Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I did with 23andme and it showed exactly my ancestry. I am very mixed from Brazil, having SSA, Native American, and also Scandinavian, Baltic and even some Irish and British ancestry (2%). Mostly is Southern European being Northen Italians the most close to me. My YDNA is quite common (R1B U152) being very common in North Italy. About 92% of non white Brazilians have European haplogroups, strange thing that I noted is that Scandinavian haplogroup I1 is very common among mixed people due to Dutch colonization. I think Brazilian mixed people are kind of similar to South African coloreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Having recently had an ancestry.co.uk DNA test I was slightly confused to receive a revised profile fairly quickly which changed my DNA makeup quite significantly.
    As a total novice to the interpretation of DNA,could anyone give me any pointers on how to find out about 'DNA marks'.I saw this on a tv programme which traced people's ancestry,the programme was sponsored by 'ancestry'?

Part of reason for changes is due to better size reference sample. So for example I see:

Jan 2015: 3,000+ reference samples

August 2018: 16,000+ reference samples, 500+ possible regions

August 2019: 40,000+ reference samples, 1,000+ possible regions

Basically their calculators are only as good as the reference samples put into them. Over time one would expect more accurate results as more people in a particular region test. However you will have some people from lesser tested regions who might get very generic results still.

For example they only have 14 regions for asia! (19 if you include west asia)

Africa (108 Regions)
    America (86 Regions)
    Asia (14 Regions)
    Europe (810 Regions)
    Pacific Islander (6 Regions)
    West Asia (5 Regions)
    Asia

Burusho
    Central Asia—South
    China
    Dai
    Japan
    Korea & Northern China = 2%
    Mongolia & Central Asia—North
    Northern & Western India
    Northern Asia
    Philippines = 89%
    Southeast Asia
    Southern & Eastern India
    Vietnam

My other half got 89% for the Philippines and 2% for 'Korea & Northern China' (ironic given her Netflix viewing habits!). In their current iteration they split her European component as been 4% Spanish and 5% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe. (they also had a <1% connection to Nigeria)

Of course in her case we know that one of her Great-Grandfathers was Spanish.

23andme in comparison seems to have more sample Asian populations. They put a potential Chinese input at about 2.2% with potential links to Guangdong and Fuijan. Which would make sense as these are directly north of the Philippines across the South China sea.

They also split the Philippines into at least 10 regions where she shows potential connections. Unsurprising the region with highest probability that they predict is where she is actually from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Quick question.

Can I download y-DNA results from FT-DNA with a view to uploading them to GEDmatch?

All I can find is a link to download a spreadsheet from FT-DNA but I don't think that's what's required.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Hermy wrote: »
    Quick question.

Can I download y-DNA results from FT-DNA with a view to uploading them to GEDmatch?

All I can find is a link to download a spreadsheet from FT-DNA but I don't think that's what's required.
    GEDmatch doesn't accept y-DNA, only autosomal.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

The usual DNA test that people take to find relatives and to look at their ethnicity is "Autosomal" and that is what can be uploaded to Gedmatch, MyHeritage etc

Y Dna as you know just covers the male line only and cannot be uploaded anywhere as far as I know except to groups that have connections to each other say by surname or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

If you've done the Big Y, you can upload your Y-DNA results to YFull but that cost $49.

I'm probably confusing surname projects with GEDmatch.

Thanks for the replies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm probably confusing surname projects with GEDmatch.

Thanks for the replies.

Generally when it comes to projects in FTDNA all you need to do is login into your FTDNA account and browse to project page, you can then usually do a join request.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Generally when it comes to projects in FTDNA all you need to do is login into your FTDNA account and browse to project page, you can then usually do a join request.

Cheers Dubh.

I've done that for an in-law whose test I'm helping him with.

In the case of that in-laws test, when I click Join A Project there are eight Matching Projects listed.
    Do you happen to know what is the criteria upon which this list is based?

Are they the only projects genetically relevant to my in-law or is it rather that some of his matches are also members of these projects?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cheers Dubh.

In the case of that in-laws test, when I click Join A Project there are eight Matching Projects listed.

Are they the only projects genetically relevant to my in-law or is it rather that some of his matches are also members of these projects?

It's long time since I've join a project personally (8-10 years?) but I imagine you might be getting a list based on ancestral surnames (if you inputed them) or geography?

Obviously you can search for any project and hit join, depending on the project there might be automatic join process or ye'll have to wait for an admin to review application etc.

• Advertisement

Cheers Dubh.

I think that the suggested projects are purely based on what projects have members with your surname. For example, one of my recommended projects is Hebrw DNA Research which is not relevant but one member has my surname. I have 92 recommended projects since my surname is so common.

