Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

formation of new art/ craft groups in your area

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Anyone in the Rathmines knitting group? Is it still running? Or would there be anybody interested in starting a knitting etc (all types of threads allowed) group? I'd be interested in learning crocheting/quilting too. Mainly in Dublin 6 but can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

as far as i know the knitting club in rathmines is in cafe moda, so may be worth giving them a ring to see if it's still running (as far as i know it wa slast year) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

A new knitting group is forming in Athy, Co. Kildare and will be meeting weekly on Sundays from 3:00-5:00 pm, beginning 2nd September at Bradbury's Restaurant on Leinster Street. All knitters (and crocheters) of all skill levels are very welcome to be a part of this informal knitting circle. Questions, send me a private message via boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 karen harper

Hi I have just been pointed in the direction of this forum and I am very impressed. I email a newsletter, NOTICEBOARD, every two weeks to all artists and crafts people in Ireland. At the moment I have over 400 people on my mail list.
    This forum is something I will definately be recommending. I send it to everyone from fine artists to potters, patchworkers to jewellers and anyone in between.
    If you would like to join this growing group, email me at
    harperkaren@eircom.net
    Finding somewhere to join others in the plight to find good suppliers and great deals is always high on priority!
    Keep up the good work, Karen

See the new blog www.irishcraftupdate.com/blog

'Connecting Artists and Crafts People in Ireland'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tracey Lee

My daughter, although, only 8 is fascinated by fashion design and wants to do some kind of class.she's constantly drawing her own designs and wants to learn more. We looked everywhere but can't find many art classes even for her. We are in Wexford, but in Dublin for weekends...

Wondering if you could help..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 loumac

Any info on basic dress making courses once a week (Dublin) I'm a full-time student, so nothing full on. Basic patterns and machine sewing to start. I know Grafton Academy have a course, but I've no info on it. Any takers?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jella17

Hello

I would be interested in Glass especiall kiln formed glass and beadmaking! I live in cork but would travel if there was like a day workshop or something :) Also interested in drawing group kinda thing in cork if anyone is interested, I also want to get back into knitting ;)

Majella

Just to let you all know about Fabric Matters in bray....here is a list of their courses...
    Workshops @ Fabric Gallery

The Fabric Gallery
    4 Village Gate Arcade
    Bray, Co Wicklow

Card Making –

Sewing –
    For both beginners and refreshers ten week sewing classes.
    Learn to make any item of clothing from a pattern.
    €120 per term.
    Sewing machine required.
    18th or 19th Sept – 27th or 28th November. (Tuesday or Wednesday mornings)

Patchwork –
    Learn to quilt and patchwork with Terri McNeill.
    Eight weeks. €120 per term.
    20th Sept. – 15th Nov. (Thursday mornings)
    Contact info@fabricgallery.ie
    or 01 2860979 for more details or to book a place.

Soluble Fabrics
    Using wire, sheers and various different threads, students will learn to create both 2D and 3D objects using various soluble fabrics with embellishment techniques.
    Sewing Machine Required.
    29th September 2007.
    Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95.

Felt Making
    Learn to felt wool fibres, try out different techniques and make a bag in felt using hand stitching on soluble fabrics and mixed fibres.
    Suitable for complete beginners and those with some experience
    20th October 2007. Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95.

Textile Scuplture
    Design & Create wonderful and imaginative 3D sculptures from recycled Cotton T-shirts, Paint & Embellish your piece in one day.
    Think fairies, fantastical figures and more!
    All sculptures are weather resist so can live indoors or out.
    27th October 2007. Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95

Silver Jewellery Making
    Learn to make pure silver jewellery using Art Clay Silver.
    Discover techniques for ring making, stone setting, finishing and much more.
    Enquires Gwen 01-2860979 info@craftcafe.ie

Also if you are interested in making glass beads...
    Ruzica Ruane is in Dublin....www.cadenzaglassbeads.com

Also http://www.derryauncrafts.com/
    Suzie Sullivan of derryaun crafts will put you in contact with glass bead making.

If you are in Dublin I am starting another wire-work class in jewellery making on tuesday 6th Nov and a full day workshop on Dec 8th...others to be confirmed, will book when it suits people email me on karen.noticeboard@gmail.com

Just to let you all know about Fabric gallery in bray....here is a list of their courses...
    Workshops @ Fabric Gallery

The Fabric Gallery
    4 Village Gate Arcade
    Bray, Co Wicklow
    01 2860979

email info@fabric-gallery.com

Card Making –

Sewing –
    For both beginners and refreshers ten week sewing classes.
    Learn to make any item of clothing from a pattern.
    €120 per term.
    Sewing machine required.
    18th or 19th Sept – 27th or 28th November. (Tuesday or Wednesday mornings)

Patchwork –
    Learn to quilt and patchwork with Terri McNeill.
    Eight weeks. €120 per term.
    20th Sept. – 15th Nov. (Thursday mornings)

Soluble Fabrics
    Using wire, sheers and various different threads, students will learn to create both 2D and 3D objects using various soluble fabrics with embellishment techniques.
    Sewing Machine Required.
    29th September 2007.
    Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95.

Felt Making
    Learn to felt wool fibres, try out different techniques and make a bag in felt using hand stitching on soluble fabrics and mixed fibres.
    Suitable for complete beginners and those with some experience
    20th October 2007. Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95.

Textile Scuplture
    Design & Create wonderful and imaginative 3D sculptures from recycled Cotton T-shirts, Paint & Embellish your piece in one day.
    Think fairies, fantastical figures and more!
    All sculptures are weather resist so can live indoors or out.
    27th October 2007. Saturday 10am – 4pm. €95

Silver Jewellery Making
    Learn to make pure silver jewellery using Art Clay Silver.
    Discover techniques for ring making, stone setting, finishing and much more.
    Enquires Gwen 01-2860979 info@craftcafe.ie

Also if you are interested in making glass beads...
    Ruzica Ruane is in Dublin....www.cadenzaglassbeads.com

Also http://www.derryauncrafts.com/
    Suzie Sullivan of derryaun crafts will put you in contact with glass bead making.

If you are in Dublin I am starting another wire-work class in jewellery making on tuesday 6th Nov and a full day workshop on Dec 8th...others to be confirmed, will book when it suits people email me on karen.noticeboard@gmail.com

Opps, the second reply has contact details for Fabric Gallery

Just to tell you about a great new wool shop that has opened in Blackrock, Dublin
    It is in the blackrock market and does not sell acrylic....it has an amazing range of real wools and everything to do with knitting!
    Worth a look if you get a chance.

• Advertisement

FEEDBACK is run by the Irish Craft Association to support, assist, and help artists and craft people move forward in their business.
    It is a casual meeting of like minded people.
    The next meeting is in Hanley Centre, Dunlaoire, Co Dublin. 10.30 - 11.45am

It is set up for everyone from students to 'been around for a while' crafts people and artists. It is also interested in having craft/art suppliers and services as members.

Feedback meetings are where everyone gets a chance to give their view on what is needed next for crafts and help eachother along the way, helped along with refreshments. It is definately not a lecture or formal affair.
    It really works on the individual and their needs.

As the Irish Craft Association grows it hopes to set up these feedback meetings where ever they are requested.

The meetings can be used in many ways - to start a craft together or an open space to get it all out, this is especially vital when you work from home, alone.
    There will be competitions throughout the year, the one coming up is called 'tea cosy'.
    The word ‘craft’ conjures up an old fashioned idea of traditional wares, and the competition is to show how modern and exceptional craft can be!
    Just to let you know, there is modern thinking and open minds out there! For information email irishcraftassociation@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

Hi, I live in Dublin city centre and I was wondering if there was a knitting group there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

there;s one in rathmines as far as i know

HI
    There is a knitting group in Blackrock..if you contact thisisknit.ie you will get all class and session times...there will be another starting on tuesday nights soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

Hi all

I'm looking at starting a fibre-arts group in central Dublin. If anyone is interested there's a thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56462407#post56462407

Kersti

Advertisement