap, but I think they are fine for a remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://zeusbatteryproducts.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/digital-camera-buying-guide-faqs-about-alkaline-nicd-nimh-lithium-ion-rechargeable-batteries/
    Is it normal for my digital camera to use so many alkaline batteries?

Unfortunately, yes. Digital cameras use alkaline batteries at a rapid rate. If you are using a lot of alkaline batteries for your digital camera, your best bet is to switch to rechargeable NiMH batteries as quickly as possible. Not only will NiMH batteries power a digital camera much longer than an alkaline battery, they are a lot less expensive.

Why do my alkaline batteries run down so quickly when used in my digital camera?

Alkaline batteries are not designed to meet the high power demands of most electronic devices. Alkaline batteries have a high rated capacity, but they can only deliver their full capacity if the power is used slowly. Digital cameras place a high power drain on batteries, so it is much better to use rechargeable NiMH or NiCd batteries for this type of device. Lithium ion rechargeable camera batteries also work well in high drain applications like digital cameras but are often much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

B1G1F on Mariah Carey perfumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Most of the dealz stuff is false economy or the same or better deal in Tesco/Dunnes/SuperValu etc

2L coke 1.49 Tesco have these 2 for 3 euro or as someone else said here Lild 2 Liters for 1.19

Sarsons Vinegar 1.49 in dealz SuperValu its 98 cent

Capri Sun they sell it in packs of 5 for 1.49 its packs of 10 in Dunnes for 2 euro.

Andrex Toilet Roll they have it 2 rolls for 1.49 can get a 4 roll pack in SuperValu for 2 euro

Dealz looks cheap but its false economy they sell most stuff in smaller sizes than the main supermarkets so it looks cheap but it really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not necessarily.

They have Colgate toothpaste in 125ml tubes for €1.49.

A savvy shopper will work out the cost per roll/100g/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jjbrien wrote: »
    Most of the dealz stuff is false economy or the same or better deal in Tesco/Dunnes/SuperValu etc

2L coke 1.49 Tesco have these 2 for 3 euro or as someone else said here Lild 2 Liters for 1.19
    That was a super saturday deal in Lidl, and the 2l is back at full price in tesco since midweek last week.

I wouldn't say most stuff is false economy - varies product to product, and depends on what offers are on elsewhere. And of course you have to look at the pack sizes. Having said that, we wouldn't really buy a lot of food there.

Their batteries are no different from any other cheap brand, in my experience. Grand for LED torches, remotes etc., but I wouldn't think of putting them in a digital camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Capri Sun they sell it in packs of 5 for 1.49 its packs of 10 in Dunnes for 2 euro.

Andrex Toilet Roll they have it 2 rolls for 1.49 can get a 4 roll pack in SuperValu for 2 euro

Dealz looks cheap but its false economy they sell most stuff in smaller sizes than the main supermarkets so it looks cheap but it really isn't.

Dealz is owned by Poundland (They had to change name for Irl obviously) but channel 4 did a dispatches show on this last year.
    It is exactly as you have said.
    You can watch it here (If an ad pops up, just click through to the file).
    They sell a lot of stuff in custom made sizes to deceive - it seems from the show anyway.
    Enjoy

They sell a lot of stuff in custom made sizes to deceive - it seems from the show anyway.
    Enjoy
    How do they deceive? The packaging states the content clearly.

I don't think many people would use Dealz for a weekly shop so some of the comparisons are irrelevant. They do comply with legislation to include quantity , size etc. so really it's a case of caveat emptor.
    The quality of their products is probably not top class but is often sufficient for the occasional user, for instance, I bought a 2ft spirit level for €1.49 but I used it for hanging pictures, not erecting skyscrapers. Horses for courses. I think, in the area of tools, electronics, gardening etc. the quality is at least as good as what you'll pay three or four times the price for in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say most stuff is false economy - varies product to product,
    +1, I simply buy only good deals. Same in tesco, many of the advertised offers are non-offers. Doesn't bother me much, I see people blindly filling baskets with these non-offers, that's how I figure they can then have such good genuine offers.

I find tesco to be very good value, if I shopped the way some people do I certainly would not though.
    +1, I had these comments about that documentary.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Many items were smaller, you see this in euro shops here, bars like dairy milk can be a little smaller, sometimes broken multipacks. Some bars never seem to change size, like bounties.

I couldn't believe my ears when in the documentary some woman from a government agency or something was saying this practice could be illegal! one example was poundland were selling say a 180g jar of nutella for €1, and the tesco had a 200g of nutella for €1. This sounded bizarre to me, that trading standards or somebody could prevent manufacturers making varying pack sizes of the same product.

They did show a window cleaner which they said was deceptive, the smaller poundland bottle was actually taller and narrower. But I still cannot ever imagine a manufacturer being stopped from selling it.

They were really presuming all customers are complete idiots unable to determine good value for themselves, I found it quite offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Ok snubbleste, then if the strategy of using smaller size packaging doesn't work because the size/ weight is on the packet, do you think they would engage in it?
    I think it makes no difference if the size or weight of the product was in big bold writing across the centre - not everyone watches the price per kilo, price per ltr etc

Dealz do deals with suppliers it to meet their £1/€1.49 price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think it makes no difference if the size or weight of the product was in big bold writing across the centre - not everyone watches the price per kilo, price per ltr etc

Then that's the buyer's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was at the one in letterkenny the other week. It was huge.

• Advertisement

Ok snubbleste, then if the strategy of using smaller size packaging doesn't work because the size/ weight is on the packet, do you think they would engage in it?

Manufacturers and wholesalers have been doing this for years, particularly in the area of confectionery and ice cream. Bars of chocolate, packets of biscuits, crisps etc. are all smaller in size than what they used to be. There is no statutory obligation to make these items in any particular size, just to state what that size is and the price per unit of measure.
    Do people need to be led by the hand? All the required information is there for you to make your choice, if you think Tesco or Dunnes are better value, buy there but don't be misled into thinking that the large supermarkets don't engage in the same tactics. I have often come across items marked "big value pack" only to find that two smaller packs adding up to the same volume, actually cost less. They call it marketing.

It works because of consumers not checking (I've been guilty of it myself, although it was centra that caught me out!). I don't see it as particularly underhand tbh - how can you compare prices/ products without checking sizes, even within the same store? At the very least, it's no more underhand than Tesco's use of yellow pricing labels on stuff that isn't actually on offer, and being lazy about leaving expired yellow labels on shelves (which my regular one is a bugger for).

Incidentally, as it was discussed earlier - coke/ diet coke/ coke zero on 2 for €3 in Dunnes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Sarsons vinegar is actually 2 for €1.49, always has been, which makes it cheaper than Supervalu.

Or you can mix and match it with salt for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Sarsons vinegar is actually 2 for €1.49, always has been, which makes it cheaper than Supervalu.

Or you can mix and match it with salt for the same price

Chip off the old block. I'll get my cod...

...err my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Was watching C4 on retail selling scams last night and one they pointed out is that the €1.49 HDMI cable in Dealz (£1 in the UK Poundland) produces the exact same quality HD resolution as do the HDMI cables retailing at £80!

kn wrote: »
    Was watching C4 on retail selling scams last night and one they pointed out is that the €1.49 HDMI cable in Dealz (£1 in the UK Poundland) produces the exact same quality HD resolution as do the HDMI cables retailing at £80!

Everyone knows that. The signal is sent digitally and it either works or it doesn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Everyone knows that. The signal is sent digitally and it either works or it doesn't.

Except the people who've been conned in to paying for Monster and similar ones by dodgy salesmen and incompetent "technology experts" (Karlin Lillington, I'm looking at you here) in the media.

MYOB wrote: »
    Except the people who've been conned in to paying for Monster and similar ones by dodgy salesmen and incompetent "technology experts" (Karlin Lillington, I'm looking at you here) in the media.

Honestly anyone who blindly believes a salesperson is asking for it. The only real difference between Monster cables and the Dealz one is build quality. While I'd never pay for a Monster lead they are well made and far more durable than the €1.49 cable.

Quickly checked out that C4 programme that was mentioned and it was rather poorly put together. The presenter repeatedly mentioned the experts who would be shown the various cables to see if they could notice the difference. The so called experts were little more than 3 randomers they picked up off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

kn wrote: »
    Was watching C4 on retail selling scams last night[...]

That's the episode of Dispatches. Its a bloody good watch too. Dealz, or Poundland, in itself is not a scam, but the sales practises are misleading sometimes. Packets may look the same on branded products, but there are less contents. For example, a bag of Haribo may be the same size, but with less contents. Weetabix is sold in smaller sizes, etc. Look at the label and the weight before buying.

The baked beans are a perfect example. Three tins for €1.49, but they are smaller tins. You'd get six for around two in Dunnes or Tesco, on offer.

These are examples, but worth noting. Dealz are great for end of life books at cheap prices. Handy for the unwanted Kris Kindle presents for the family.

• Advertisement

The baked beans are a perfect example. Three tins for €1.49, but they are smaller tins. You'd get six for around two in Dunnes or Tesco, on offer.
    It's a bit harsh to try and make out dealz/ poundland are the only ones that are less than clear on value for money. Many "bigger packs"/ multipacks in the mainstream supermarkets are more expensive than buying multiple smaller packs, with the clear intention of fooling the consumer who logically thinks bigger pack equals better value. For me, there's no difference between that practice and what Dealz is accused of. The only answer is to educate consumers to check!

Advertisement