Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

stuchyg wrote: »
    Is buried at sea not the milk choc stout and Left Hand is a regular joe milk stout

Yep. Left Hand Milk Stout has chocolate malt in it, but it's not classed as a chocolate stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Joeseph Holt Sixex a lovely dark ale and lots of smokey flavors pouring from this.
    Actually was slightly sweet when initially tasting then finished off in a dry coffee taste.

Never seen this when I was in Ireland and strange that it turns up in a "traditional" fish and chip shop here in Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Joeseph Holt Sixex a lovely dark ale and lots of smokey flavors pouring from this.
    Actually was slightly sweet when initially tasting then finished off in a dry coffee taste.

Never seen this when I was in Ireland and strange that it turns up in a "traditional" fish and chip shop here in Prague.

Has shown up here before. I could take it or leave it. Not interesting but also not a bad beer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Had a few pints of Pilsner Urquell earlier in the week. Still can't get over how much better/fresher it is on draught than in bottles.

The parts for my spunding valve have arrived, along with 400g of Saaz, acid malt and Irish lager malt, so next stop I'm gonna try brew my own.

It's down to the bottle being green. Can't drink it from a bottle.
    PU uses a triple decoction mash. I'm not sure if it truly impacts on the finished product though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Because Rogue are about 99% style and .5% substance.

Their "hit" rate is, in my opinion, pure luck.

I'm actually not sure they do a proper nice beer. None of their beers that I've tried have been delicious, and more than one just haven't been nice at all.
    I've had their hazelnut nectar on tap a few times over in the States. That was a seriously good beer, but I've never seen it here unfortunately.

edit:it just occurred to me now to check Drinkstore and of course they have it, I'll have to grab some at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've had their hazelnut nectar on tap a few times over in the States. That was a seriously good beer, but I've never seen it here unfortunately.

edit:it just occurred to me now to check Drinkstore and of course they have it, I'll have to grab some at the weekend.

It made an appearance on draft in WJ Kavanaghs also last year along with some other draft Rogue. Don't think they currently have any Rogue on draft but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm sure I saw, and ignored, a Rogue tap in there last Saturday.

Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

slayerking wrote: »
    It made an appearance on draft in WJ Kavanaghs also last year along with some other draft Rogue. Don't think they currently have any Rogue on draft but I could be wrong.

Still there. I tried the Oatmeal Stout over Christmas too - quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just had a brew dog dead pony club. Really tasty and only 3.8%

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm looking forward to trying Dead Pony Club.

There are a growing number of "session" IPA's in the US at the minute, like Lagunitas "DayTime" which a friend of mine swears is one of his favourite beers and weighs in at a very consumable 4.6%, which, considering it's an American style IPA, is very sessionable. So it's nice to see an European alternative.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Still there. I tried the Oatmeal Stout over Christmas too - quite expensive.

Yes, at €6 a pop, not worth it.

Yes, at €6 a pop, not worth it.

Expensive however it is 6.10% and imported a long way. All reasonably strong imported beers are about the €6 mark. Look at brewdog beers and they only come from Scotland, not the west coast of America.

Rogue make some great beers and I can tell you one thing. Considering how far the beer has come, it is usually as expensive if not more so if you get it on the west coast! You can easily pay $6 or $7 for an American pint (much smaller than ours) and don't forget to add $1 per drink tip on top of that. Depends where you are no doubt but certainly those are San Francisco prices. Portland, Oregon might be cheaper.

Saruman wrote: »
    Expensive however it is 6.10% and imported a long way. All reasonably strong imported beers are about the €6 mark. Look at brewdog beers and they only come from Scotland, not the west coast of America.

Rogue make some great beers and I can tell you one thing. Considering how far the beer has come, it is usually as expensive if not more so if you get it on the west coast! You can easily pay $6 or $7 for an American pint (much smaller than ours) and don't forget to add $1 per drink tip on top of that. Depends where you are no doubt but certainly those are San Francisco prices. Portland, Oregon might be cheaper.

That's as may be - but my € doesn't stretch to six quid pints, no matter where the beer comes from, and no matter the badge on the tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

That's as may be - but my € doesn't stretch to six quid pints, no matter where the beer comes from, and no matter the badge on the tap.

Would you pay 6 quid for a pint of westvleteren 12 if it was on tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Strange statement considering the difference in abv, it's not comparing like for like. €5 for for a pint of 4.3% would cost you €20 for 4 pints. Whereas, if you were drinking a 6.1% beer you would only need to drink 3 pints in comparison, which would only cost you €18

I don't really get the dislike for Rogue beers on here. I think most of the beers I've tried from them have been top notch. I tried quite a lot of them over the last while. Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager, Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale and XS Imperial 'I2PA' are

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar was one that I loved from the keg but not so much from the bottle, and the Juniper Pale Ale wasn't great.

Saruman wrote: »
    It's down to the bottle being green. Can't drink it from a bottle.
    Dunno. Two of my other favourite lagers are also in green bottles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Strange statement considering the difference in abv, it's not comparing like for like. €5 for for a pint of 4.3% would cost you €20 for 4 pints. Whereas, if you were drinking a 6.1% beer you would only need to drink 3 pints in comparison, which would only cost you €18

I don't really get the dislike for Rogue beers on here. I think most of the beers I've tried from them have been top notch. I tried quite a lot of them over the last while. Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager, Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale and XS Imperial 'I2PA' are

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar was one that I loved from the keg but not so much from the bottle, and the Juniper Pale Ale wasn't great.

Just out of interest why would you compare them on ABV?

Also does a higher ABV cost more to produce?

Cheers for any info.

They have Carraig Dubh back on Cask in the Black Sheep Dublin if anyone is looking to try it.

I like it a lot.

Went to the Sabotage IPA launch in Against the Grain last week. Really enjoyed the night. Must make it over for some meet the brewer nights to. Nice space upstairs.

symbolic wrote: »
    Also does a higher ABV cost more to produce?
    More malt is required for a higher ABV. A 6.8% beer requires about 55% more malt than a 4.3% beer.

In addition excise duty is paid per ABV percentage point. More alcohol equals more excise duty.

• Advertisement

Tube wrote: »
    More malt is required for a higher ABV. A 6.8% beer requires about 55% more malt than a 4.3% beer.

In addition excise duty is paid per ABV percentage point. More alcohol equals more excise duty.

Cheers for that.

Scortho wrote: »
    No, I don't like it, so would be unlikely to buy a pint of it no matter the price.
    BaZmO* wrote: »

I get the maths, and it makes sense the way you put it there, but that's not the way I buy pints in a pub - by costing out the units of the alcohol, do you?

I buy pints in the pub. If a beer is 6.1%, I'll drink less of it, but if I dislike the taste of it, and it costs me more that a pint of something which is 4.8%, but tastes a hell of a lot nicer, then my money is going on the nice beer.

I just don't happen to think the Rogue beers on sale in WJK are worth €6 euro, and I wouldn't think it if they were 3%, 6% or 9%.

I'm willing to pay more for stronger beer, of course, but only of the taste is also superior - which in the case of the Rogue Beers I've tasted, they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No, I don't like it, so would be unlikely to buy a pint of it no matter the price.

I get the maths, and it makes sense the way you put it there, but that's not the way I buy pints in a pub - by costing out the units of the alcohol, do you?

I buy pints in the pub. If a beer is 6.1%, I'll drink less of it, but if I dislike the taste of it, and it costs me more that a pint of something which is 4.8%, but tastes a hell of a lot nicer, then my money is going on the nice beer.

I just don't happen to think the Rogue beers on sale in WJK are worth €6 euro, and I wouldn't think it if they were 3%, 6% or 9%.

I'm willing to pay more for stronger beer, of course, but only of the taste is also superior - which in the case of the Rogue Beers I've tasted, they weren't.
    That's fair enough, and your choice of beer (or anything for that matter) should always be based on your own tastes, but you didn't make that clear in your original post.

It seemed like you were just saying that you would never pay €6 for any pint ever.

All cleared up now.....move along........nothing to see here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I was in Florence last week drinking pints of Rogue Chocolate Stout for €5, that's good value!! I assume its excise duty driving the price up here, right?!

On a side not, all craft on tap from different corners of the globe was 5 euro (Meantime, Rogue, Mikkeller, Italian etc), with their 2 own beers at 4 euro. I kinda wish some more Irish pubs would do something like this... i.e. one price for all draft beer making more/less profit on different beers but averaging roughly the same profit overall.
    Would make it so much easier for the punter buying the pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Scortho wrote: »

This is the kind of thing I dream about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was in the Salt House earlier for a quiet beer and they had Burried at Sea on tap at last.

It's a lot different than the Cask version Chris (the brewer) did around christmas, a lot sweeter and less ful bodied but still lovely, a cracking beer, also tried the latest batch of Full Sail, first keg tapped in the Salt House yesterday, jesus it's lovely. The best Irish pale/IPA I've had anyway, if he keeps that recipe he's on to a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just had a Brew Dog Dogma for the 1st time. A heavy drink but definitely enjoyable, onto a Brooklyn Brown Ale now and it's going down beautifully.

Next up Brewdog Hardcore IPA. Wouldn't usually be an ale man but had some lovely cask ale on a trip to Glasgow recently and I'm trying to find something to replicate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, it was called Pundie. The tagline said 'Scots for guid strong ale' but it wasn't too heavy, about 5.1% I think, and it had more of a reddish tinge in colour, not as dark as the two I've sampled so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Tried the Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal. Wasn't hugely impressed and I was really looking forward to it.

I'd put it behind Dark Arts, Leann Folláin and their standard stout.

Has anyone else tried it? Any opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Red hook IPA.
    To Øl raid beer.
    Left Hand Brewing black jack porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried a whole ton of new beers last night, lots of Americans and Belgians.

Bigfoot ale is very strange.

Duvel-****ing DELICIOUS. Does not taste like an 8.5% beer at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement