Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tianjin vs Dongguan vs Dalian

• 24-12-2015 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,
    Moving to China to live in one of these cities for a year.
    I've looked up as much information on them as I can.

I'm leaning towards Tianjin, but the pollution is really putting me off.
    I'd like to hear anyone's experience/opinions to help me decide.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well I live in Shanghai and haven't been to any of these.
    But my girlfriend had to go up to Dalian for a few days for work last month and liked what she saw of Dalian.
    Apparently it's one of China's most liveable cities though bloody cold in winter.
    Has a nice coastline too.
    I imagine it's less polluted than the others.
    Looking today, it has an aqi of 55 compared to 268 in Tianjin, though that can vary. That would be a pretty big factor for me.
    Just realised Dongguan is way down south, so will probably have a nice mild climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thrash

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.
    Now if only I could get a few more opinions, i'll be set! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

No worries, hopefully someone else has some more in depth knowledge of these cities.
    Maybe these could help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dalian

I'm sure you could find some forums specific to these places too.

Good luck and enjoy China, it's an experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I spend a lot of time in Dalian and like it a lot.

Cold but dry in the winter, nice in warm during the summer but gets wet towards the end.

Pollution wise it depends on the which part of the peninsula you reside in. The south east is nice and air in the coastal areas is generally helped by a nice sea breeze. Some of the more industrial parts are of course more polluted.

In my experience people in Dalian 'Dongbei ren' seem more relaxed and friendly than some of the other cities.

There is an interesting fusion of Chinese, Japanese and Russian cultures also - the local dialect incorporates slang from all of those languages - although there are alot of "blow in's" and it's use is becoming less prevalent.

The food is good too. The north easterners generally eat lots of wheat foods like noodles, dumplings etc. and food is a bit heavier than down south. Dalian is also famous for it's seafood.

Advertisement