Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-08-2018, 13:00   #1
iwillhtfu

The What/When/Where to buy??

Hey lads appreciate any info ye may have.

So in the market for a cross over kayak. Primarily for camping/fishing/general paddling my main river will the Barrow Carlow town area.

I've always wanted a open canoe (most for fanciful imagery reasons ) but have come to the realisation that they're not the most practical both for storing or my intended use. I also considered a SOT but again the thoughts of paddling through the rain for hours to set up camp in the rain is a bit off putting (no I'm not made of sugar)

So settled on the cross over for the enclosed setup and multi use aspect.

To get back to my original question. I'm relatively new to all of this and being involved in several different outdoor activities I'm well used to there being typical go to stores for bargains and seasonal discounts etc.

I have been looking at I canoe and have looked at

Pyranha Fusion EXP

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Kayaks.21/..._EXP.3659.html

Also this

Dagger Axis 10.5e

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Kayaks.21/...lite.2009.html

I also want to upgrade my current PFD to something a bit more long use friendly and less rigid.

Appreciate this may have been covered several times so if something recent and relevant is up please link and apologies to mods.

Cheers
Advertisement
21-08-2018, 18:53   #2
iwillhtfu

Bit of an auld tumbleweed forum this one eh..

So another question is there a forum similar to say pinkbike only for kayak/canoeing etc?
21-08-2018, 19:39   #3
Tigerandahalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillhtfu View Post
Bit of an auld tumbleweed forum this one eh..

So another question is there a forum similar to say pinkbike only for kayak/canoeing etc?
I have only kayaked a few times.
One thing about the sit in, is that you would want to be able to extract yourself from it if it capsized. Otherwise you could drown easily.

A guy that took us out went through some of it and it is something you would want to be trained up on.

The sit ons are safer that way.

It is something I would love to get trained up on at some stage and do some of the rivers and canals with the option of fishing.
Thanks from:
21-08-2018, 20:08   #4
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
I have only kayaked a few times.
One thing about the sit in, is that you would want to be able to extract yourself from it if it capsized. Otherwise you could drown easily.

A guy that took us out went through some of it and it is something you would want to be trained up on.

The sit ons are safer that way.

It is something I would love to get trained up on at some stage and do some of the rivers and canals with the option of fishing.
Cheer for the reply.

I was thinking that alright and have had the experience of it and lived to tell the tale thankfully. It's surprisingly easy to get out of the spray deck etc when you really have to Obviously in more fast flowing white stuff it'd be a different ball game but I reckon I'm passed all that stuff and not really interested in it to be honest. I wouldn't mind shooting a few weirs I've done this before and it's great fun.

I had a look at the level 2 courses run up at Lucan and they look like a bit of craic so might sign up for one of those courses. I'm going to drop into icanoe this week and see what they suggest.
21-08-2018, 20:35   #5
Tigerandahalf

Ya you need to be careful in the water. I nearly drowned a couple of times as a kid so I 'try' to be a bit more responsible now. I like to do a lot of stuff on my own so I can understand the predicament of going out on the water on your own.

If you feel comfortable getting out and have a lifejacket on you are fairly safe but it is always something to bear in mind.

The smaller sit ins are nice and tidy and probably easy enough to transport, maybe an estate car would carry them too. I am not sure how much storage they would have?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to rent a few different ones out and see what catches your eye. There's a kayaking group not far from me and I think I will do one of their courses when I have more time on my hands in the future.

Anyway keep us updated on what you do.
Advertisement
29-08-2018, 11:32   #6
Wildly Boaring

There is a reason why these type of questions get no answer on any forums.
It is dangerous for a beginner to just head out on the river.
You should never canoe/kayak alone. 3 is the minimum.
Experienced kayakers are hesitant to help due to the above.

Those of us out and about see a lot of crazy things and often are not thanked for pulling people out of the river when they get in over their head. Personally been abused more than once for rescuing a swimmer as i let their boat float away.

Find your local club and head down to them.
Or post your location and we can direct you to your local active club.
They'll get you in a boat and you'll see all that's involved.
They'll have lot of different boats for you to try out

I canoe is your best bet for the where.

The what is down to you
Open boat would be best for what you're up to but if need something smaller these are next best.
There may even be something a bit bigger available
Don't bother with sit on top.

You mentioned PFD
Make sure you have an adequate PFD. It must be a buoyancy aid not a life jacket and it must be the right fit for you.
Your boat must have adequate buoyancy in it
Thanks from:
29-08-2018, 19:16   #7
iwillhtfu

Thanks for the response Wildly boaring and appreciate the honesty.

I wouldn't be putting myself in harms way when solo. Whilst my experience is limited I've partaken in several water based sports over the years and am comfortable in the water. In saying all that I do understand the concerns regarding safety but realistically heading out with several people all of the time won't be possible. I have no plans or interest in tackling any white water alone perhaps in a club environment but dodgy shoulders rule out anything wild.

The PFD I have is a Palm equipment I can't recall the model but it is fit for purpose if a little dated. I probably don't need to update it but better to have a new safety device than an old warn one.

Tullow or Graiguenamanagh would probably be the nearest clubs to me so I might give them a shout and see how they're fixed for courses.

I have a canadian canoe on loan next month and have a few trips planned with a mate that's been involved in the sport for years so looking forward to that.

Thanks again I plan to drop into I canoe next week and I'll have a chat with them about courses etc. I see there's some good courses running up near Lucan.
22-05-2019, 12:25   #8
iwillhtfu

Just an update on this I ended up going with the canadian canoe and I have to say it's been perfect for what I hand in mind.

Thanks again to those that responded

Last edited by iwillhtfu; 23-05-2019 at 21:13.
23-05-2019, 22:04   #9
JustThisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillhtfu View Post
Just an update on this I ended up going with the canadian canoe and I have to say it's been perfect for what I hand in mind.

Thanks again to those that responded

Can I just ask where did you get it? I'm planning on heading out for a day on Saturday and I was wondering if you know of any places that would even rent it ? I'm heading to athlone from Dublin..
Advertisement
24-05-2019, 18:15   #10
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThisGuy View Post
Can I just ask where did you get it? I'm planning on heading out for a day on Saturday and I was wondering if you know of any places that would even rent it ? I'm heading to athlone from Dublin..
I bought it from an absolute gentleman up in Leitrim.

I don't know of anywhere around athlone that rent canoes you can do over night self guided trip along the Barrow down near Graiguenamanagh through https://gowiththeflow.ie/

Or if you'd rather head further north there's http://www.adventuregentlyireland.com/ and they're spoiled for landscape and flat water which is ideal for a canoe trip. I'd happily recommend these guys very easy going and helpful.
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 20:03   #11
iwillhtfu

Smashing weather we're getting at the moment although water levels are low it's great weather for cruising.

This forum really is tumble weed it's a shame.

(2) thanks from:
02-06-2020, 20:25   #12
Tigerandahalf

I have seen some kayaks and canoes out lately. You really need the weather for it I guess.
A beautiful way to spend a day.

The canoe seems to the best option for gentle cruising especially if taking family with you.
A lot of the canals are being opened up and improved too.

Do you transport it on the car roof?

I have wondered is it better to rent given the cost of buying and the use you would get out of it. Add in storage and transportation too.
02-06-2020, 20:43   #13
iwillhtfu

Quote:
I have seen some kayaks and canoes out lately. You really need the weather for it I guess.
A beautiful way to spend a day.

The canoe seems to the best option for gentle cruising especially if taking family with you.
A lot of the canals are being opened up and improved too.

Do you transport it on the car roof?

I have wondered is it better to rent given the cost of buying and the use you would get out of it. Add in storage and transportation too.
Yeah I transport it on the roof but I'm lucky in that I live less than 1km from the barrow.

I'd definitely recommend the canoe for canals and for carrying a load be it family of camping gear etc.

They're not cheap and storage I've fitted a rack alongside the house above head height so I hardly notice it when I'm not using it.

The rental canoes are usually pretty crap and it's nice to be able to fit out your own one but there is an arguement for rental alright but it's not really cheap either.
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 20:51   #14
Tigerandahalf

If the climate was better (like the last 3 months) I would be more inclined to buy.
But you need some decent weather and a lack of midges to really enjoy it.

I would be open to doing fishing off one or perhaps camp overnight but the kids are still too young and time is limited.

Lovely to see your photos though.
I have kayaked here and abroad a few times and it is a lovely way to put down a day, take a picnic, etc.
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 21:12   #15
iwillhtfu

Quote:
If the climate was better (like the last 3 months) I would be more inclined to buy.
But you need some decent weather and a lack of midges to really enjoy it.

I would be open to doing fishing off one or perhaps camp overnight but the kids are still too young and time is limited.

Lovely to see your photos though.
I have kayaked here and abroad a few times and it is a lovely way to put down a day, take a picnic, etc.
Ah it is a great escape altogether, I took this at 6am and was home for 09:30 just enough to clear the head and soak up some fresh air.

Midges aren't to bad once you're moving but even think about standing still they descend en masse.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion