I'm looking into buying a house that was built in the 70s that needs a few large jobs done to it. I had a viewing yesterday and brought a family friend along who has been a builder for 20+ years and he noticed some of the following that needs to be done:
- BER is G rated. House will need whole new heating system, insulation, boiler and windows
- Rewiring, most likely of whole house
- Woodworm visible on outside of garage roof, unsure if it extends to inside of house (will need surveyor to check this out)
- Whole house needs to be plastered
- Cosmetically house is quite old and will need to be updated with carpets taken out etc
From visual inspection he thinks the house roof and build seems very sturdy with no evidence of damp or leaks. The plumbing will need to be checked by surveyor but presumably needs to be done.
The perks of this particular house are that it's in a great location and has great potential for extending in the future.
Just wondering if anyone has had experience of fixer uppers and what your thoughts are?