Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using DeGiro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are yous going with basic or custody accounts lads?

I think most go with basic (or so I was told by DeGiro)...custody if your not happy with your shares being used for shorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Voltex wrote: »
    I think most go with basic (or so I was told by DeGiro)...custody if your not happy with your shares being used for shorting.

I always would recommend the custody option, I don't think your getting much in return for letting them use your shares. At least with the custody your positions are without question safe.

A Custody profile is different from a Basic profile in that the securities are held separately from the lending pool of DEGIRO clients’ securities and are thus unable to be loaned to third parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Hi all

I'm currently in Australia and have acquired some Australian domiciled ETFs. However, I'm planning on moving back to Ireland at some stage next year.

I haven't used Degiro before, but see from the website that it allows you to acquire ASX listed shares (which would include my ETF). Does anyone know if I could open an account with them and continue to invest in my portfolio (I'll consider how / if I move across my shareholding once I establish if that is possible).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Hi Folks

I'm new to Degiro and am looking to do research before investing in EFTs. I came across this article; Irish Times about Degiro and tax.

Just wondering has anyone gone through the process of paying tax on gains made on Degiro and what did that entail?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

dakan wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm new to Degiro and am looking to do research before investing in EFTs. I came across this article; Irish Times about Degiro and tax.

Just wondering has anyone gone through the process of paying tax on gains made on Degiro and what did that entail?

Thanks.

Just to answer my own question. I found this blog and it answers the question - Informed Decisions blog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

How large would your portfolio have to be before considering transfering it out of degiro to a more mainstream broker such as Jp Morgan, Fidelity, etc. for safety, and peace of mind. One hundred thousand? One million?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

1. if you use a Custody account, DeGiro can not lend your shares to other institutions and does not hold your shares and money on its own book. So in theory, you'd be completely safe unless DeGiro were to commit fraud.
    2. if DeGiro were to commit fraud, then the Dutch Investor Compensation Scheme will reimburse you up to 20k euro.
    3. if you were to transfer your money to a big investment firm, then they too would in theory operate under the rules laid out in 1. Unless of course they were to commit fraud as well.
    4. most large US investments firms operate under SIPC insurance, which means you can be compensated for up to 500k dollars (a max of 250k of which can be cash). Foreigners investing directly in a US brokerage are also afforded this protection. However, I'm not sure if the EU branches of these firms also operate under SIPC.
    5. investments in US brokers that are over 60k dollars, are in theory susceptible to an inheritance tax, but there is some doubt about how this would play out in practice

Thanks!

Its definitely the best execution-only, buy and hold type of broker

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it possible to buy CEF's through Degiro?
    I often see them mentioned on Seeking Alpha with very nice dividends but it looks like they are like American ETF's which are frustratingly not allowed in the EU, is that the case?
    If so are there any EU ones we can invest or are able to invest in using Degiro, with such tasty dividends?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I wonder what broker some of the big name Irish investors, like say John Magnier, would use?

I presume not discount brokers like degiro but I also think he wouldn't like getting ripped off by a Davy's or Goodbody's either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hakg97

Hey does anyone have the IBAN for Degiro im trying to validate my account by doing the first transfer but this is all ive been given:

Name of beneficiary Stichting DEGIRO
    Sort Code 23-10-48
    Account number 75631100
    Bank name Deutsche Bank

Do I actually have to go into the bank because i cant find the IBAN anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

hakg97 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone have the IBAN for Degiro im trying to validate my account by doing the first transfer but this is all ive been given:

Sort Code 23-10-48
    Account number 75631100
    Bank name Deutsche Bank

https://www.ibancalculator.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

NoteAgent wrote: »
    I wonder what broker some of the big name Irish investors, like say John Magnier, would use?

I presume not discount brokers like degiro but I also think he wouldn't like getting ripped off by a Davy's or Goodbody's either.

Platform like Conexim.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Platform like Conexim.

Never heard of this. I actually looked up my question since lol. Him and JPMcM used Goldman Sachs to purchase their shares in Man Utd way back in the day. Can only imagine what the fees were like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

hakg97 wrote: »

Sort Code 23-10-48
    Account number 75631100
    Bank name Deutsche Bank

Name of beneficiaryStichting DEGIROIBANNL37DEUT0319825019BICDEUTNL2ABank nameDeutsche Bank AGBank addressDe Entree 195, 1101 HE Amsterdam, Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I have a basic account for a long time.

I would like to start trading options, specifically buying calls/puts (never writing).
    I see I can upgrade from basic to active trader. I have to fill out the margin trading documents / agreements.
    I could not find what Degiros default position is if a call expires in the money. Do they auto exercise it? Is this an options?
    I don't plan to exercise any options, only sell and take the premium.

Is their anything I should know about degiro / options trading?

I feel pretty confident but I am cautious as I know options / margin can get you into pretty serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Is there a way to show the total cumulative gain/loss on just the shares still held ?
    The gain shown in the dashboard also includes the realised gains made on shares already sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Iseesheeps

Hello guys, i have just set up my account and wish to start investing although i have a question and I did some search but couldn't find an answer so hoping for some help here, as you can trade in a number of exchanges with Degiro i noticed for certain stocks like Sony or Tesla which am interested in that they are duel listed in both the NASDAQ and Borse Frankfurt exchanges, it seems like a no brainier to buy in the latter to avoid any currency conversion fees and losses in that exchange but is their any advantages to buying from the NASDAQ and dollars as suppose to the FRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I had a stop loss order on Disney for the last few weeks and tomorrow it has just disappeared, the limit wasn't hit, this has happened a few times now, anyone know why this happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Iseesheeps wrote: »
    Hello guys, i have just set up my account and wish to start investing although i have a question and I did some search but couldn't find an answer so hoping for some help here, as you can trade in a number of exchanges with Degiro i noticed for certain stocks like Sony or Tesla which am interested in that they are duel listed in both the NASDAQ and Borse Frankfurt exchanges, it seems like a no brainier to buy in the latter to avoid any currency conversion fees and losses in that exchange but is their any advantages to buying from the NASDAQ and dollars as suppose to the FRA?

FYI I have created a separate thread on that topic: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112010552

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Iseesheeps wrote: »

Buy on Nasdaq!!!

Fees are much lower than European exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I had a stop loss order on Disney for the last few weeks and tomorrow it has just disappeared, the limit wasn't hit, this has happened a few times now, anyone know why this happens?

Was it a day order instead of GTC ( good 'til cancelled)?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

That's happened me a few times too. I think if the price moves too far from your limit it gets cancelled.
    Don't know what the threshold is but you could test it by setting a limit for a ridiculously low number, say 1 dollar, it won't allow you to set it and will show you an error message telling you the allowed threshold.
    A trailing stop would avoid this but is only available on certain European exchanges I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

GTC, I have them on most of my positions but Disney was the only one that disappeared, they were set at 10% below the current price which isn't that far off you would think

I registered with Degiro and I have to say the first impression is pretty bad.

I was considering some precious metal ETFs which are on the list of commission-free ETFs on their Irish website, but after registering I can’t see them on the platform (nor any other gold or silver ETF I am aware of).

I sent an email to customer service to inquire and here is the answer I got:
    DEGIRO wrote:
    Thanks for your contact!

Some ETFs on this list are not available!

The list is outdated!

You can check the products available in the platform!

Any further question please contact us by phone!

So with this I can see:
    - they are advertising stuff on their website which isn’t actually available
    - they don’t seem to care about updating the list which they themselves refer to as outdated
    - the writing style of their reps isn’t exactly very professional
    - they aren’t offering such basic product as a gold or silver ETF, really??

I also sent them another query with regards to share ownership on the platform and entitlement for “bonus shares” some companies are offering to long-term shareholders, and I haven’t received an answer on that one.

Makes me reconsider whether I want to use them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hi. Was hoping for a little advise. Newbie question.

With degiro.

Say I want to invest 1k in a stock and want to use unit cost averaging to buy stock over 5 months.

Say buying 200 euro of stock per month.

Do Degiro charge more in the space of 5 purchases, over a one off 1k purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Hi. Was hoping for a little advise. Newbie question.

With degiro.

Say I want to invest 1k in a stock and want to use unit cost averaging to buy stock over 5 months.

Say buying 200 euro of stock per month.

Do Degiro charge more in the space of 5 purchases, over a one off 1k purchase?

Yes it will cost more to buy 5 times rather than one purchase.

As an example if the stock is a UK company the fee per trade is €4 + 0.058%. So if you were to buy once you only pay the €4 once. If you buy five times you pay €20 + 0.058%

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Bob24 wrote: »
    I registered with Degiro and I have to say the first impression is pretty bad.

I was considering some precious metal ETFs which are on the list of commission-free ETFs on their Irish website, but after registering I can’t see them on the platform (nor any other gold or silver ETF I am aware of).

I sent an email to customer service to inquire and here is the answer I got:

So with this I can see:
    - they are advertising stuff on their website which isn’t actually available
    - they don’t seem to care about updating the list which they themselves refer to as outdated
    - the writing style of their reps isn’t exactly very professional
    - they aren’t offering such basic product as a gold or silver ETF, really??

I also sent them another query with regards to share ownership on the platform and entitlement for “bonus shares” some companies are offering to long-term shareholders, and I haven’t received an answer on that one.

Makes me reconsider whether I want to use them to be honest.

I have never received a response like that from DeGiro normally when I request a Product insertion it happens soon enough. For instance I requested
    iShares Physical Gold ETC on the LSE and it was added within a week.

• Advertisement

heffo500 wrote: »
    I have never received a response like that from DeGiro normally when I request a Product insertion it happens soon enough. For instance I requested
    iShares Physical Gold ETC on the LSE and it was added within a week.

Thanks. For some reason the answer came from the Portuguese customer service email address (although I had used the Irish one to submit my question and the rep’s email signature says Ireland service desk); maybe it has to do with then writing style?

I actually can’t see iShares Physical Gold either. It looks like there is no issue with shares but the choice of ETFs is very limited. I suspect it might be something to do with my account.

Would you mind checking if you can see the one with ISIN JE00B1VS3333? (ETFS PHYSIC SILVER)

Advertisement