Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

DarkDusk wrote: »
    The dollar is the reserve currency, therefore everything is priced in dollars. Your stocks are merely converted into another currency.

If the dollar reserve currency paradigm goes (it has gone past the average lifespan of a monetary system, roughly 40 years), then I would not like to be in stocks, because all currencies would have to be scrapped.

Codswollop.... my god....

The dollar is the reserve currency, therefore everything is priced in dollars. Your stocks are merely converted into another currency.

If the dollar reserve currency paradigm goes (it has gone past the average lifespan of a monetary system, roughly 40 years), then I would not like to be in stocks, because all currencies would have to be scrapped.
    "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" abe lincoln

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Codswollop, my god

I think it's better to remain silent than to reply with a pointless post expressing your unimportant feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

euroboom13 wrote: »
    Codswollop.... my god....

You've added nothing of value to this thread.

You've added nothing of value to this thread.
    "A man should be judged on what he has done and not what he is going to do"!Henry Ford

This thread is over one year old and for the past year i have been consistant!Now is the time for risk not safety!
    In the past year stocks have risen considerably/gold has fallen considerably.
    Where i have no doubt that you will be correct in the future and gold will go to $2000.I have proven to be very accurate in my predictions this past year.
    Not only have you been wrong in your valuation of gold but also in your value on my advice("added nothing"!)
    I am sorry if my post are poorly writin but as for value ,it holds its own.:mad:

• Advertisement

I think it's better to remain silent than to reply with a pointless post expressing your unimportant feelings.

This post was set up to discuss peoples feelings about gold!I know it was only set up to cheerlead gold bugs!My unimportant feelings have been to warn people of the pitfalls i saw(correctly)!

I hope some open minded people have profited!
    As for your childish,personal attack,it proves to me what type of people like investing and why it is so easy for me to profit from investing time and time again!
    Believe your own views and make me even wealtier.
    Thank you very much:rolleyes:

Not only have you been wrong in your valuation of gold but also in your value on my advice("added nothing"!)
    He meant that specific post, not all the posts you made in this thread - he did quote a specif post after all.

Before I continue, I'd like to ask how much time you put aside for investing and researching stocks every day/week, just out of interest.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 cook_my_sock

goldbugs are true believers , doesn't matter if the thing has fallen by 30% in the past year , if someone bought stock a year ago and it had dropped 30% , they would view it as a bad call

He meant that specific post, not all the posts you made in this thread - he did quote a specif post after all.

Before I continue, I'd like to ask how much time you put aside for investing and researching stocks every day/week, just out of interest.

I don`t study trading graph or any magic formulas that others use.I study history,world politics and world markets.I read peoples views on how the world works and try to predict what is coming down the road.I study whats happening in the world now , everyday,not by watching bloomberg but through twitter and other ways.I read every financial biography i can get my hands on.I study every period of major world events from 1815 to now.High finance and world politics,is my interest.

I believe that the wrong road to follow in investing is the obvious one!
    I can tell be your threads (and the above question)that you but allot of strength into studying graphs,annual reports and trading tools which i believe to be very misleading.

In your last attack you said you where uninterested in my unimportant feelings and then you ask me more on my personal investment knowledge!!!lets just say i come from a very satisfactory speculative background

before you continue. Your arguments is why i don`t like to debate,not because i feel i am right.My opinions are allways open

This thread is over one year old and for the past year i have been consistant!Now is the time for risk not safety!
    In the past year stocks have risen considerably/gold has fallen considerably.

Either I'm not clarifying my comments or you're just ignoring the points I'm making. There's money to be made in the stock market and you apparently are benefiting from it. I understand that. If I had 20k to invest I would do the same. But I don't.

To clarify again, my point is in regards to investing in gold long term. In order to preserve wealth.

If I got a valuation wrong, so what? I'm not a financial adviser or an economist. It's why I check in here now and again to try and pick up some advice.
    I am sorry if my post are poorly writin but as for value ,it holds its own.:mad:

Can you post your portfolio?

• Advertisement

I believe that the wrong road to follow in investing is the obvious one!
    I can tell be your threads (and the above question)that you but allot of strength into studying graphs,annual reports and trading tools which i believe to be very misleading.

