Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon: Manipulated 5-star reviews

• 15-10-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Several times over the last few months I’ve received items from Amazon that contain in the packaging a bribe for a favourable review. Typically, a third-party supplier’s note offers a £10 Amazon voucher or another free product from the supplier if the buyer emails back evidence of a 5-star product review on the Amazon website.

I recently purchased a wall stud finder and received a similar note in the packaging. Despite having lots of positive reviews, the item was completely useless. I sent the product back (and received a full refund without any problems). I let Amazon know via Chat about the supplier’s note - I’ve done this a couple of times but they’ve never taken any action. This time I also wrote a review of the product and pointed out in my review that the supplier had included an inducement for a 5-star review. In the review I posted a photo of the supplier’s note. I received a response from Amazon saying that my review couldn’t be published as it was in breach of their guidelines for reviews. I submitted the review again, this time carefully wording everything to ensure that nothing I said could be misconstrued as being in breach of their guidelines, but again they refused to publish it.

It’s clear that Amazon are blocking any reviews that point out that sellers are manipulating their ratings. They also appear to do nothing when such issues are reported, even though they say their sellers are not allowed to offer such inducements. The products I reported are still there and still have mostly 5-star reviews. Amazon customer ratings are no longer a reliable measure of the product quality. There’s so much garbage on the site now, much of it with excellent reviews. It's disappointing that Amazon are burying their heads in the sand about this.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't know if this makes any difference to those type of reviews, analyze the product feedback by pasting the product URL into this site...
    https://www.fakespot.com/

...to see how it compares with the amazon feedback rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

That's happened to me 2 or 3 times recently. The products were good but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Don't know if this makes any difference to those type of reviews, analyze the product feedback by pasting the product URL into this site...

I don't find that site to be much use. I've often bought items where it thinks the reviews are fake and they're clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Ten Pin wrote: »

I find fakespot doesn't tend to pick up this kind of thing. The 5 star reviews are from genuine buyers. It's their motivation for writing them that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You can make any review you like make a standard review of decent length and just say the usual good or bad stuff about the product. Submit the review then wait for it to be reviewed and posted. Then you can edit it and normally the edits appear straight away. I regularly go back and edit my reviews and add comments that become relevant after using an item for a while.

There may be a word filter that gets an edited review removed and checked again but you'd just have to keep trying different words to see what gets through.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Got a tenner for reviewing a 20 quid item...i find it strange too !

• Advertisement

Got a tenner for reviewing a 20 quid item...i find it strange too !

It's not strange at all - people tend to go for the highest amazon rated items with high sales numbers - looking for > 4.5 / 5 etc

If you get a high rating with a good number of reviews then sales numbers can really explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's why I always have a look at the 1 and 2 star reviews too. Just ignore the ones giving out about delivery times or where someone has ordered something incompatible.

Also worth looking at a few 3 and 4 star reviews too as these companies tend to only look for 5 stars.

Advertisement