Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tefl or tesol in china

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Yeah when I get my Costa Americano every day (25 kuai = roughly 3 euro) I have to remind myself that although I am paying Irish prices (expensive) when I convert the price to a Chinese wage it is insanely expensive.

It's weird, getting the coffee is less about the coffee and more about having a short "back home" experience, if you get me.

• Yeah when I get my Costa Americano every day (25 kuai = roughly 3 euro) I have to remind myself that although I am paying Irish prices (expensive) when I convert the price to a Chinese wage it is insanely expensive.

It's weird, getting the coffee is less about the coffee and more about having a short "back home" experience, if you get me.

I totally understand. As much as I love living here, i do need the occasional break. Starbucks is one of the few pleasures where I can almost completely relax, and read a good book without fear of being interrrupted by someone wanting to practice their English.. I don't think I ever went to Starbucks at home. :D

Funny, in Costa today I was interrrupted by someone wanting to practice their English!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Do you get much opportunity to travel around the countryside and do some sightseeing, or are the cities just too stimulating to want to leave?

WindSock wrote: »
    Do you get much opportunity to travel around the countryside and do some sightseeing, or are the cities just too stimulating to want to leave?

I haven't done much (any) travelling in China yet, but I just spent two months travelling across Russia and Mongolia so I'm happy to do nothing for a while.

But in theory, the transport links out of Beijing are excellent so I could easily do a trip each weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

300 3000rmb in a club
    FYP

I would regularly spend a few thousand each night I go out. Shanghai is positively expensive. $9USD a beer in quite a few places.
    It's actually cheaper to do bottles. 1100RMB for a vodka is far cheaper than drinking individual bottles of beer in the same place. It also gets you a table in most places.
    This rings true across much of asia. Many locals will get a table and a bottle, but the bottle will be drank across 2 nights. It's mostly for "face".
    Do you get much opportunity to travel around the countryside
    Most of the Chinese countryside is an impoverished kip. You cant go far without running out of road/hotels/food etc. Living in a city makes you forget its a developing country. Go any distance and you get reminded quickly. However, any major tourist area has a decent city nearby, and many resort areas are well catered for.
    I guess what I'm saying is that any country touring will usually have be a proper excursion rather than a casual daytrip.

fluffer wrote: »
    Most of the Chinese countryside is an impoverished kip. You cant go far without running out of road/hotels/food etc. Living in a city makes you forget its a developing country. Go any distance and you get reminded quickly.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though!

I spent a month in Mongolia (no roads, no electricity, no toilets, no plumbing, no police, no doctors, etc.) and it was an absolutely AMAZING experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I plan on taking the Russia / Mongolia route too, don't think I would mind the Chinese countryside too much, sure there's plenty of it :)

What is the story with taking holidays from English teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Wow! This thread is brilliant. So much info! Quick question though that seems more specific to my own situation and that hasn't come up yet.

Could a non-native English speaker still get work in China? I know it would be harder definitely, but would it be possible? My bf is Polish, living in Ireland for over five years, has an Irish accent, speaks like a native but isn't a native and can't be bothered applying for Irish citizenship because it takes two years and costs €950 (so he wouldn't be able to fake Irishness when we'd get to China). How do you think he would fare if we decided to make the move?

WindSock wrote: »
    What is the story with taking holidays from English teaching?

In China you generally only get the national holidays and perhaps a few other days off. But from what I've seen if you give lots of notice you can take unpaid leave. (Depends on the company I'm sure).

number10a wrote: »
    Could a non-native English speaker still get work in China?

The school where my girlfriend works (over 100 teachers) - only a handful of them are native English speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

number10a wrote: »
    Wow! This thread is brilliant. So much info! Quick question though that seems more specific to my own situation and that hasn't come up yet.

Could a non-native English speaker still get work in China? I know it would be harder definitely, but would it be possible? My bf is Polish, living in Ireland for over five years, has an Irish accent, speaks like a native but isn't a native and can't be bothered applying for Irish citizenship because it takes two years and costs €950 (so he wouldn't be able to fake Irishness when we'd get to China). How do you think he would fare if we decided to make the move?

The advice I'd give would only apply to Dalian, but most schools there will not accept non-native speakers and have a preference for Americans or Canadians (though thats more to do with the wishes of their customers). I know quite a few recruiters there, and if someone is not a citizen of USA, Canada, Ireland, UK, NZ or Austrailia, they are told upfront that they will almost certainly not be granted a visa to work as an English teacher.

So my advice, in the interests of your bf, don't go to Dalian!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 luckyjane

free accommodation and food. with €250 bonus
    it is good for a young man.

luckyjane wrote: »

Yeah but he can do better...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Funglegunk wrote: »
    The advice I'd give would only apply to Dalian, but most schools there will not accept non-native speakers and have a preference for Americans or Canadians

Well I don't know much about Dalian but I've come across plenty of (white) foreign teachers with terrible English in Beijing, mainly Russians.

I know one girl who just says she's American and the school doesn't know any different, she has the thickest Russian accent you'll ever hear.
    luckyjane wrote: »

No, that deal (€200 a month) is not good in Beijing no matter what way you swing it.