Stocks are the obvious investment option, everyone is putting money into stocks at the moment due to the attractiveness of bonds. While you may have spotted some stocks with good fundmentals, these stocks will be pulled down by the rest of the market in the event of a deep correction e.g. 2008. Gold is probably the most unloved asset to invest in right now and the sentiment is not good (just like in 2000). The only analysis I do is comparing gold to other assets (not just dollars), such as bonds, silver, property and stocks. With gold, the fundamentals remain - and those fundamentals are what let me sleep at night with big pullbacks/corrections.

I do not study graphs, I use them in threads for ease of communication. I am in no way a technical analyst. I just look at the fundamentals for the future - future meaning 1-2+ years, not 6 months.

Heads up on US dollar, I believe recent decline is only the beginning and we could see sustained declines in the USD dollar index for at least 15-20 weeks. If this plays out, it would be perfect for gold. We could be looking at declines in the index down to below 75, which would be super bullish for gold.

A correction is overdue in the dollar, this could be it.

Either I'm not clarifying my comments or you're just ignoring the points I'm making. There's money to be made in the stock market and you apparently are benefiting from it. I understand that. If I had 20k to invest I would do the same. But I don't.

To clarify again, my point is in regards to investing in gold long term. In order to preserve wealth.

If I got a valuation wrong, so what? I'm not a financial adviser or an economist. It's why I check in here now and again to try and pick up some

Can you post your portfolio?

I am speculator,my investment trend at the moment and for the past 4yrs is european banks and recovery stocks,most are doing well apart from one disaster.My "safe haven" investment is debt free property(has an income and capital gain unlike gold).My portfolio is my portfolio and do not need or want to promote it in anyway.I only post when a get annoyed with cheerleading,like what happened with the property market.

I am speculator,my investment trend at the moment and for the past 4yrs is european banks and recovery stocks,most are doing well apart from one disaster.My "safe haven" investment is debt free property(has an income and capital gain unlike gold).My portfolio is my portfolio and do not need or want to promote it in anyway.I only post when a get annoyed with cheerleading,like what happened with the property market.

Gold is not in a bubble, full stop. There was a bubble in 1980, however gold at the moment does not even come close to the signs of a bubble which were there 30 years ago.

Edit:
    I do not speculate, and I will never speculate - it's just something I don't do. I don't have as much time as you (or cash) to research individual stocks and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Best advice for anyone on here would be to not take advice from guys on here who think they are experts on the subject.

A quick read through the thread will show you there's a lot of keyboard bluffers.

My "safe haven" investment is debt free property(has an income and capital gain unlike gold).

Again, preaching to the converted here. You're insulting people's intelligence now.

Let me put it as straight forward as I can. It's an old chestnut for any financial adviser, but let's give you a crack at the whip.

For someone who has between €1,000 to €10,000 to invest, what would advise them to invest in?
    My portfolio is my portfolio and do not need or want to promote it in anyway.

I'm not for one moment asking you to post sensitive or personal information. You can post a list of stock choices you have and the reasons you chose them.

I'm here to educate myself. You're not convincing with the comments that you are making.
    I only post when a get annoyed with cheerleading,like what happened with the property market.

I can cheerlead for gold as I have evidence to suggest that it's a good investment, long term. As I have outlined earlier.

Again, preaching to the converted here. You're insulting people's intelligence now.

Let me put it as straight forward as I can. It's an old chestnut for any financial adviser, but let's give you a crack at the whip.

For someone who has between €1,000 to €10,000 to invest, what would advise them to invest in?

I'm not for one moment asking you to post sensitive or personal information. You can post a list of stock choices you have and the reasons you chose them.

I'm here to educate myself. You're not convincing with the comments that you are making.

I can cheerlead for gold as I have evidence to suggest that it's a good investment, long term. As I have outlined earlier.

bank of ireland 5000 to 50000 shares 16 cent would be nice ,anything below 23 cent a good bet for an irish recovery...Stay clear of aib/ptsb till state exit if ever.
    pure punt 1000euros on inm 35000 shares IF it recovers you will see a 5x on your punt within 6 months(or get wiped)
    barclay/soc gen needs to fall back but good buys in long run!
    any banks right now are well priced for a cap gain and dividends will return
    READ...history

Your gold evidence is very main stream which worries me. QE means higher prices but not in Gold this time, WHY?

