Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD brief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i think i put in two extra observation sheets for the camera in a different context because I couldn't decide between them, I had lost a min map I'd done for food and had to put a ****ty one in, plus I had two dodgy sheets for section B because I ran outa time. Our tutors said its ok to concentrate on some sheets over others because in their experience its important to show a interest and also its better to have some great work as well as not so good in favour of all middle of the road.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

By the way !

2011 brief is out now.

http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

Chorcai wrote: »
    By the way !

2011 brief is out now.

http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/

yeah i cant believe it i seen that alright! :eek: im delighted!! i have 9 months or so to do it and theres less amount of worksheets to be done in it!!! yee must be raging:p how long did yee get to do yeers? thanks for all the help spinandscribble!:D hey guys im just after setting this thing up so i don't have it that full but i have 3 of my paintings on it! have a look if you like and tell me what yee think! :)http://adamjak.deviantart.com/

wow thats a decrease! probably hoping more will apply. Glad to see it, seems like you'll be able to concentrate more on what interests you then just ticking boxes.

Only thing I'll say is try not to work from photos, no college really likes it. I know its hard sometimes but where possible work from life. keep up the good work!

Only thing I'll say is try not to work from photos, no college really likes it. I know its hard sometimes but where possible work from life. keep up the good work!

thanks:D yeah i totally agree with you, from now on i'm not going to work from photos. someone said that to me a few weeks aswell! as i was saying before i did a bit of your brief last week and i'm proud of myself because i didn't go near any photos or images! lots of drawing from whats around me from now on methinks:)

• Advertisement

sligo. wrote: »
    yeah i cant believe it i seen that alright! :eek: im delighted!! i have 9 months or so to do it and theres less amount of worksheets to be done in it!!! yee must be raging:p how long did yee get to do yeers? thanks for all the help spinandscribble!:D hey guys im just after setting this thing up so i don't have it that full but i have 3 of my paintings on it! have a look if you like and tell me what yee think! :)http://adamjak.deviantart.com/

Follow this and your in !

http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/guidelines.html

All joking aside, draw things infront of you, the teacher in my night class (he works in NCAD as well) said nothing but...

Observation Observation Observation Observation Observation Observation Observation drawings.

oh and Visual Notebooks !!

thanks Chorcai! im just after putting on another comment there above yours incase you missed it! i agree...OBSERVATION from here on in!:)

thanks Chorcai! im just after putting on another comment there above yours incase you missed it! i agree...OBSERVATION from here on in!:)

A good thing to do is get lets say a bannana/orange/fruit, peel it apart and draw it a few times, then put it in a lunch box seal it, come back to it when its half rotten, draw it, seal it, come back. you then can make drawing/collages/paintings of each of the drawings. you could fill a notebook with just this alone !

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Hey who else got into ncad?!

Xenzo wrote: »

Waiting list 0_o !

I know of 1 other person who did get straight in, she had amazing stuff, I was so glad for her 2yrs of working towards it.

• Advertisement

Out of 13 applicants in my portfolio course and the advanced level 6 group, 10 got in, including myself in that, and the other three are on waiting lists. Many of them say they wont be going as they prefer lsad or financially a move to dublin is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

Xenzo wrote: »

I did! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

kanedaly60 wrote: »
    I did! :D

Me too! I'm dying for September to come around.
    I didn't get into Lsad though ah well.

Emmpty wrote: »
    Me too! I'm dying for September to come around.
    I didn't get into Lsad though ah well.

LSAD ? where is that ?

Chorcai wrote: »
    LSAD ? where is that ?

Limerick school of art and design- LIT

Limerick school of art and design- LIT

Ah :o:o

Thats what the Limerick ones called isn't it...?

Yeah it is, some would just refer to it as LIT though.

Well congrats and fair play to the people who got it!!! =D
    Hopefully see you guys next September!
    As long as I get my 2 C3s that is..

I was talking to a girl who's doing the core year at the moment and she was telling me all about, it just sounds tremendously whopper!
    She was saying for the first 6 weeks or so they were givin tasks like "Attach 3 objects together" and "Describe what the inside of your mouth feels like" .. :O Really weird stuff like!
    Then you go onto the workshops after that.
    She also said the amount of people who change there minds about what they want to do is really high! Like right now i'm planning on doing Vis Com.
    What are you guys planning??

And I was kinda leaning towards IADT but after that conversation I think NCAD is the one! =D

I think if I had decided to go instead of ECA I'd want to join Media in second year. Alot of people want vis com from what i've heard, its very popular.

• Advertisement

well done to all of you who are getting what you want! are they strict in NCAD about the results you get in you LC? i was reading before that they want you to have certain results but would they really turn you down after letting your portfolio through?

They tell you here, you don't need crazy points or anything, i think you need about 250 in all once you pass the ones they ask which ain't bad!

http://www.ncad.ie/admissions/entrycore.shtml

I think if I had decided to go instead of ECA I'd want to join Media in second year. Alot of people want vis com from what i've heard, its very popular.

Yeah its popular alright but supposedly a lot of people change their minds in core year after trying out all the different workshops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 505

Hey..If anyone needs any help over Summer getting a headstart with the 2010/11 brief, i done the brief myself before and I am in NCAD. I can travel to houses for 1 or 2 hour sessions for a low fee per session.. I live on the Northside of Dublin. Just P.M. me if you are interested cos i have no private details on this :)

i doubt you'd come to sligo?! haha! :) :P you could stil give me a few tips over this if you felt like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi All, I'm just about to start work on the brief to apply for 2011.
    Have been accepted to a level 6 advanced course for September.
    Great thread would love to know how everyone is doing and how there briefs are coming along!
    Sligo Love your paintings, thought I had something, but pales in comparison to your talents.:eek:
    Best of luck to everyone whos applying for 2011:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I love your wallpaper pattern, does it say adam? Its quite difficult to read even when you have spotted the outline, did you do the lettering by cutout or did you paint it straight onto the page?

Ell69 wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm just about to start work on the brief to apply for 2011.
    Have been accepted to a level 6 advanced course for September.
    Great thread would love to know how everyone is doing and how there briefs are coming along!
    Sligo Love your paintings, thought I had something, but pales in comparison to your talents.:eek:
    Best of luck to everyone whos applying for 2011:)

im on holidays in spain at the minute when i should be starting my portfolio....hehe!! :) im going home today though :( how are you getting on with it?? :) thank you very much....im sure you are just as good as me though! its all practise really:D

looksee wrote: »
    I love your wallpaper pattern, does it say adam? Its quite difficult to read even when you have spotted the outline, did you do the lettering by cutout or did you paint it straight onto the page?

thanks looksee:) yup indeed it says "adam" and i painted it with acrylics just on paper........it took ages!! i just painted it straight on, i have a very steady hand mind you but still hard work!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

OMG lads :(. I really have to get cracking. I only have written mind maps done, , was hoping to get most of this done this Summer, and have to go back to do Level 6 Advanced Art in September, so most of my time will be taken up with course work, Realistically I'd say I'd want to have porfolio ready by December! wouldn't you say:(?
    It so difficult, I want to go back as a mature student , but have four kids, and find the time at home hard to dedicate to artwork especially now they're finished scholl for the Summer.
    Time in college is easier because I will be getting kids minded etc, but so hard to work on this portfolio at home, any tips. Any other maturies out there that have children and are working on the brief?:eek:

Advertisement