Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How are the English different from us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

. Place answers in historical context. Relate answers to our heritage.

Attempting to address the OP question as per instructions above, I find it surprising that Religion has not figured much in previous posts. If the question "whats different between Irish and English" had been put to our parents or grandparents, there is no doubt that the first thing most would have said is "we're Catholics and they're Protestants" -simplistic, but that is how most people thought 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Attempting to address the OP question as per instructions above, I find it surprising that Religion has not figured much in previous posts. If the question "whats different between Irish and English" had been put to our parents or grandparents, there is no doubt that the first thing most would have said is "we're Catholics and they're Protestants" -simplistic, but that is how most people thought 40 years ago.

This is true- Religion has a role in differences between people. Again when we look over 150 years of history currently perceived different traits can be linked to this.

For example I would suggest Catholic Bishops speaking out on issues happened in an ad hoc manner. Reference to the first half of the 20th century when Catholic church leaders spoke out on random social issues in Ireland- e.g. jazz music, role of women, etc. In England comment on these items would have been the responsibility of a more regulated government role. This in my view can be linked into the generally accepted stereotype of Irish people being more lassaiz faire when it comes to rules/ laws that can be ignored in certain situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Through inter-marriage we've managed to erase and blend most of the differences that might have existed centuries ago. Some of my English ancestors who arrived in the 17th century, stayed and intermarried, hence developed an Irish branch of the family.

A look through the various Irish phone directories, will reveal as many Anglo-Norman and English surnames, as there are traditional Irish. In the case of the Anglo-Normans, we know from history they blended in remarkably well. Who for instance nowadays, would regard surnames like Power or Fitzgerald as being anything but Irish ?

There are some subtle differences though, one being we seem to get worked up over hot religious and political topics - English people don't, or at least to the same extent. Pints, sport, good conversation, music and the craic are common to both, or at least in the circles I revolved in.

It seems inherent in the OP's question, that these 'differences' have to be 'eeked out' - due to the cultural blending, they're not readily apparent apart from accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Perhaps but many people have a more nuanced view and did so 40 years ago too. Many would acknowledge the protestants have and always had a sizeable presence in Ireland. There is even a more sizeable number of UK Catholics. There are more Catholics in the UK then there are in Ireland and most are in England not Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

robp wrote: »
    Perhaps but many people have a more nuanced view and did so 40 years ago too. Many would acknowledge the protestants have and always had a sizeable presence in Ireland. There is even a more sizeable number of UK Catholics. There are more Catholics in the UK then there are in Ireland and most are in England not Northern Ireland.
    Of course I agree with robp that my previous post was simplistic. But in historical terms religion had a huge influence on the development of different lifestyles and attitudes in Ireland and England.
    In the 19th century many in the British establishment classes firmly believed that Ireland's problems were due to its people being lazy, slovenly, drunken and lawless. Furthermore, they believed these characteristics could be blamed on Roman Catholic teaching. How could this be argued? - well RC teaching emphasised the role of the church, the sacraments, prayers for the dead and indulgences. Protestant teaching on the other hand was that salvation was a matter of personal responsibility, everyone was individually responsible for their soul and could not be saved by the church. So it was believed RC's were careless and irresponsible whereas Prods were the opposite.
    This (not entirely false, but inaccurate) view of the Irish by elements in England influenced the development of Irish Nationalism, and all the subsequent nationalist struggles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Irish music and the GAA would be two big cultural differences between some Irish and English people that I know..

But really the question is far too basic.. how different is a hurling playing farmer from Kilkenny to an cricket playing investment banker from Merrion? Pretty damn different from my experience, and I've seen similar differences among English people I know, between urban/rural and class, or wealth rather than class in Ireland's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Some very interesting replies here. I originally started this thread as a Basque guy I was having a pint with said that the English are so different than the Irish. He meant that we're more open and friendlier and more willing to mix with locals here in Spain. a broad statement I understand. Are we friendlier for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

A friend was in southern Spain with his family, in a cheap as chips hotel. At the pool bar, the barman called him English, so he politely pointed out that he was Scottish.

The barman then asked why he was on holiday with a group of drunken English families, which confused my friend because he was the only non Irish person in the hotel.

As he walked back to his lounger, he realised why the barman was confused. All the kids and half the adults were running around in Man United and Liverpool football shirts.

There is very very little difference between the two to be honest.

That means nothing, if I wore a New York Giants jersey would it mean I am very similar to an American?

Ipso wrote: »
    I'd say it's further back, even interaction between the North and Scotland goes back thousands of years.