All bar one of the eight suggested projects are geographic in theme (Australia, New Zealand, USA) but bizarrely the one that is surname related has my surname which is relatively uncommon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cragaun

I did a DNA test on ancestry a couple of years back. Some close matches who could perhaps help tie out a project I am working with a few others have not logged in to ancestry in a year plus.

I have sent a message on ancestry including my email contact address. Does anyone know if the message will reach their email if they no longer have an active sub on ancestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Cragaun wrote: »
    I did a DNA test on ancestry a couple of years back. Some close matches who could perhaps help tie out a project I am working with a few others have not logged in to ancestry in a year plus.

I have sent a message on ancestry including my email contact address. Does anyone know if the message will reach their email if they no longer have an active sub on ancestry?

I still get email notifications about messages I receive on ancestry, even without an active subscription.

Im not sure if this setting can be changed but my guess is that it's possible!

I have a similar situation to you as well, it can be quite frustrating not getting replies, especially when the match appears really close and could be a great help in solving a few brick walls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have not received messages in the past when I had no subscription but like Kanadams123, I've heard others say they have.

What I do know is that Ancestry is rolling out a new much improved messaging system. It's launched in the USA so we should have it soon. This new systems looks more modern, with conversation threads and it shows you when the message was read. Search facilities will be much better too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cragaun

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I have not received messages in the past when I had no subscription but like Kanadams123, I've heard others say they have.

What I do know is that Ancestry is rolling out a new much improved messaging system. It's launched in the USA so we should have it soon. This new systems looks more modern, with conversation threads and it shows you when the message was read. Search facilities will be much better too.

Interesting about the search options. I missed two children on the baptism record who are core to this search on baptism rrecords on ancestry but a friend found them on roots.

To clarify, I meant the ability to search within the messages, rather than the whole site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, you can receive messages without a subscription on AncestryDNA. You can also initiate messsages with DNA matches without a subscription. I get notified of new messages by email but there may be a way to turn it off.

My y-DNA results have just come back and I have no matches.

Obviously not what I was hoping for but is there anything I can infer from this?

Genealogy Forum Mod

What level of marker did you test to, Hermy?

i.e. if you did Y37, make sure you also check if you've matches at 25 and 12 markers. You will get notifications all the time about matches, don't worry.

I started with very few matches on my uncle's test but barely a day goes by without some hit now. But no matches to our surname yet.

All you can really infer at this stage is that no one in the database matches you right now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    All you can really infer at this stage is that no one in the database matches you right now.

Yeah, I kinda thought that was the answer before I posted.

I tested at 37 but there are no matches at 25 or 12 either.

I was hoping against hope that this might finally reveal my paternal side but time and patience and all that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Obviously not what I was hoping for but is there anything I can infer from this?

That is very odd. Most Irish people seem to get lots of matches at Y-12. What is your predicted haplogroup? R-M269 would be most common for Irish people. My dad has 737 Y-25 matches and, if I remember correctly when I last checked, about 15,000 Y-12 matches. However, at the moment, I get the message:

12 MARKERS - 0 - MATCHES
    Something went wrong. Please try again later.

Are you getting this message by any chance? If you are, you might have lots of Y-12 matches if you check later. Unfortunately, they won't be much help either way. My dad is lucky enough to have lots of surname matches but I'd be amazed at someone having no Y-12 matches.

Edit: My dad's Y-12 matches loaded correctly. It might have been because I was trying to do it on my phone. He has 18,331 Y-12 matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What is your Haplogroup? I have only 5 or 6, but I am in Haplogroup I which I think is found in about 10% to 15% of Irish males. It is then broken down into three sub-groups and the one I am in can be broken down further to a group that is found most frequently in the Galloway region of Scotland and tends to skew towards people of a plantation background in Ireland.
    You must one of the other "funky" ones like C or G.

Interestingly, I once contacted someone who was fairly closely related to me and asked him about his haplogroup J findings, his male background was from Clare and the only match he got was someone from Saudi Arabia.

Ipso wrote: »
    What is your Haplogroup?
    Haplogroup is R-M269.
    srmf5 wrote: »
    Are you getting this message by any chance?

No, not getting that message.

Genealogy Forum Mod

M-269 is very broad, could be a delay in getting results or who knows maybe a rare clade.

Every man I've tested with Irish ancestry is R-M269. None of them is related to each other in a genealogical period!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Has anyone had a large increase in matches due to year end sales etc? Supposedly 23andme have said their sales are on the way down, I haven't had as many new matches pop up as this time last year, like wise with Family Tree DNA.

Friend of mine reported a bunch of new matches this week on My Heritage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy,

Can you join the Ireland yDNA Project in FTDNA and send me a pm with your kit number. I can check you against other project members and see if there are any implied matches.

By default all Western Eurasian R1b is going to get a prediction of M269. You will only get a more precise terminal haplogroup via further testing such as with a SNP bundle etc.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/ireland-heritage

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement