Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just hope there is other intelligent life out there. I've just about had it with humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The advent of super high quality cameras in mobile phones around the world and lack of any remotely realistic sighting in the last 5 years says to me no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The advent of super high quality cameras in mobile phones around the world and lack of any remotely realistic sighting in the last 5 years says to me no.
    Apart from the USAF official (zoomed in and tracking) video that came out recently of course, that tried to track high speed craft that appeared to defy the laws of physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

did you ever try to take a picture of a plane flying overhead and check the quality on it?

what about the recent sighting off the west coast of ireland by 3 or 4 airline pilots? still hasnt been explained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Yep, 20th July1969, Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin.

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

did nobody ever tell you that that's not the full quote , it's actually
    ''one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind , go for it mr gorsky'' is what he said .
    when he returned to earth he was asked what he meant by ''go for it mr gorsky'' . He explained , when i was a boy i spent weekends in my back yard playing with all my toy rockets . One afternoon a rocket landed in my neighbours yard so i climbed over the fence to get it . While standing there looking for the rocket i heard the lady in the house shouting at her husband '' sex , sex in the afternoon we'll have sex in the afternoon when that young fella next door walks on the moon''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saabsaab wrote: »
    ddpjx4g-b47b8e35-3b20-4b5e-974d-b8bd9905cf9d.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvOWI3MThmNGUtZmFhZi00Y2ZhLWFiODQtYzFhN2YwOGIyODRlXC9kZHBqeDRnLWI0N2I4ZTM1LTNiMjAtNGI1ZS05NzRkLWI4YmQ5OTA1Y2Y5ZC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.D7xcMXKg7Kmf4iwz0mTqcn3v_xDLq1GAyXAHZQAURLg

Flying wing 1949. odd.
    very poor directional stability wallowed all over the sky. The 1953 movie of War of the Worlds has one in it.

Wasn't until the had computers that they could dispense with the tails

The B-21 is expected to fly in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I reckon they, the objects spotted & filmed by military personnel, are probably drones or probes, whatever the origin of the technology that is responsible for them, they are a very long way from their original point of origin. I don't think there is any alien lifeforms nearby controlling them as the distances are too vast for that.

They could have been travelling round our solar system for countless millions of years, in the meantime the originators of this technology, might no longer exist. Could they even be of inter dimensional origin? Ultimately they are designed to explore in a autonomous manner.

I don't believe that the pilot video footage would have been released if there was any serious indication that the advanced technology that they spring from, whatever it actually is, organic or robotic, is actually present in our solar system or nearby.

I'm really trying to come up with a logical answer for the military aviation pilots footage , but even after writing all this down for the first time, it does seem more than a bit crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is a fascinating topic I'm only discovering now. I would assume the majority of sightings are a load of bull, but if the USAF spots flying objects they can't identify then that is curious, they could be some Chinese or Russian invention also, a possibility which seems more down to Earth and the simplest explanation.

If they are in fact aliens from another world, well that just raises further questions:
    -Are they detectable by radar or any other means of long range detection? If they have the technology to avoid this type of detection (indicating they don't want to be seen by humans) why would they allow themselves to be photographed? One assumes they must be able to see planes coming if they are indeed as advanced as
    -If they are from another world, how come we don't spot them arriving from some distance, afterall we can observe distant stars so why not a space craft entering the atmosphere?
    -Perhaps they are based here a long time and didn't arrive an the recent past (before humans had the ability to detect them), if that's the case, why have they not been detected before visually or on radar, sat footage etc.
    -There are people who claim to have found objects/debris they believe to be from an alien spacecraft and cannot be identified by scientists, why isn't a bigger deal made of this? surely all manufactured materials created by people should be identifiable, even technology that is produced secretly.

We may never have these answers in our lifetime.

cgcsb wrote: »
    This is a fascinating topic I'm only discovering now. I would assume the majority of sightings are a load of bull, but if the USAF spots flying objects they can't identify then that is curious, they could be some Chinese or Russian invention also, a possibility which seems more down to Earth and the simplest explanation.

If they are in fact aliens from another world, well that just raises further questions:
    -Are they detectable by radar or any other means of long range detection? If they have the technology to avoid this type of detection (indicating they don't want to be seen by humans) why would they allow themselves to be photographed? One assumes they must be able to see planes coming if they are indeed as advanced as
    -If they are from another world, how come we don't spot them arriving from some distance, afterall we can observe distant stars so why not a space craft entering the atmosphere?
    -Perhaps they are based here a long time and didn't arrive an the recent past (before humans had the ability to detect them), if that's the case, why have they not been detected before visually or on radar, sat footage etc.
    -There are people who claim to have found objects/debris they believe to be from an alien spacecraft and cannot be identified by scientists, why isn't a bigger deal made of this? surely all manufactured materials created by people should be identifiable, even technology that is produced secretly.

