Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

dh0661 wrote: »
    Is that the hotel near the Cork roundabout near Supervalue or the one near the Tralee roundabout near Lidl ?.
    Did this happen suddenly or was the writing on the cards for a while ?.
    TBH either one of them never impressed me for a Sunday lunch.

ah the one by lidl is nice. Got a free lunch before christmas cos my laser card wasnt working so they just told me have a merry christmas. Thats given em one loyal customer forever more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

teaholic wrote: »
    It will open again in a few months under a different name but because of the "liquidation" there is no guarntee of redundency, severance pay or holidays owed.

It seems that it is the operating company that is in liquidation so more than likely it will have new operators by the Summer but a personal opinion is that the town is getting "scary" looking. Loads of empty units to let and one or two more to close

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm from Killarney but living in Dublin, down a good bit though.

Aye- the old Ryans is closing. Used work there in my teens, they were unionised so I reckon this is one way of getting in new staff on buttons.

What the fcuk is with McSoreholes,€3 for a jacket and the plastic cups in the nightclub- they're like half litres instead of pints, what a rip off that place is.

What the fcuk is with McSoreholes,€3 for a jacket and the plastic cups in the nightclub- they're like half litres instead of pints, what a rip off that place is.

Some poor sucker has to pay the mortgage because the property market has crashed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm from Killarney but living in Dublin, down a good bit though.

Aye- the old Ryans is closing. Used work there in my teens, they were unionised so I reckon this is one way of getting in new staff on buttons.

That place has always been a rip off. Their drink is also the most expensive in town. I think a pint bottle is like 5.40 or something (4.90 in the grand, 4.70 in the Granary).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

newman10 wrote: »
    It seems that it is the operating company that is in liquidation so more than likely it will have new operators by the Summer but a personal opinion is that the town is getting "scary" looking. Loads of empty units to let and one or two more to close

Ya its Carvanna Ltd that is in liquidation but, they kept the Quality name when they took over and sold off all of the other Qualitys in Ireland. There is development on the site going ahead in March or April but it wont be Carvanna that have it.

(I wrote the last post when I was really angry and probably didnt make myself really clear.. sorry about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Killarney is becoming more and more like a ghost-town than a Tourist-town.

- Many hotels are closed right now and have informed staff that their is no guarantee they will be taken back when re-opened.
    - The shops in the town are all having sales with some closing-down.
    - The buildings particularly up High Street are turning derelict, shabby and empty.
    - Killarney is built completely around Tourism and right-now is feeling the pinch (unlike Tralee which is more of a complete business-town).

It is sad to see a town like Killarney getting hit so bad. Hopefully though some few tourists will visit around mid-April onward to help put some bounce and spirit back into the town. But until then it is a case of batton-down the hatches and stay positive.

We will be lucky if we dont have 2 or 3 mor closures befor April. Too many hotels in Town

I heard that there was problems with the Aghadoe Heights too. The spa there is only open a few days a week, only on the weekends

kerry4sam wrote: »
    - The shops in the town are all having sales with some closing-down.
    - The buildings particularly up High Street are turning derelict, shabby and empty.
    - Killarney is built completely around Tourism and right-now is feeling the pinch (unlike Tralee which is more of a complete business-town).

kerry4sam you are right but all is not well in Tralee either. The town centre is a shambles with up to 8 businesses wanting to close or in the process of doing so.

What make Tralee more complete is Manor.

• Advertisement

teaholic wrote: »
    I heard that there was problems with the Aghadoe Heights too. The spa there is only open a few days a week, only on the weekends

Word is that it is for Sale. Must go to Charlie Foleys more often

One of the managers wants to pull out apparently

So whos painting all the mice around the town??I kinda like them,but im syre some of the locals dont.

Yeah some of the locals don't like them so much when they are painted on their private properties and have painted over them. The ones that are left are fading which is a shame - It was an ingenious idea that got the locals talking and created a buzz around the town "Did you see xyz painted by some fella during the night" ... "Was it stenciling I wonder?". They look quirkey but yeah some locals have painted over a few of them. Don't think anyone knows for definite who was behind it though

newman10 wrote: »
    ...Must go to Charlie Foleys more often

Foleys is a good spot alright & I also don't go there as often as I'd like, The Laune next door also has a good buzz in the place over the week-ends

Straight across the road to Den Joe's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

bump...

how come this isnt a stick thread, but the other town threads are
    discrimination!!

there has to be regular discussion and just banter here. Doesnt seem to be much going on in killarney at the mo in fairness. It was like a ghist town this morning. Hopefully there wont be a huge drop in tourists visiting the town this summer. Or else it could be very baad news indeed :(

Mods:

Can we move the Best Pubs and Clubs in Killarney thread into the actual Killarney thread? It would make more sense and create a tad more banter in the actual Killarney thread in my opinion

Mods:

Can we move the Best Pubs and Clubs in Killarney thread into the actual Killarney thread? It would make more sense and create a tad more banter in the actual Killarney thread in my opinion
    sounds like a good idea to me.

the town has been extremely quiet over the winter, but lately there has been more a buzz arund town.

dmeehan wrote: »
    the town has been extremely quiet over the winter, but lately there has been more a buzz arund town.

