Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaslighting

• 26-10-2020 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had this done to them?

Just horrible behaviour thrown at you and when you point out how hurtful and nasty their behaviour is they make up excuses that don't make sense and no genuine apology. Or an apology but no change in the behaviour. Then if you react badly at all, they blame your reaction and turn it around on you.

What is wrong with these people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Are you sure you're not imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

They probably have mental health issues or a personality disorder and cannot control this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Ignore them, they're away with the fairies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are you sure you're not imagining it?

Such a gaslighting question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Then if you react badly at all, they blame your reaction and turn it around on you.

You need to calm down. Total overreaction, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Absolutely. More than once. Best reaction is to call them out on it directly. You just sit back and ask, "tell me, do you gaslight people often, or am I the first?". Of course, they'll deny it, at which point you say, "the fact that you don;t recognise it indictaes it's the former".

Done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That oul gaslighting went out when the electric came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

In fairness, I had to look up what "gaslighting" meant... I thought it was when people ignite their own farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The routes of it are probably poor self-esteem and jealously along with no insight into themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

mariaalice wrote: »
    The routes of it are probably poor self-esteem and jealously along with no insight into themselves.

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Absolutely. More than once. Best reaction is to call them out on it directly. You just sit back and ask, "tell me, do you gaslight people often, or am I the first?". Of course, they'll deny it, at which point you say, "the fact that you don;t recognise it indictaes it's the former".

Done.

Or the fact they don't recognise it could mean you're gaslighting them?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Or the fact they don't recognise it could mean you're gaslighting them?

Wouldn't rule it out :) - the trick is to get them on the defensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Toxic people are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

How did they come up with this term gaslighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

From a play and the movie adaptation of it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Light

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes ....but it backfired on them BIG TIME.

Don't worry about it op ...karma sorts those people out. Just move to a happier climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Username is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Milhouse: Remember when he ate my goldfish, then you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?!

An exemplary example of gaslighting.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Username is apt.
    Then she is happier than most. :p

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    Milhouse: Remember when he ate my goldfish, then you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?!

Look goldfish are easy to kill.

Kids don't stand a chance.

There is a gaslight at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

From a play and the movie adaptation of it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Light

The original British movie from 1940 is on u tube. Well worth a look for any fan of old black and white cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Named after a film with the same name, which contains the actions of what gaslighting is all about. An old movie too if im not mistaken

Well if that is what you think, I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It's from a hichcock film. The husband tries to make the wife think she is insane. He starts by turning on and off lights and trying to convince her that she has done it.

The lights were gas, hence the phrase. Its the first time psychological abuse was publicly addressed as a form of domestic abuse

It's from a hichcock film. The husband tries to make the wife think she is insane. He starts by turning on and off lights and trying to convince her that she has done it.

The lights were gas, hence the phrase. Its the first time psychological abuse was publicly addressed as a form of domestic abuse

Hitchcock didn't direct 'Gaslight'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

It just makes me think of a person lighting the gas lanterns in the 1800's.That you see in the old films. I was just curious how that meant something more modern and political.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

my father was very adept at " gaslighting "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

COVID wrote: »
    Hitchcock didn't direct 'Gaslight'.

My apologies, I was convinced it was Hichcock

• Advertisement

My apologies, I was convinced it was Hichcock

No probs, it was a 'psychological thriller', so his type of film.

Advertisement