We may never have these answers in our lifetime.

i doubt they travel like we do in straight lines getting from A to B, id say its more likely they bend time and space, punch a hole through and just arrive here.

you would think so but the powers that be, want this all covered up. imagine telling the world that Aliens existed, all hell would break loose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

saabsaab wrote: »
    ddpjx4g-b47b8e35-3b20-4b5e-974d-b8bd9905cf9d.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvOWI3MThmNGUtZmFhZi00Y2ZhLWFiODQtYzFhN2YwOGIyODRlXC9kZHBqeDRnLWI0N2I4ZTM1LTNiMjAtNGI1ZS05NzRkLWI4YmQ5OTA1Y2Y5ZC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.D7xcMXKg7Kmf4iwz0mTqcn3v_xDLq1GAyXAHZQAURLg

Flying wing 1949. odd.
    Which was directly influenced by German Horten flying wing of 1944.

03.HortenHo229_thumb.jpg?resize=620,330

Which unlike the YB 49 had good flying characteristics and didn't need vertical tail surfaces and no computers required.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    telling the world that Aliens existed, all hell would break loose

I don't think that's the case. Life would still go on, bookmakers would have to pay out a fair bit. The whole world was told to stay home, cover their faces and close businesses because of a virus and only small pockets of resistance were encountered. If it was public knowledge that there were aliens but you leave them alone, they leave you alone kind of set up, I don't think it would really make a difference. Some entrepreneurs might try sell them something, but that'd be the end of it.

I don't think that's the case. Life would still go on, bookmakers would have to pay out a fair bit. The whole world was told to stay home, cover their faces and close businesses because of a virus and only small pockets of resistance were encountered. If it was public knowledge that there were aliens but you leave them alone, they leave you alone kind of set up, I don't think it would really make a difference. Some entrepreneurs might try sell them something, but that'd be the end of it.

what about some world religions who only believe that god made man and that was it? their whole belief system is gone. people would also be more afraid there is no doubt about that. an alien race who could wipe us out in a second if they wanted to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

You have pro-aliens, and they're in the winning seat. If there is some, then great. If not, then they can keep saying "yeah anyday now".

bangkok wrote: »
    what about some world religions who only believe that god made man and that was it? their whole belief system is gone. people would also be more afraid there is no doubt about that. an alien race who could wipe us out in a second if they wanted to

Well those religions have accepted for a long time that their ideology is only widely accepted in certain geographic areas, to certain races of people. Many people have lived and died for thousands of years without being in contact with missionaries. Christian countries are mostly atheist/agnostic now and Islamic countries aren't all that fussed about missionary work.

We could be wiped out by any number of events at any time, this has always been the case. The Dinosaurs didn't even see it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Maybe the aliens wiped out the dinosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Thargor wrote: »
    2 bored airmen trying to lock on to a bird:

think I would prefer to listen to an actual Air Force commander who had his own encounter. Instead of a keyboard warrior who has probably never even seen a military jet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It’s what the UFO industry need to tell their marks, sorry meant to say customers.
    This whole recent flap in the news about the Pentagon investigating is down to political payback to a more money than sense UFO nut donor named Robert Bigelow where cronies of his were given a desk to investigate. There are a few people whose names seem to pop up over and over again and Tom DeLonge, former member of the band Blink 182, has got sucked in.
    Klass’s curse is just as relevant today as it was back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Aliens? Definitely. There are too many recorded incidents of credible sightings, to be discounted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I believe in Aliens before men getting periods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I once saw a flying saucer coming straight towards me,followed by a teacup.The ex was never good with her aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Crop circles.

10 or 20% man made, but who makes the rest?

Women, some children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The only conspiracy theory I believe is that oil companies are behind climate change denial.

As for the ufo issue I don't think all of the people who see them are lying. I think some people are not good at admitting when they don't know something, especially experts.

The truth is probably that nobody knows what some these things are.

Wouldn't they also be behind invading foreign countries to plunder their resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Do I believe in life on other planets? Yes. I believe there are many many worlds out there with intelligent life. And many worlds far far more advanced than we are.

However, do I believe in aliens visiting Earth? No. I did as a kid but no. Our current understanding of the physics simply puts faster than light as impossible.

That's not to say that tomorrow somebody could come out and say "oh wait, they forgot to carry a 1 here, yep.... Yep faster than light travel IS possible and REALLY easy!!!". I mean somebody could come out with a fundamental shift in our perception of the universe and physics but I'm not holding my breath.

I do believe that we will find conclusive proof of extraterrestrial life in the next 20 years or so. It may be as simple as 100% conclusive evidence that bacteria existed millions of years ago on Mars or it may be atmospheric analysis of extra-solar planets. But I don't believe that an alien spaceship is going to land on the Whitehouse lawn....

Do I believe in life on other planets? Yes. I believe there are many many worlds out there with intelligent life. And many worlds far far more advanced than we are.

However, do I believe in aliens visiting Earth? No. I did as a kid but no. Our current understanding of the physics simply puts faster than light as impossible.

That's not to say that tomorrow somebody could come out and say "oh wait, they forgot to carry a 1 here, yep.... Yep faster than light travel IS possible and REALLY easy!!!". I mean somebody could come out with a fundamental shift in our perception of the universe and physics but I'm not holding my breath.

I do believe that we will find conclusive proof of extraterrestrial life in the next 20 years or so. It may be as simple as 100% conclusive evidence that bacteria existed millions of years ago on Mars or it may be atmospheric analysis of extra-solar planets. But I don't believe that an alien spaceship is going to land on the Whitehouse lawn....

they prob dont travel the way we do, you are saying travelling at the speed of light, what if they can bend space and time and "pop" into each location they want to go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Do I believe in life on other planets? Yes. I believe there are many many worlds out there with intelligent life. And many worlds far far more advanced than we are..
    Just in the local neighbourhood: 10 billion planets (in our galaxy) that could hold liquid water — which could make them habitable to alien life.
    Then multiply that (10bn) by the number of actual other Galaxies (more bn's)
    However, do I believe in aliens visiting Earth? No. I did as a kid but no. Our current understanding of the physics simply puts faster than light as impossible..
    Our understanding (just 100yrs ago, or so) was that it was not possible to even become airborne or fly at a snail's pace.
    That's not to say that tomorrow somebody could come out and say "oh wait, they forgot to carry a 1 here, yep.... Yep faster than light travel IS possible and REALLY easy!!!". I mean somebody could come out with a fundamental shift in our perception of the universe and physics but I'm not holding my breath..
    Give it another 100yrs (a blink of an eye in universal terms).

A wild guess would be something relating to the quantum manipulation of time, gravity and other basic laws. Else dimension shifts: afterall we, are just vibrating atoms loosely held together.
    Thought they already found bits of bacteria in the solar system/comets. In regards to a touchdown, there would be little desire from little green men to do this anyway, likely aren't in any great rush.

Well that's the thing. 200 years ago flying machines to take people to distant continents in a few hours was thought both impossible and indeed laughable. Most people don't have good imaginations and can't allow themselves to imagine scenarios too far beyond what they know.
    I do believe that we will find conclusive proof of extraterrestrial life in the next 20 years or so. It may be as simple as 100% conclusive evidence that bacteria existed millions of years ago.

I do think that there must be at least microbes os some sort of plant in the sub surface seas on the moons of the gas giants and I've no doubt there was once microbes on mars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do think that there must be at least microbes os some sort of plant in the sub surface seas on the moons of the gas giants and I've no doubt there was once microbes on mars.
    Problem is we just don't know and at a fundamental level we can't at the moment as the only place in the universe where life started was here. With an example of one you can't really extrapolate much. Life could start easily, or it could be vanishingly rare, or somewhere in the middle.

Even here on Earth where apparently conditions were right and it did start it only happened the once. All life on this planet is related. There are no "aliens" here.

Then there's intelligent life. Life could be plentiful enough out there, but it could be almost all bacterial in nature. It was here for a very long time before anything complex showed up(which seems to have been triggered by a mass freezing of the planet, so without that...) and even today where it appears to be full of complex life the vast vast majority of it is simple single celled type stuff, fungi and plants. Animals moving around make up a tiny proportion of the biomass of Earth, humans even tinier. If the biomass were a city animals would make up a street of houses, humans one house.

Intelligent life is another thing again. While many particular adaptations to environments have occurred many times in different species(e.g. sharks, ichthyosaurs and dolphins and well, fish all look "fish" like), intelligence as an adaptation has only happened the once. And when it did in hominids it mostly trundled along for a few million years not doing much really. We come along and for some quirk are different, very different. Abstract thinkers who can imagine a past a future and things we can't see. Never mind we could have easily gone extinct. At one point there was a major reduction in the number of modern humans around and we can see that bottleneck in our DNA today. And never mind we could go extinct in the near enough future geologically and that's all she wrote.

There were also a series of mass extinctions that took place that if they didn't creatures like us might never have come along. Dinosaurs were around for hundreds of millions of years and yet no hint of anything intelligent coming along.

TL;DR? we can't know until we find evidence of life elsewhere. That life could be almost always simple life. Intelligence could be very rare and intelligence like ours could be rarer again. There might be only one intelligent life form per galaxy, or none.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

The bigger question is, do we want to intelligent aliens to know we're here?

Being likely more advanced than us, they might view us as beneath them and as little more than exotic meat, á la the Kelpians in Star Trek Discovery.

randd1 wrote: »

Being likely more advanced than us, they might view us as beneath them and as little more than exotic meat, á la the Kelpians in Star Trek Discovery.

or maybe they put us here and come every so often to observe

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »

Surely we'd be a curiosity to them, in the same way that extra terestrial bacteria would be to us. All sorts of observations and tests.

Advertisement