Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entry Gaming Laptop HP £649; 6 core Ryzen + GTX 1650

Options
2»

Comments

definitely confirmed upgradeable up to 16gb?

or even 32gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just to note for anyone doing an upgrade. I had some fun getting the back off over all address were out. Best to look to pop the lid up near the connection to the display. Also your hard disk and ram are under a firmly stuck sticker. It comes up but it's irritating.

Just cloning the hard disk onto a 1tb nvme drive I had spare using macrium reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

is the one verison for 799 pound and 512 gb ram the same laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Already at Parcel Motel Dublin Depot. Should have it Monday.

Did it fit in the locker alright? I know the dimensions of the laptop itself would fit in easily but never sure how bulky the packaging is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Standman wrote: »
    Did it fit in the locker alright? I know the dimensions of the laptop itself would fit in easily but never sure how bulky the packaging is.
    Haven’t received it just yet. Will let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Anyone recommend a computer for gaming the likes of fifa cod. Far cry stuff like that that would be better graphics than a ps4 pro.
    Cheers
    Looking under 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

Yes, it fits in quite easily. The package is only a few inches high, so it fits in a minimum height locker. Mine was in a G10 amazon box, 550 x 350 x 50/100 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

steven087 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a computer for gaming the likes of fifa cod. Far cry stuff like that that would be better graphics than a ps4 pro.
    Cheers
    Looking under 1k

eh, this one?

Using it right now. It arrived really fast through Parcel Motel too (hit NI on Saturday evening).

Very nice piece of kit. May buy Death Stranding to put it through the paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Using it right now. It arrived really fast through Parcel Motel too (hit NI on Saturday evening).

Very nice piece of kit. May buy Death Stranding to put it through the paces.

Throw up a few pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Packaging on the one I recieved was not bulky as the laptop box itself is relatively slim. Amazon box was tight on it.

Wouldn't think you'd have any issue.

mad m wrote: »
    Throw up a few pictures

No issue with PM locker. Pics included (apologies for mess, reconfigurations if workspace ongoing?)

Gonna get this as well. Would like to upgrade the SSD as the 256gb one it has will be full in no time. Any recommendations for a good 1tb m.2 SSD for €100 or less?

Gonna get this as well. Would like to upgrade the SSD as the 256gb one it has will be full in no time. Any recommendations for a good 1tb m.2 SSD for €100 or less?

The only place you'll find ANY 1tb m.2 SSD for that price (let alone a good one) is the likes of AliExpress. Your best bet is to get something like this one.

Thanks, I was literally just looking at the very same one :pac:. Looks good, not too far over budget.
    Edit: Oooff just noticed "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.", guess I'll be waiting a while.

Thanks, I was literally just looking at the very same one :pac:. Looks good, not too far over budget.
    Edit: Oooff just noticed "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.", guess I'll be waiting a while.

This is also an option, or you can just buy the one above direct from Crucial. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

What's the weight of it feel like?

Btw, thanks for pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

Would cyber punk work on it?

what would be the usual battery life if playing games on this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

what would be the usual battery life if playing games on this?

Most laptops are rubbish for gaming on battery. On full whack, about an hour I would imagine. You could run older games for longer. But longer batterylife always a weakness in gaming laptops, only the higher tier laptops would be better and even at that, are not ideal.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    So I was hoping that my Dell WD15 docking station would be compatible with this new laptop (as stated on a few websites that I checked before buying). Unfortunately, while the mouse and keyboard works, the screen won't activate the monitor and the dock wont charge the laptop.

Are there any docking solutions I can use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Hi all,
    So I was hoping that my Dell WD15 docking station would be compatible with this new laptop (as stated on a few websites that I checked before buying). Unfortunately, while the mouse and keyboard works, the screen won't activate the monitor and the dock wont charge the laptop.

Are there any docking solutions I can use?

Did you update the firmware on your docking station?

maherhonda wrote: »
    Did you update the firmware on your docking station?

no, will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

USB-C 2.5 enclosure with USB 3.1 Thunderbolt on Hot UK deals at the moment, would be ideal if anyone has a spare 2.5 drive to increase the storage.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ugreen-usb-c-hdd-enclosure-25-899-prime-1348-non-prime-using-code-sold-by-ugreen-group-limited-uk-and-fulfilled-by-amazon-3510494

Got this, pretty happy with it so far. Tested it out with a bit of GTA 5, ran without a hitch with graphics looking about on par with what I'd get on the PS4. Thought there were 3 USB-A ports but there are only 2 which is a slight drawback but no big deal.

Pics:

IMG-20200807-182645.jpg

IMG-20200806-181424-2.jpg

Opened it up to replace the m.2 SSD and got a fright when I saw that HP box at the top-right - thought they'd lied and given me a sata SSD or mechanical hard drive. Turns out the m.2 us under some black tape near the bottom. The box thingy must be the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

The boxy thing is a hard drive caddy for an SSD or normal HDD as additional storage. The Graphics card is under one of those two fans.

The GTX1650 would run GTA5 a lot better than the PS4. 1080P ultra @ 50-60fps would be fine. The PS4 runs at 1080P 25-30fps at about highish equivalent settings.

Ah nice one, makes sense alright. I have a spare HDD I can throw in there.

Advertisement