Hmm, just going through this thread, I never ended up reading after my initial posts.
    For example, in college today (in Beijing) I spent 4.5 kuai (45 cent) on lunch. This is neither really cheap nor really expensive. I had rice, tofu & onions.

That is CRAZY cheap for most places in Beijing.
    Was this street food?

No, normal Chinese restaurant.

Well I think it's safe to say that is very cheap, you're not likely to find that meal any cheaper in the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CongressTart

What's the best way to go about getting teaching job in China? I have no contacts but plan to perhaps do a Celta course. Would I get contacts through the course and should I avoid agencies altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 martin09

Keep it as a general rule of thumb that almost all aspects of Chinese life are corrupt. Do not pay any agency fees or any money upfront. I have experience of only one English language school: its a nationwide company called New Dynamic Institute and I enjoyed working there. You will find conflicting information on almost all schools as experiences differ from person to person and from school to school.

Do remember that it is expensive to live in Chinese cities. While locals will purchase food at market stalls - most foreigners will shop at Walmart, Carrefour etc. These are prohibitively expensive relative to the salary you will get. An apartment may be included in your contract: ensure that you receive a contract.
    Try to find employment with a larger company where there are other foreign (English speaking employees). Without Chinese (language) you will feel isolated and lonely.
    Please remember that I do not intend to sound negative. Teaching in China can be a wonderful experience but remember to prepare well and research your prospective employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

martin09 wrote: »
    Keep it as a general rule of thumb that almost all aspects of Chinese life are corrupt.
    Please remember that I do not intend to sound negative.

This must be the famous Irish sense of humor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 martin09

Perhaps you could make a valid point rather than an obscure remark. The person was asking for information. If you disagree say so: no offence will be taken. Its one fault with 'boards' - some people dont like a factual opinion and they then resort in a vague or personal way . Why not lend the enquirer the value of your wisdom and experience.

The only controversial point I made was regarding corruption in China. Most who have worked there, done business there will attest to the fact that Chinese officials demand money at every turn. Anything can be purchased: marriage licence, visas, work permits etc etc. That is not to offend Chinese people - rather it is to state a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

I also want to state a fact which is not intended to offend the Irish people either.
    martin09 wrote: »
    Perhaps you could make a valid point rather than an obscure remark. The person was asking for information. If you disagree say so: no offence will be taken. Its one fault with 'boards' - some people dont like a factual opinion and they then resort in a vague or personal way . Why not lend the enquirer the value of your wisdom and experience.

The only controversial point I made was regarding corruption in China. Most who have worked there, done business there will attest to the fact that Chinese officials demand money at every turn. Anything can be purchased: marriage licence, visas, work permits etc etc. That is not to offend Chinese people - rather it is to state a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Well, is it, or is it not corrupt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

fluffer wrote: »
    This rings true across much of asia. Many locals will get a table and a bottle, but the bottle will be drank across 2 nights. It's mostly for "face".

Yes, as in $hitfaced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I have a skype interview tomorrow for a English teaching job in Shenzhen. It's a job teaching business English to adults, offering 6500rmb per month with accommodation. I don't have any teaching experience, just a degree and a TEFL. And while I've toyed with the idea of living and teaching abroad, the China interview was a real spur of the moment thing gotten from a friend who is already living in Shenzhen and loving it. I'm not even sure if I would take the job if offered. Certainly so much of it appeals to me, but I'm so daunted by moving to such a vastly different country. I spent time in Vietnam and Cambodia and absolutely loved it. I wonder how I would cope in China.

6500 per month is not good for Shenzhen.

Personally I do not like Shenzhen as it is crazy sleazy.

China is an interesting place though. Worth the risk imo.

6500rmb is very low pay; you will be the cheap labour. In China of all places..
    Without free accommodation you'll be destitute, and you are unlikely to be pleased with accommodation provided.

You say you have a degree and a TEFL. What is the degree in? You might be FAR better off getting a job in a related field.
    There are also plenty of jobs available in F&B (Hotels, bars, clubs, cafes, restaurants etc.) if you have any experience. Not that it's my field.

I have also lived in Vietnam, and traveled to Cambodia. I would vote yes for those countries in a second.

I would recommend most people to put China well down their list unless they are looking at executive level pay. (International)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Yeah I reckoned 6500 was very low pay, the employers said it's very good but of course they'll say that. I might look elsewhere. Even with accommodation included, I don't want to be completely slumming it. I'm doing that here already :o

I am about to get crucified by the English teachers on here but I have to say that as an expat you should be looking for higher than you are paid for the equivalent job at home. If not then to afford the same standard of living .

Getting a similar standard of living to what you already have will cost multiples of what it costs - in Ireland-.

6500 rmb = 815 euro =1045 usd.

Getting an apartment that you wouldn't immediately walk out of in Ireland will cost half of that.
    I'm typing this as I eat a 40rmb sandwich and 30rmb juice in a third tier city.

I live in shanghai and this is cheaper than there.

Yes you can live in a 500rmb apartment and eat street food every day. But you will live a lifestyle lower than the poor in Ireland had 40 years ago.

You are a university educated individual with an unrestricted worldwide passport. Use it wisely.

• Advertisement

In Beijing you start on at least 12,000 RMB.

Advertisement