Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-01-2020, 10:48   #1
mrcheez

Oculus Go VR headset now from €159

https://www.oculus.com/go/

Great introduction to VR on the cheap. It's VR-lite, but has some excellent games like Racket Fury, Dreadhalls and Daedalus. You can also play Quake in VR with a little fiddling.

Watch 3D movies in your own private IMAX cinema with superb resolution.

No need for a separate PC either.
Advertisement
17-01-2020, 12:54   #2
Homelander

I'm considering getting one for watching Netflix in bed, the all-in-one solution is ideal for it. Had a Rift CV1 and loved it but obviously don't suit casual movie/tv watching even though the tech is really cool.
Thanks from:
17-01-2020, 13:15   #3
bromley52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelander View Post
I'm considering getting one for watching Netflix in bed, the all-in-one solution is ideal for it. Had a Rift CV1 and loved it but obviously don't suit casual movie/tv watching even though the tech is really cool.
Netflix? Ya right
17-01-2020, 13:24   #4
Homelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromley52 View Post
Netflix? Ya right

Well, Mass on a Sunday via RTE Player too of course. A good, long sermon on a 400" screen is something everyone should experience at least once.
Thanks from:
17-01-2020, 13:36   #5
bromley52

Quote:
Well, Mass on a Sunday via RTE Player too of course. A good, long sermon on a 400" screen is something everyone should experience at least once.
I do love a good Mass.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-01-2020, 13:59   #6
mrcheez

Quote:
The only thing I'd mention is that battery life can be a bit limited for extended movie watching but having a power brick on hand will get you through a Netflix binge session. Can watch away while it's connected to the external battery.
17-01-2020, 14:11   #7
CountingCrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheez View Post
The only thing I'd mention is that battery life can be a bit limited for extended movie watching but having a power brick on hand will get you through a Netflix binge session. Can watch away while it's connected to the external battery.
I'd say 10 minutes should be enough to get the job done
17-01-2020, 17:33   #8
VanZan

Skybox and 3D mkv files are fantastic. Battery life is abysmal. Really get the 64GB version if you can.
Thanks from:
17-01-2020, 19:51   #9
Thargor

Tempted until I saw the minuscule storage, the wait goes on.

Have they been cracked so you can run your own apps and *cough* "homebrew" *cough* out of interest or are you locked into the Oculus ecosystem?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-01-2020, 20:32   #10
VanZan

That's a bloody good question....I never even thought of checking for some reason.
17-01-2020, 20:39   #11
mrcheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Tempted until I saw the minuscule storage, the wait goes on.

Have they been cracked so you can run your own apps and *cough* "homebrew" *cough* out of interest or are you locked into the Oculus ecosystem?
Yeah totally hackable.

I play Virtual Boy games on mine, plus Quake as mentioned earlier. VB games are actually really polished and the 3D effect is outstanding.

I think the only thing that let down the Virtual Boy was the hardware as games like Wario are great.

Also 64GB is plenty. The only thing that can really fill em up are flicks
Thanks from:
17-01-2020, 21:10   #12
Thargor

Thanks, Im damn tempted but Im not going to be frugal on VR, Ill pay a grand or two for the right All in One when it comes along but this isnt it.

Im not even looking for an All in One tbh but current VR setups are just too awkward for me, Im waiting for a more refined experience, something that can be plugged into my gaming rig for full gaming sessions but can also be used in bed for Youtube and video files. Maybe a Quest 2 if it ever appears.
17-01-2020, 21:17   #13
mrcheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Thanks, Im damn tempted but Im not going to be frugal on VR, Ill pay a grand or two for the right All in One when it comes along but this isnt it.

Im not even looking for an All in One tbh but current VR setups are just too awkward for me, Im waiting for a more refined experience, something that can be plugged into my gaming rig for full gaming sessions but can also be used in bed for Youtube and video files. Maybe a Quest 2 if it ever appears.
Sounds like the current Quest is what you're looking for?

Can be played standalone or plugged into a gaming rig, and also can be switched to 3DoF for watching videos in bed.

Hackable too.

I have Half Life on mine and when I started walking around in the half life world I literally shat myself.

Tip: buy extra underwear.
17-01-2020, 22:40   #14
Thargor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheez View Post
Sounds like the current Quest is what you're looking for?

Can be played standalone or plugged into a gaming rig, and also can be switched to 3DoF for watching videos in bed.

Hackable too.

I have Half Life on mine and when I started walking around in the half life world I literally shat myself.

Tip: buy extra underwear.
Yeah but its still not there, I know theres always something better just around the corner but it really feels like one more gen and it will be proper VR this time. I might just buy a Go to tide me over for another year or two.
17-01-2020, 23:11   #15
Dogg Munde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingCrows View Post
I'd say 10 minutes should be enough to get the job done
Is it a good 10 minutes though?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text