Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why were the national antiquites taken of the online map on OSI?

Options
  • 24-06-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi why was the national antiquites like ruined churches, abbey's, earthworks, castles taken of the Ordance Survey Ireland online map. You used to be able
    to see them marked in red but OSI didn't put them up anymore? Does anyone know where I can see them online? I know they are in the discovery series maps.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Hi why was the national antiquites like ruined churches, abbey's, earthworks, castles taken of the Ordance Survey Ireland online map. You used to be able
    to see them marked in red but OSI didn't put them up anymore? Does anyone know where I can see them online? I know they are in the discovery series maps.

I am not sure they were ever comprehensive in their coverage. In contrast the records on archaeology.ie are superb (the Archaeological Survey Database). The national monument service deserve a lot of credit for making it so accessible and advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

robp wrote: »
    I am not sure they were ever comprehensive in their coverage. In contrast the records on archaeology.ie are superb (the Archaeological Survey Database). The national monument service deserve a lot of credit for making it so assessable and advanced.

Thanks but I used to see them marked in red on this map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,561762,728969,3,10 but then they disappeared I think I e-mailed them one day but no reply back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

its available here but its not the best search function ever made ya get the hang of it after a few goes;)

http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/

really really helps if you know the parish area you wish to define:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

davycc wrote: »
    its available here but its not the best search function ever made ya get the hang of it after a few goes;)

http://webgis.archaeology.ie/NationalMonuments/FlexViewer/

really really helps if you know the parish area you wish to define:cool:

thanks I do....its odd that they were on the OSI.ie map and all of a sudden taken completly off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

thanks I do....its odd that they were on the OSI.ie map and all of a sudden taken completly off there.

very strange of the osi they are usually more postitive with their webpage...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

From what I've heard the OSI changed over to a new mapping system for their online service. The maps you are referring to with the wee red dots are known as the discovery series and are a commercial product sold by the OSI. which can be bought online or in old fashioned paper format .
    TBH the criteria for including monuments on discovery series maps seems to have been very arbitrary. The National Monuments Service online mapping available at www.archaeology.ie is vastly superior

Advertisement