Your gold evidence is very main stream which worries me. QE means higher prices but not in Gold this time, WHY?

Mainstream? You don't see articles in the newspapers every week on about gold, nor do you hear it on the radio or the television. Gold is under owned. Out of curiosity, have you ever owned gold or silver?

Inflation is in the stock markets right now, and will leak into commodities when stocks fall, which is inevitable. Gold and silver went too high too fast when they touched their all-time highs last time. Gold is at the end of its consolidation period which usually lasts around 15 months. The last move up in gold to 1900 was higher than any other move up which means the consolidation takes longer.

You didn't comment on what I said about gold not being in a bubble...

Mainstream? You don't see articles in the newspapers every week on about gold, nor do you hear it on the radio or the television. Gold is under owned. Out of curiosity, have you ever owned gold or silver?

Inflation is in the stock markets right now, and will leak into commodities when stocks fall, which is inevitable. Gold and silver went too high too fast when they touched their all-time highs last time. Gold is at the end of its consolidation period which usually lasts around 15 months. The last move up in gold to 1900 was higher than any other move up which means the consolidation takes longer.

You didn't comment on what I said about gold not being in a bubble...
    I said gold was half way between being too expensive and being too cheap.$1000 relatively cheap $1700 expensive..I have never owned Gold as an investment because it has only one upside which is capitol gain.I am a seculator and like to get in as close to bottom or not at all.With gold only having a cap gain potential, time is everything.

Every shopping centre i goto there is a man buying your unwanted gold.The discovery channel is on about gold everytime i switch it on .Max kieser is on twitter flat out on bout GOLD...

Mainstream....

stock market is over inflated but only in certain area`s.Banking stock way under valued after BANKING crisis

• Advertisement

Every shopping centre i goto there is a man buying your unwanted gold.The discovery channel is on about gold everytime i switch it on .Max kieser is on twitter flat out on bout GOLD...

Yes, wanting YOUR gold. When those guys try to SELL THEIR gold to you and people start lining up outside jewelry stores to buy gold, then you know it's in a bubble.

The general population know nothing about gold, which makes up over 90% of people. Try going around the streets and asking people how much an ounce of gold is, you'd be surprised what prices they come up with!

Ah, just the video I was looking for, thought I wouldn't be able to find it. :) Backs up my previous post, about the general public and gold.

Ah, just the video I was looking for, thought I wouldn't be able to find it. :) Backs up my previous post, about the general public and gold.

Just proved that most people can`t get there head round how expencive gold is.!!!how does that make a bull market.:o

Just proved that most people can`t get there head round how expencive gold is.!!!how does that make a bull market.:o

Didn't say bull market, although gold is still in a bull market. It means gold has not reached bubble stage yet. When property was in a bubble, everyone was talking about houses and their prices, attending auctions etc. When you hear your neighbour on about gold, then it's in a bubble.

I think gold and silver, with the next move up, will enter bubble phase after this violent v-shaped recovery, like the Nasdaq in 1999 and Oil in 2007. Top in the bull market in about 2014/2015, probably looking at $4000/$5000 gold followed by 8-year cycle low and bear market.

We WILL see a 10% min correction in stocks by year end, mark my words.

Heads up on US dollar, I believe recent decline is only the beginning and we could see sustained declines in the USD dollar index for at least 15-20 weeks. If this plays out, it would be perfect for gold. We could be looking at declines in the index down to below 75, which would be super bullish for gold.

A correction is overdue in the dollar, this could be it.

Things aren't looking good for the dollar, basically in free fall right now...

Things are shaping up for a deep correction in stocks...

Bonds away...

barclay/soc gen needs to fall back but good buys in long run!
    any banks right now are well priced for a cap gain and dividends will return

Barclays and Societe Generale both down over 2% today... Stocks and bonds all over the world falling recently.
    stock market is over inflated but only in certain area`s.Banking stock way under valued after BANKING crisis

Banking crisis has not been averted, QE has created the illusion of a recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

gold went down 12% in the two weeks after that interview.

Advertisement