It depends what you define interaction as, the Dal Riada 1500 years ago was only a small corner of Ulster, later down the years the medieval Gaels of Scotland fought on the Irish side against the Normans and English, but that wasn't solely a northern thing, they also settled in the west too.

I wouldn't think south Tyrone and south Armagh had much to do with Scotland over the years, the connection was mainly a north coast thing, apart from the plantations of course but that was all about politics, sure the English could easily have decided just to plant a pile of Cornish people in Ulster back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That means nothing, if I wore a New York Giants jersey would it mean I am very similar to an American?

You've missed my point.

To someone not from these islands, we are very similar. Despite Irish claims to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They have slot machines in their pubs, very odd stuff.

They have machines in their pubs, very odd stuff.

Yes, the work shy in England get less exercise than the work shy in Ireland. They don't need to walk next door to Ladbrokes to throw away the remnants of their dole money, there is a machine that saves them the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You've missed my point.

To someone not from these islands, we are very similar. Despite Irish claims to the contrary.
    I dunno. My wife is from Australia, which is about as far from these islands as you can get. As an adult she lived for twelve years in the UK, before coming to live in Ireland. She was struck by how very different, socially and culturally, the two countries are (which she had not really expected - she expected only fairly superficial differences).

Couple of thoughts on differences:

Yes, England is largely protestant, and influenced by Protestantism, whereas Catholicism has been a more dominant influence in Ireland. But we can ask why this was? Why did the English, largely, accept the reformation while the Irish, largely, did not? That suggests that there were already cultural differences between the two countries.

And I think the difference was colonisation. The English ruling classes accepted the reformation because it was to their advantage, financially and politically. (Dissolution of the monasteries, etc.) The Irish ruling classes, likewise. But in England the population largely followed their social superiors, because they trusted them and saw them as natural leaders. Not so in Ireland, for the most part, where local bigwigs were either colonial incomers, or Norman/Irish magnates who had compromised with a culturally foreign and unfamiliar government. I think the Irish just didn't have the same trust in the leaders of their society as the English did; hence, they didn't embrace the Reformation. Hence also a continuing difference in social attitudes to government and the exercise of government power, which persists to this day.

Then, of course, you have other differing historical experiences between the two countries - most of Ireland never underwent the social changes consequent on the industrial revolution, for example, with mass migration from rural to urban areas and consequent weakening of social structures depending on the extended family. And that, I think, gives rise to different dymanics around the extended family in England and Ireland, though the dynamics of the nuclear family are probably fairly similar.

Irish Catholic sexual puritanism, ironically, may be an inheritance from England, at least party. The Irish Magdalen laundries, for instance, had their parallels in England, (Lutheran) Scandinavia and the (Protestant) United States, but not in Spain, Italy or France. I don't think this is a coincidence. Of course sexual puritanism was also one of the outcomes of the Famine, which is an experience not shared with England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dunford wrote: »
    Some very interesting replies here. I originally started this thread as a Basque guy I was having a pint with said that the English are so different than the Irish. He meant that we're more open and friendlier and more willing to mix with locals here in Spain. a broad statement I understand. Are we friendlier for example?

Friendlier? Yes and no.

I think it's a really mixed bag. Sometimes here in Ireland people are so friendly, nearly too friendly to begin with, and too instant, (and too superficial)? In England I did did notice over many years that friends can be harder to win, but the friendships can be deeper. But ya'know what, "the English and the Irish" are very similar, not just genetically but culturally too, which is to be expected considering our proximity, plus the fact that we're all on a group of islands together!

In my experience the Irish (Southern) have a lot more in common the the English than the Scots or the Welsh! but its all very nuanced. But then who are the English? . . . England is such a melting pot nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hence also a continuing difference in social attitudes to government and the exercise of government power, which persists to this day.

Do you mean Irish attitudes to exercise if government power?
    What do you see as the differences?

You've missed my point.

That is the same everywhere, I view Canadians the same as yanks but they don't like me saying that, if i lived in Canada and USA I probably would notice the differences, though it can't be compared to this situation as Canadians and yanks have a similar history with being European colonists whereas English were Saxons and Irish Gaels.

Plus you are probably just thinking of how English and Irish are the same race, would an irishman be very similar to an Asian family in England?

It doesn't matter if the people are similar today, we have a very different history and that is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I view Canadians the same as yanks but they don't like me saying that

You're darn tootin' we don't.

It's like me calling you British because you live in the British Isles.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    You're darn tootin' we don't.