What is up with some teenagers in the town converging on the streets every Friday and getting involved in pure petty scrapping: I saw over 60teenagers all running down a 1-way street -- creating a backlog of traffic -- preventing even the paddywagon from getting to the scene of the scrap and even girls rolling around the ground pulling the hair out of their heads just gets me just pure :mad: . What ever happened to just enjoying an evening in the town for a change.

Their is a good buzz building in the town as of late aside from the above though, and it's well needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

Teens don't have anything to do, pure and simple. I went to McD's the other day and there was about 30 kids hanging out in the car park drinking and smoking. It was pretty sad really.

If there was something like the bowling alley in Tralee or a proper arcade. Maybe if the KDYS did something more interesting like Wii competitions or tournaments that are held later in the evening. Killarney needs a big wake up call to be fair. Nothing to do except spend money on booze and cigarettes. The cinema gets boring and is too expensive.

It is shameful that they have nothing to do or even anywhere to go in the evenings once the KDYS closes or goes onto the older age-groups leaving them walking the town, hanging round street corners and generally bored.

Has anyone any tips or suggestions?

It is shameful that they have nothing to do or even anywhere to go in the evenings once the KDYS closes or goes onto the older age-groups leaving them walking the town, hanging round street corners and generally bored.

Has anyone any tips or suggestions?

What time does the kdys close?
    To be honest this is a national as fa as I can see and the problem is there is no easy solution. in Tralee there is the arcade and things but there are certain reasons for most kids not going there. Like most places nowadays tbh

What time does the kdys close?
    To be honest this is a national as fa as I can see and the problem is there is no easy solution. in Tralee there is the arcade and things but there are certain reasons for most kids not going there. Like most places nowadays tbh

Yeah it seems to be happening the length and breath of this country. What towns have facilities, not all feel comfortable going to for one reason or another.
    I worked in the KDYS years ago in the drop-in centre at the week-ends and it usually closed at 11:30pm. Their were honestly at least 100+ youngsters hanging round the town until 1am last Friday night and I just felt sheer shame that they'd nothing better to do as they clearly didn't want to be at home. For some reason though, it only seems to be Fridays (and not Saturday nights).
    The sad thing now though is that the finance is just not there in the town now for anything to be built or transformed into something decent for them.

well it all lies in education doesnt it?
    If certain children where not brought up in the "celtic tiger" it might have been good for em
    Many kids are spoilt nowadays and expect everything hand and foot.Not saying all now but there is alot of fun to be had by just hanging at friends houses imo.
    Also these kids that are actually hanging round the town are automatically thought of as a threat and are dealt with wrongly. If Some of em are treated with more respcet when talked to by their elders they might have more respect
    towards everyone.
    its give and take at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

well it all lies in education doesnt it?
    If certain children where not brought up in the "celtic tiger" it might have been good for em
    Many kids are spoilt nowadays and expect everything hand and foot.Not saying all now but there is alot of fun to be had by just hanging at friends houses imo.
    Also these kids that are actually hanging round the town are automatically thought of as a threat and are dealt with wrongly. If Some of em are treated with more respcet when talked to by their elders they might have more respect
    towards everyone.
    its give and take at the end of the day

Very true, many a night spent at a mates house playing games, gossiping staying up late munching on popcorn and just hanging out was so much fun. Plus we were warm and cosy wrapped in blankets while doing so. I don't get the attraction to hanging around on freezing cold streets drinking and smoking. Most kids I see aren't even having fun they're just hanging out because everyone else is.
    I think it's also down to parents, some parents these days just don't have the guts to stand up to their teens and say that they're not allowed hang out in town at 1am. We'll see a massive change in attitude if things start to get dangerous on our streets. Thankfully Killarney is still a relatively safe place. If parents compromise by letting their kids have mates stay over then it could even be a win/win situation, one weekend they look after a few kids, next weekend their kids are gone to someone elses house and they can do what they want for the night. Caring about your kids doesn't mean you have to let them do whatever they want.
    I agree there has to be give and take in all things too. I just ignore kids on streets, unless they're directly related to me then I have no reason to even speak to them. I still think they shouldn't be there though. If we were anywhere other than Killarney there could be serious reprecussions for the younger girls especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Don't have anything to do????

There are a couple of thousands of acres of National Park- I LOVED growing up in Killarney.

there were a load of gangs of teenagers in town again this evening, about 9.30
    wonder will there be more trouble

dmeehan wrote: »
    there were a load of gangs of teenagers in town again this evening, about 9.30
    wonder will there be more trouble

I heard nothing anyways but in saying that Killarney is becoming more of a 'closed' town in that unless you were there and saw it yourself, you won't find too many people talking about incidents anymore.

• Advertisement

Don't have anything to do????

There are a couple of thousands of acres of National Park- I LOVED growing up in Killarney.

The problem with the National Park woodlands is that it's very often used at night for boozing etc by various people with the evidence clearly obvious the following morning (and the installation of closed circuit cameras in there proof that certain powers that be know about the boozing etc) ... and then it's not fully utilised to it's potential at all then during the day.

Advertisement