Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny women?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Debatable. Plastic Paddy at it's finest

Aisling Bea? Plastic Paddy?

Wat

I've seen so many posters on boards lambasting the likes of Jason Byrne, Tommy Tiernan etc. but I have yet to see a single one say... "Jason Byrne isn't funny, Tommy Tiernan isn't funny, men just aren't funny."

There's what? 3.5 billion women in the world and we're to believe not a one of them is funny because SOME female comedians aren't to your taste?

Grand so.. I don't find several male comedians funny .. so I conclude men just aren't funny.

Not directed at the OP but all the half wits that think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Alison Spittle is doing great things at the moment. Up there with some of the great comedians of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I've seen so many posters on boards lambasting the likes of Jason Byrne, Tommy Tiernan etc. but I have yet to see a single one say... "Jason Byrne isn't funny, Tommy Tiernan isn't funny, men just aren't funny."

There's what? 3.5 billion women in the world and we're to believe not a one of them is funny because SOME female comedians aren't to your taste?

Grand so.. I don't find several male comedians funny .. so I conclude men just aren't funny.

I have seen a lot of stand up over the years, out of all the male comedians I have seen, I probably liked 20% of them and find them funny.

out of all the women comedians I have seen, I found 0% of them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of stand up over the years, out of all the male comedians I have seen, I probably liked 20% of them and find them funny.

List some comedians you find funny, someone here might be able to recommend a female comic of a similar style

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Alison Spittle is doing great things at the moment. Up there with some of the great comedians of our time.

She's retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

wassie wrote: »
    Nina Conti - hugely talented comedian, musician, actress and ventriloquist

I agree. I have seen her a couple of times and she is fantastic. She is about the only comedian I would pay to go see at this stage.

List some comedians you find funny, someone here might be able to recommend a female comic of a similar style

Ricky Gervais

Frankie Boyle

Jim Jeffries

Bill Burr

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yep.
    It descended into the usual ….
    Slán ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

Do you have a point?

Its pretty obvious isn't it.

And I have nothing against women or anything, there are lots of female singers and DJs for example that I think are great and listen to but I have yet to come across a female comedian that I have laughed at even 1 joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ricky Gervais

Frankie Boyle

Jim Jeffries

Bill Burr
    try fern brady or ali wong

try fern brady or ali wong

will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

great women comedians out there but
    Maeve Higgins , christ she's like a fart in the space suit of comedy
    and for balance i saw simon amstell on the same bill and he was just as bad.

Its pretty obvious isn't it.

And I have nothing against women or anything, there are lots of female singers and DJs for example that I think are great and listen to but I have yet to come across a female comedian that I have laughed at even 1 joke.

Well you're either saying no women are funny or you're saying you've yet to find one that caters to your particular sense of humour.

As you have since taken someone's suggestion of a female comedian to check out I'll assume it's the latter and I have no issue with that. As I said my post was directed at the half wits who think there's no funny women out there based on their own limited experience or based on their own sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

While that, really, remains to be seen, I have to say, her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’ on RTÉ was pretty good, P.

I, personally, think she gets harshly criticised by the “usual suspects” on here, along with other, female, comedians.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Debatable. Plastic Paddy at it's finest

i abhor that term. Pretty sure you're not using it correctly either. Would you like to explain what you think it means? And how it applies to Aisling Bea?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Wibbs wrote: »
    Speaking of unfunny comedians... Has his moments as a writer and commentator alright, but Jesus his standup is painful. Like some surreal channelling of an art project for leftie aspie types.

I have no time for his lefty agenda(although I always considered myself left wing until the modern version of left wing emerged) but I like his stand up.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

J Mysterio wrote: »
    i abhor that term. Pretty sure you're not using it correctly either. Would you like to explain what you think it means? And how it applies to Aisling Bea?

I'm dumbfounded on this one too, she's from fuckin kildare like.

Probably just another genius using another overused buzzword that they don't understand, often served with a selection of other delicacies such as: PC, snowflake, leftie, savage over use of the word brigade etc.

Treppen wrote: »
    That doesn't make her funny though.

She's so funny in this interview - John Malkovich has to wipe his eyes at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

but the funniest of the lot was Caroline Aherne, who sadly died too young.
    +1000 Aherne was imho an actual genius. Very insightful writer and performer and subtle with it, even in her obvious stuff there was a subtlety to things.
    nullzero wrote: »
    I have no time for his lefty agenda(although I always considered myself left wing until the modern version of left wing emerged) but I like his stand up.
    I can kinda take it as an extended rap or art project, but find him about as funny as catching my bell end in a door. Actually that might be funny for someone else, though begs many questions as to circumstances...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can kinda take it as an extended rap or art project, but find him about as funny as catching my bell end in a door. Actually that might be funny for someone else, though begs many questions as to circumstances...

I suppose comedy like anything is subjective. Some things aren't for everybody.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Well, aren't you just a barrel of laughs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

She's so funny in this interview - John Malkovich has to wipe his eyes at one point.

Ah that's very good. the name didn't ring a bell but i recognise her, funny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She's so funny in this interview
    Yeah I think she's very funny and very good at observational stuff. Bloody clever with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Well, aren't you just a barrel of laughs.

Don't worry, I don't do stand up! ;)

I'm not remotely funny. I am generally a nice and light-hearted person though. I try to be decent to people and I avoid labelling an entire group (or indeed half the world's population) based on my limited experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Another piece Aisling appears in I happened to watch recently. I think she's very good. She can really hold her own, whether it's on stage, a talk show or whatever..

A lot of poor comedians (male or female) seem to work hard at their 'thing'. Stick them on a talk show or whatever and they don't know what to do.

Well you're either saying no women are funny or you're saying you've yet to find one that caters to your particular sense of humour.

As you have since taken someone's suggestion of a female comedian to check out I'll assume it's the latter and I have no issue with that. As I said my post was directed at the half wits who think there's no funny women out there based on their own limited experience or based on their own sense of humour.

I have yet to find one that caters to my particular sense of humour. Hopefully I will find one that does that in the next 40 years.

I checked them two female comedians out,hadn't really heard of them before, Id say fern Brady would be a laugh to hang out with, you would have a laugh with her but I wouldn't go see her do stand up. Ali Wong, I didn't find funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

When men find a male comedian unfunny, they tend to say “that comedian was crap”.

When men find a female comedian unfunny, they tend to say “female comedians are crap”.

Women are held to a different standard when it comes to topics. We talk about our periods and it’s like “ewww no one needs to hear that”, but I’ve heard multiple comics talk about their first ejaculation.

Many male comics have tons of bawdy material from experiences with threesomes to anal sex to being with prostitutes and that’s all regarded as normal, but female comics talking “too much” about sex is considered crass and being provocative for cheap laughs.

It’s possible many men don’t find women funny because they simply don’t relate to their life experiences.

I don’t like the comedians my dad likes because they strike me as a lot of men on the wrong side of middle age giving out that things aren’t how they used to be with not enough punchlines. But maybe my dad’s view of the world is more similar to theirs so he finds them funny.

I saw Deirdre O’Kane testing material at a small gig just before lockdown. It was a Monday night in a pub, the crowd was mostly young and childless. Her material was about being a woman in her 50s, being a mother, and it didn’t get a lot of laughs. I thought the material was quite good, she was just playing to a young audience that didn’t share her life experiences and as such didn’t get it. I found myself thinking “my mam would really enjoy this”.

Just because you don’t relate to something and don’t personally enjoy it doesn’t mean it’s not funny.

Funny female comedians: Katherine Ryan (watch her stand up on the musical Hamilton, or the differences between being a single mum and dad), Jen Kirkman, Chelsea Peretti (her bit of her last special on periods is brilliant), here in Ireland I think Emma Doran is very good on the club scene.

The woman who created/writes Derry Girls is obviously funny as fück and very talented.

I’m sure there’s more, I’ll have a think.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of comedians of both genders that don't even rate a smile from me, but others love them. Taste is wide, subjective and subject to all kinds of bias and influence. Amy Schumer sells out massive venues, and I haven't a clue why. Ditto Kevin Hart, Russell Howard, and a multitude of male comedians. Doesn't mean I think men can't be funny, which is a weirdly wide statement.

Advertisement