Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-05-2009, 23:45   #1

portfolio attepmt number two..

i think ill be getting into an art and design course.
like my points are fine.

the thing is i wanted to try out for NCAD and LIT but didnt feel prepared enough.

can u do ur first year then come back and try again to enter another art course next year?

do u lose the grant?

can anyone help?

Advertisement
03-06-2009, 21:57   #2

anyone at all, know anything at all.

pretty please.

much appricated if u have any knowledge of this topic
06-06-2009, 19:30   #3
wmpdd3

Big difference between LSAD and NCAD, what area are you looking to go into?

Did you do any of the interviews last year, which college did you prefer?

What feedback did you get on your protfolio?

Can you describe your best 3 pieces?

In Limerick, you apply for art and after year one you can go on to do: Fashion, design, sculpture, fine art, etc.

As far as I know, you can be liable for fees if you start another course again but you can move within courses ie chose design after 1st year.
06-06-2009, 20:12   #4

painting, photography..

i'm fairly sure i will get into gmit thi year.

i liked LIT the most. but unfortunately i doubt i will get high enough points to be accepted into there.

i finished a whole portfolio at home in three months mostly.was pretty intensive.

conte still life of fruit bowls(colour), sketch of a young girl (blavk and white) and pencil drawing of a fiddle.

yes.but do you know if its possible to actually leave a art course and apply to another one to start 2nd year elsewhere?

thanks a mil
06-06-2009, 20:31   #5
wmpdd3

Yes you can leave your course and start another one like leave art and start business, but you will have to pay fees (not registration) and you could have probs getting your grant.

You can transfer between art degrees if that's any good for example 1st year Limerick 2nd year fine art NCAD, third year LSAD fine art....

You will cover photography in 1st year but looks like you are after a fine art degree.

Did you get more than 320 points in your leaving?
What distinguises your three 2d studies from everybody elses offerings?

Have you any 3d or mixed media pieces?
Advertisement
06-06-2009, 21:16   #6

ya.
exactly.

i'll get over 400 points like. but i wont scrape into the college at that because u have to each 800 hundred points to get into the college.
and 700 people went for interviews in lit this year. many people after doing a plc course.

so im not going to get my hopes up.

nothing exceptional. only photographs of 3d's i had done at school.

i.m not sure... i have my own style. i dont really no what to say about my work. i like it cus its what i have created. the pieces reflet on my life in alot of cases.
or are studies of objects/people in conte, biro, paint, charkol.

are you in art college?
07-06-2009, 21:45   #7
wmpdd3

I did fashion in Limerick in 2000(God was it that long ago!!!!)

I didn't get in to any college on my first attempt even though I went to 5 interviews I think. I had 400 points too so I must have been useless in the portfolio. My 6th year art teacher was great but she could only give me pointers, she couldn't do it form me.

In the end I did a PLC course which was great but If I'd known what I knew in November of the year I could have made a portfolio that would have been good enough to get in.

Think of your self as a high st clothing brand (no serious) Are you New look or Warehouse? you know the difference now get a sheet of card and put images and words on it that say what you are.

Now do all the stereotypical studies that we all had to do but do them in your style and in a way that makes you stand out.

If you can put all your pieces on the floor say in the sports hall in school and look at them are they all the same are the colours the same, are the subjects a bit young/boring/too cool. Try pick 5 words that describe them, now see whats missing and do that.

As your interested in fine art painting I'd advise you to get on the net and get atleast 50 examples of different styles ie impressionism etc. Now look at what you have where does your work fit in? Or have you started a new movement?

If I do a still life and you do one, my one should be different to yours as my back round is design and fashion and your back round should be fine art. I'm not saying theres a right way and a wrong way.

I am saying get a plan and travel along that plan and see where it takes you. Show this with your portfolio and it will give you something to talk about as apposed to;'this is what I've done over the last year, I put them in a big bag and here it is'.

Don't be afraid to approach anybody you know and ask them to look at your portfolio. Put a sign up in school and ask has anybody got a relative that could help.

I hope that makes sense, though I admit when my tutors used to say this to me I used to think, what planet are they on!

Last edited by wmpdd3; 07-06-2009 at 21:51.
08-06-2009, 17:54   #8

you should do a fetac plc course in art and design and it will give you time to make a great portfoilio. works all the time....chances of getting into college are greater too. good luck
09-06-2009, 15:04   #9

where did u do your plc?
i have gti as my backup plan for a fetac course.
my art teacher never helped either. just took a peak at it the day before the interview. gave more proof of the genuine nature of the portfolio in the interview. no outside help like.

they're really great pointers

did u like finish out your course completely in the same university or move around?

and fashion looks like a brilliant course.
Advertisement
09-06-2009, 16:49   #10

did the plc in westport.
abasolutely brilliant course...
09-06-2009, 18:29   #11
wmpdd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful_girl View Post
where did u do your plc?
i have gti as my backup plan for a fetac course.
my art teacher never helped either. just took a peak at it the day before the interview. gave more proof of the genuine nature of the portfolio in the interview. no outside help like.

they're really great pointers

did u like finish out your course completely in the same university or move around?

and fashion looks like a brilliant course.

I left after 2nd year you can't imagine how much money you need to do fashion, materials are the killer try to get as much as possible 2nd hand Buy and sell etc.

I really did love my PLC course but by 2nd year in college I was much older than most of my mates and I had a good job at home and was made full time. At the time the money was great and was about as much as the degree year were making a few years after college, so I left.

But some day........
10-06-2009, 03:01   #12

do you really want to go back now?

you have to do the things you love in life.

otherwise lifes pretty pointless.
10-06-2009, 03:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff kitten View Post
did the plc in westport.
abasolutely brilliant course...
i have never heard of a course there
whats it called?
10-06-2009, 18:58   #14
wmpdd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful_girl View Post
do you really want to go back now?

you have to do the things you love in life.

otherwise lifes pretty pointless.
I agree but I'm a retail fashion manager now so not a million miles away...
11-06-2009, 20:44   #15

thats class.

so u end up doing what u want to do anyways

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion