Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei Q2 Pro Mesh WiFi 3-pack - £139.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I installed a set over the weekend, and use the "power line capabilities" to link them and do not have the option to link via Ethernet.

I will note that all thre units have 3 Ethernet ports, one labeled WAN.

Obviously the "WAN" port on the main unit is for your boardband connection. I cannot think the secondard units would have a WAN port. I did have my BluRay player connected via the WAN port on a secondary unit, and it kept losing the network connection, moving it to a "LAN" port seems to have resolve the issue, so perhaps the "WAN" port on the secondary units is for Ethernet backhaul. but nothing in the extensive manuals to support this.

I'm still not following the "powerline" bit you refer to - these don't work on powerline, they are just plugged in and transmit a wifi signal. Unless the one's you have are different (or I am mistaken!)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I'm still not following the "powerline" bit you refer to - these don't work on powerline, they are just plugged in and transmit a wifi signal. Unless the one's you have are different (or I am mistaken!)

They're both, powerline and wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ahhh ok. The one's I have are just mesh per below. Didn't know (and bit confused tbh about the need for both in one device)
    I have installed these in myself/friends/relations houses and find them excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Coverage-Compatible-100Mbps-Configured/dp/B07H3CXJBH/

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tenda-nova-mw5-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-10190570-pdt.html

Don't go for MW3 if you see it on Amazon etc - it does not convert any more than 100mb internet and you want to maximise the potential for the wifi. The MW5 or MW5s both allow full speed in, so will give you the max wifi possible. The only difference between the MW5 and MW5s (1 in each link below and they are same price approx.) is that the MW5 in Currys has the 2 nodes for other rooms as "plug in" so they may appear neater than the S model where the 2 nodes are the same design as the main node. Personally, I like the currys one as they are neater for placement.

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2019/01/04/mw5-mesh-router-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Haven’t got a chance to setup mine yet, but you are supposed to be able to daisy chain by Ethernet - lan on main unit to wan on next unit

Have got them setup now, works perfectly daisy chaining by ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Thanks for the test! Which way do they connect, lan from 1 to wan in 2, then lan in 2 to wan in 3? Have just ordered them, can’t wait to sort out my network mess of the eir ftth router and ddwrt access point in the attic!

Kencollins wrote: »
    Thanks for the test! Which way do they connect, lan from 1 to wan in 2, then lan in 2 to wan in 3?

Exactly m8, that's what I did.

I would like to think, I'm reasonably savvy with this stuff and I bought the Google wifi units which were not cheap and supposed to be the bees knees. Also I do have some standard equipment yet a little "unusual" in domestic settings like programmable controllers etc. Anyway I spent umpteen hours trying to get google wifi to play ball, I spent hours on Google's chat line - double nat, bridge mode, vlan just about every networking terminology was spouted, blah blah you get the picture and no still utter failure.

Google wifi would not do, what my old Apple extreme routers did.

Anyway cut to the chase, I was about to order the expensive netgear orbi mesh when I saw this bargain alert.

I opened the box this evening, plugged them in and presto all working as I wanted. Very impressed and another set ordered.

Thanks Op

• Registered Users Posts: 41 saleem

Hi, I just ordered these, would this be good for geting coverage to back garden office from the house, I have virgin media broadband and currently using an extender but the signil cuts out and is very slow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

saleem wrote: »
    Hi, I just ordered these, would this be good for geting coverage to back garden office from the house, I have virgin media broadband and currently using an extender but the signil cuts out and is very slow at times.

In exactly the same boat here. Kids have a ps4 out in the garden office that just keeps dropping and their phones are out of range.

Looking for some guidance.Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Superfin wrote: »
    In exactly the same boat here. Kids have a ps4 out in the garden office that just keeps dropping and their phones are out of range.

Looking for some guidance.Thanks in advance

You really need to give us a bit more info, like how far away is the garden office. Where will the other router be placed etc etc.

eg if one router is behind a concrete wall and the other is the same a long way down the garden, then no it won't work.

Best case scenario is a Cat5 cable from the house to the garage with one of these at each end, but I presume that's not possible.

So you are effectively trying to create a cable between the house and the shed.

If the two routers have little obstructions between them, then yes the mesh part should work fine to "create" a link..

If this is not good, then the powerline feature will probably work.

If this doesn't work, then improvising like moving routers to their optimal position may help, eg both in windows facing each other.
    Maybe mount one in a waterproof box on an external wall in the house

Another option is create a virtual cable with Ubiquiti hardware stuff.

It's often a case of try it and see, I'm afraid.

You really need to give us a bit more info, like how far away is the garden office. Where will the other router be placed etc etc.

eg if one router is behind a concrete wall and the other is the same a long way down the garden, then no it won't work.

Best case scenario is a Cat5 cable from the house to the garage with one of these at each end, but I presume that's not possible.

So you are effectively trying to create a cable between the house and the shed.

If the two routers have little obstructions between them, then yes the mesh part should work fine to "create" a link..

If this is not good, then the powerline feature will probably work.

If this doesn't work, then improvising like moving routers to their optimal position may help, eg both in windows facing each other.
    Maybe mount one in a waterproof box on an external wall in the house

Another option is create a virtual cable with Ubiquiti hardware stuff.

It's often a case of try it and see, I'm afraid.

My router is upstairs in the frunt of the house, my garden office is not too far from the house, 3 M or max 4 M from the house. My thinking of this is to connect the router to node 1, put the second node at the back of the house upstairs and the third node downstairs at the back of the house or maybe in the office?

My router is upstairs in the frunt of the house, my garden office is not too far from the house, 3 M or max 4 M from the house. My thinking of this is to connect the router to node 1, put the second node at the back of the house upstairs and the third node downstairs at the back of the house or maybe in the office?

At that kinda distance, one would expect no issues.

I have gaden lights about 30 feet from the back of the house

There's a sonoff plug beside them
    Previously they were fed by a netgear cheapo extender

I now.switched them to the Huawei

I can tell you the netgear is a good bit stronger. The huawei just about reaches signal wise

Seem like really stable devices, but not very powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I got these Friday afternoon and setup was pretty painless. Coverage is excellent, the single SSID is great. I have foiled insulation between the house sections that usually kills wifi and these have covered everything.

I do have a few issues though.
    1) they seem to drop out a lot over powerline. By drop out, I mean lose sync and flash red. That never happened with a previous TP-link powerline kit I had, so I'm assuming it's not the wiring (8 years old)
    2) even over ethernet backbone it seems they're less reliable than my 6-7 year old Belkin and TP-link routers.
    3) my Google kit won't work with them. Tried hard resetting the Nest Hub and still no joy.
    4) I can't access the "advanced" settings on the web interface. Some bits not listed and some sections are greyed out.

Now it's entirely possible I made a fudge up during setup. I'm going to reset everything tomorrow and see how I get on.

Gulliver wrote: »
    I got these Friday afternoon and setup was pretty painless. Coverage is excellent, the single SSID is great. I have foiled insulation between the house sections that usually kills wifi and these have covered everything.

1) they seem to drop out a lot over powerline. By drop out, I mean lose sync and flash red. That never happened with a previous TP-link powerline kit I had, so I'm assuming it's not the wiring (8 years old)
    2) even over ethernet backbone it seems they're less reliable than my 6-7 year old Belkin and TP-link routers.
    3) my Google kit won't work with them. Tried hard resetting the Nest Hub and still no joy.
    4) I can't access the "advanced" settings on the web interface. Some bits not listed and some sections are greyed out.

Now it's entirely possible I made a fudge up during setup. I'm going to reset everything tomorrow and see how I get on.

Few comments

App told me to move one device on setup, since then fine. Again, the three routers need good WiFi signal

Google all worked fine. Cheapo cameras needed 5ghz temp disabled to register

Try the desktop link on 192.168.3.1

Thanks, looking forward to receiving them and setting it up

Few comments

App told me to move one device on setup, since then fine. Again, the three routers need good WiFi signal

Google all worked fine. Cheapo cameras needed 5ghz temp disabled to register

Try the desktop link on 192.168.3.1

Thanks. The desktop link is one that is missing the options. You should be able to access PLC settings in "More Functions" but that option is not there for me.

As for moving, I was hoping it would automatically switch across to powerline if it was on the border of WiFi range.

Ok, that was weird. I was using 192.168.3.1 and was not seeing the advanced options. Ran IPConfig and saw the gateway was 192.169.3.1. Logged into that IP with the same password and all advanced options are visible.

Factory reset the 2 satellites and the Google devices came back but I lost some of the Sonoff kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Specific question alert- Is there a way of setting these up so that the power line is able to work through a separate garage fusebox? Appreciate nobody might have checked this, but just in case.

• Advertisement

dos29 wrote: »
    Specific question alert- Is there a way of setting these up so that the power line is able to work through a separate garage fusebox? Appreciate nobody might have checked this, but just in case.

They will work no different to standard powerline adapters, have you tried any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

They will work no different to standard powerline adapters, have you tried any ?

I haven't to be honest, my main fear is not working through secondary fusebox. I was hoping, longshot as it might be, that someone might already have them set up like this, and could confirm that the power line works in that situation?

dos29 wrote: »
    I haven't to be honest, my main fear is not working through secondary fusebox. I was hoping, longshot as it might be, that someone might already have them set up like this, and could confirm that the power line works in that situation?

All I can tell you, in my opinion, power line adapters are to be avoided unless everything else is not an option. Anyone else's experience of these particular powerline units would be of little benefit either, it depends on the actual wiring and the quality of it in your house. When on the same circuit sometimes they work well, and obviously on different circuits/fuseboards speed start to degrade.

That said, I have. seen powerline adapters to be useless on what looked like a text book application and to be half decent when not expected to be.

In summary, I hate them but they might work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I can tell you the netgear is a good bit stronger. The huawei just about reaches signal wise

Seem like really stable devices, but not very powerful

In the App, the huawei has a power option for the Wifi, low, Average and Max,

In the App, the huawei has a power option for the Wifi, low, Average and Max,

Yep, have it on max. Netgear way stronger

Gulliver wrote: »

I have an issue with them now where the AI app doesn't recognise one node. But the gateway address website has all three listed and I know all three are working as the one missing has LAN connected devices

I think the AI app is just crap

How is everyone gettling along with this kit, after a few days. I am finding the PLC connections between the base stations very very slow. The previous netgear homeplugs were a lot faster and more stable.

WiFi is much improved, but need the link between nodes improved.

I have actually disabled the PLC option in the Huawei and am using two netgear homeplugs to connect two base stations together, and the link between them is must faster now. the BluRay player is back working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How is everyone gettling along with this kit, after a few days. I am finding the PLC connections between the base stations very very slow. The previous netgear homeplugs were a lot faster and more stable.

I have actually disabled the PLC option in the Huawei and am using two netgear homeplugs to connect two base stations together, and the link between them is must faster now. the BluRay player is back working.

how do you disconnect the PLC?

I'm very disappointed with them.

The app says that at any point, one or both of the satellites are unstable and to move them. It's not a big house.

All day today, I was getting great speeds and then speeds in the Kb.

Just checked again - the connection to the kitchen satellite is unstable, I'd say it's 20 feet from the router.

Disabled PLC, then reenabled it, no difference

Think they're ****e.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    how do you disconnect the PLC?

An option in the web admin "PLC Settings" under ""More Functions"

Advertisement