Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The beauty of A Christmas Carol

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

saw animated version the other day with Jim Carrey as Scrooge. Enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wasn't too impressed by last nights 1st episode.

But will stick with it.
    I thought that Guy Pearce didn't look old enough to be they stereotyped Scrooge. I also thought he seemed less miserly than the character described in the book (which I read every Christmas).
    I'm not thinking this is a great version: it's interesting watching but just not what Dickens wrote.
    Yep probably the most famous line from the book, strange they left it out
    That omission really annoyed me when watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AKF

Yep probably the most famous line from the book, strange they left it out

Sadly it isn't strange that it was left out.

What Scrooge said was true, we don't want to admit it but the truth is surplus population is the biggest problem facing humanity (particularly at this moment in time) and pathetically no government or international body has the balls to say this publicly, and the generally cowardly the media never wants to say it either so the BBC hasn't the balls to leave the line that most people remember from the book because the truth hurts and their afraid of being accused of being racist if the line is left in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AKF wrote: »

What Scrooge said was true, we don't want to admit it but the truth is surplus population is the biggest problem facing humanity (particularly at this moment in time) and pathetically no government or international body has the balls to say this publicly, and the generally cowardly the media never wants to say it either so the BBC hasn't the balls to leave the line that most people remember from the book because the truth hurts and their afraid of being accused of being racist if the line is left in.

Presume you're core population and not surplus to requirements?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

seenitall wrote: »
    Probably too PC sensitive these days. As one of the open secrets of the era we live in that the real trouble with destruction of the climate and resources of the planet is the overpopulation. Too close to the bone now, as it were.

No matter how innocuous the topic AH will always draw them out of the woodwork :D

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Presume you're core population and not surplus to requirements?

I'm not suggesting we organise a cull.Nothing you can really do about the people who are already here but I am suggesting that overpopulation should be a much bigger discussion point all over the world and it would be prudent to start implementing measure to reduce birth rates all over the world and it would have been sensible if 50 years ago when we knew population was an governments should have tried to implement measures to reduce birth rates.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not suggesting we organise a cull.Nothing you can really do about the people who are already here but I am suggesting that overpopulation should be a much bigger discussion point all over the world and it would be prudent to start implementing measure to reduce birth rates all over the world and it would have been sensible if 50 years ago when we knew population was an governments should have tried to implement measures to reduce birth rates.
    The Chinese did and were massively criticised for it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No matter how innocuous the topic AH will always draw them out of the woodwork :D

The issue of the line being excluded is not innocuous.

It's probably the most memorable line from the book and it wasn't included in the TV program I don't think it was done as part of the editing process to save time it clearly was excluded on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The one with Patrick Stewart is my favourite, they haven't shown it for a few years now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Mickeroo wrote: »

Drew who out of the woodwork? Since you've quoted me, would you mind elaborating?

You may not agree with my point, but then you'd do better to reply to it, instead of a cowardly dig at "them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The second episode of the BBC adaptation very mixed opinion on it. The Child abuse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Don’t like Dickens or A Christmas Carol.

But love Scrooged and Mickey's Christmas Carol. Bit of much needed humour and inventiveness missing from the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The Alister Simms version was on yesterday.

They best one bar none. He's superb as Scrooge acting is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The 1971 animated film has the creepiest Jacob Marley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

mariaalice wrote: »
    Except for all the cheating on his wife and his attempts to have her declared insane even though she wasn't, so that he could have her locked in an insane asylum so he could marry a teenager.

I loved the urchin peeing on Marley's headstone and him being awoken from death by pee dripping down through his grave onto his face. That was a hilarious way to reveal the inscription on the headstone. Calling him a skinflint old bastard when he did up his pants was the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fell asleep about five minutes in last night. And BBC player says it's restricted.

Pain. Not sure there's much point watching episode three tonight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A Christmas Carol, just started > Channel 4HD
    1984 version with George C Scott .....

Enjoy.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Fell asleep about five minutes in last night. And BBC player says it's restricted.

Pain. Not sure there's much point watching episode three tonight now.
    The Ghosts of Christmas Present and Christmas Future haven't arrived yet and it looks like there could be a twist so it might be worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

They were probably loath to do something so obvious but I wish The Simpsons had done a version. They referenced it in Grift of The Magi and some later lame episode but a full episode in their hey day would have been glorious.

• Advertisement

I have to say, Guy Pearce is now my first ever SILF :D (I know, I know, showing my age again...)

And if you think that's weird and wrong, I'd say that we have long gone past the weirdness stage in this adaptation, what with the child sex abuse of young Scrooge, and him blackmailing a yummy mummy into sex... I wonder what delights await us in the last episode?

I have to say, Guy Pearce is now my first ever SILF :D (I know, I know, showing my age again...)

And if you think that's weird and wrong, I'd say that we have long gone past the weirdness stage in this adaptation, what with the child sex abuse of young Scrooge, and him blackmailing a yummy mummy into sex... I wonder what delights await us in the last episode?
    You might enjoy Tom Hardy in Taboo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDV8tXLLOmg

You might enjoy Tom Hardy in Taboo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDV8tXLLOmg

Thank you, I might - I do like him. As it happens, he was a producer on this version of ACC, and his wife, Charlotte Riley, plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.

Thank you, I might - I do like him. As it happens, he was a producer on this version of ACC, and his wife, Charlotte Riley, plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.
    Apparently he's very appealing to mummies, even mummies who don't have children, on CBEEBIES Story time. I'm sure I can't think why. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

There is some seriously dark, uncomfortable sh1t in this adaptation. I don't think anyone was gonna leave out any unpleasant truth. Think they were just ****ing with the audience.

It's a line in a classic book. The BBC is hardly afraid to leave that in. It's even included in a kids version (the Muppets one). And how would it be seen as racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I prefer Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Missing Die Hard 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a fantastic novel.

You can't go wrong with its basic premise that money alone can not bring you happiness and treating other people with kindness (especially those less well off) is of far greater importance.

A major side result of the book is the role it played in popularising Christmas in popular culture and in society : Christmas was barely even being celebrated in England in the mid 19th Century.

Advertisement