Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Courses

• 07-07-2013 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

A friend and I were thinking of finding a good History course next September and we were discussing it with a couple of other friends. I fancy Irish history and she was thinking of European history. Any recommendations for courses Wicklow/Kildare/Dublin areas? Another friend remarked that it would be hard to get history taught in an un-biased fashion in any country as tutors might infiltrate the teaching with their own political viewpoint. Surely you would just be taught the facts without tutors putting their own slant on it? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd recommend researching any online history courses that might be around to see if any of interest. As for bias, most people have their own (teachers and pupils alike) and the main aspect is to recognise this and incorporate that into the learning experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Another friend remarked that it would be hard to get history taught in an un-biased fashion in any country as tutors might infiltrate the teaching with their own political viewpoint. Surely you would just be taught the facts without tutors putting their own slant on it?
    That question makes no sense from a historiographical viewpoint. One of the first things that you will/should learn is that history is more than stuff-wot-happened-in-the-past and that historians are more than guardians/chroniclers of 'facts'. The interpretation of historians, biases and all, is integral to history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks Reekwind and Manach. I will keep your advice in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The first law for the historian is that he shall never dare utter an untruth. The second is that he shall suppress nothing that is true.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero 106-43 B.C.

Good point. However, that rule applies to many other professional fields too and totally disregarded by some professionals. Anyway, I suppose I have to see what turns up in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

History is not thought in that manner. It's all about examining primary & secondary sources and arguing your point on events. While historians/teachers may have their opinions any good ones will see it from all angles (unless your completely off the point).

I'm not sure what History courses are run on a local level but you could try somewhere like UCD adult education who run various ones through out the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hello:

a selection of history courses listed here:
    http://www.histories-humanities.tcd.ie/assets/pdf/extramural/provis%20course%20list%202013-14.pdf
    (listing may not be quite current, but contact details on that site to confirm with the individual colleges)

Also, good stuff at TCD, may include something to suit your interests:
    http://www.histories-humanities.tcd.ie/assets/pdf/extramural/provis%20course%20list%202013-14.pdf
    (next year's selection here)

Interesting. Thanks for that info howaya.

Advertisement