It's like me calling you British because you live in the British Isles.

tac

Canadians are North American though, maybe the whites don't care about that but I would have thought the native Canadians would have respected their north American heritage.

You have to remember than many of the Canadian First Nation tribes are only Canadian because they got expelled from the thirteen colonies by the victorious Americans after having had sided with the English during the Revolutionary War. Obviously I'm excluding the Inuit here, whose ancestors must have been among the first to inhabit the North American continent at some time between 15000 and 12000 years ago.

In Ontario we have a number of tribal 'reservation' areas, noticeably Curve Lake [Ojibwa] and Tyendinaga/Deseronto [Mohawk] First Nations whose tribes used live south of the present day border. My CDF Chief Warrant Officer was pure Blackfoot, and ostensibly Canadian, and wouldn't pee on an American to put him out if he was on fire.

In any case, because of the status of the First Nations within the Confederation of Canada as the original inhabitants of the continent, they view most of us whites as mere parvenues. The Mohawk nation, for example, are not strictly Canadians, since they originally swore their tribal allegiance 'in perpetuity' to Queen Anne, her heirs and successors, a written document that makes no mention of the current confederation of provinces that we call Canada. So, in theory at least, they are as British as the Newfoundlanders were until 1949, or anybody born on the Isle of Wight.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That is the same everywhere, I view Canadians the same as yanks but they don't like me saying that, if i lived in Canada and USA I probably would notice the differences, though it can't be compared to this situation as Canadians and yanks have a similar history with being European colonists whereas English were Saxons and Irish Gaels.
    What about French Canadians? And do you view mexicans as the same too? Since they are also descended from european colonists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

First and foremost, they are Canadian. Then French, although many of them are not of French extraction, bleeve it or not. It is anomalous to the so-called Afro-Americans living south of the 48th. Nor does living in Québec automatically make you a French Canadian, a term that many of us dislike. The Anglophone population of Québec is quite large, although of course, they also speak French since Canada is officially a bi-lingual country, except for Nunavut, where the native Inuit would laff their muqluqs off if they were told that they had to leanr to speak French. In Québec you are simply living in a part of Canada, like New Brunswick, where the principal language reflects the origins of the initial European input. In spite of the name, New Brunswick is predominantly Francophone. Walk into a store in Ontario, the next province along from Québec, speaking French, and you are most likely to get a blank stare, although there are exceptions like the beautiful young lady in a Kawartha ice-cream cafe in in Orono......

Oh, and Ottawa, the national capital. On one side of the Ottawa River you have Hull*/Gatineau in Québec, and cross the bridge and you are in downtown Ottawa, where many speak French as a courtesy, or ARE workers from the other side, and are therefore Francophone anyhow. While I was working there for the CDF I used both languages very day, and it didn't hurt me one bit. I would add, though, that I AM the only member of my family who is also Francophone.

I'd also take you to task about the European origins of the Mexicans, too, as the vast majority are descended from the incumbent native population there when Cortés arrived. A casual glance at the language breakdown of present-day Mexico would show this fact.

tac

* Hull, pronounced 'Ool' - like 'wool' without the 'w'.

What about French Canadians? And do you view mexicans as the same too? Since they are also descended from european colonists

Avril Lavigne comes to mind, I wouldn't view her as much different to a yank, I used to think she was a yank actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is such a broad and sweeping statement as to be almost nonsensical.

looksee wrote: »
    That is such a broad and sweeping statement as to be almost nonsensical.

Well maybe on the english side but certainly not my own personal ancestry as it is mainly Gaelic with some Norse from scotland. Religion kept the english / plantation scots segregated from my catholic ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well maybe on the english side but certainly not my own personal ancestry as it is mainly Gaelic with some Norse from scotland. Religion kept the english / plantation scots segregated from my catholic ancestors.

But the Scottish people stoll came from the same background (although with some Norse and Angle input in certain areas).

Ipso wrote: »
    But the Scottish people stoll came from the same background (although with some Norse and Angle input in certain areas).

All the people on these islands come from the same background, do you think the early inhabitants of Ireland and Scotland just appeared out of nowhere, or flew in over England?

The main difference is that a lot of England had European influence far more recently thanks to the Angles, Saxons and Normans.

As for Scotland, are you referring to the Gaelic ones, the Pictish ones or the Caledonii?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

All the people on these islands come from the same background,
    Only in the same way they have the same background as people of France or the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

In my experience, the English are generally much better at planning, preparation, organisation and being systematic and thorough than the Irish are. I don't know if this is cultural or genetic.

Advertisement