Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2010, 16:11   #61
oncevotedff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
....and the seventh Earl (b. 1934), who has not been seen since 1974, was found guilty in absentia of the murder of his children's nanny, Mrs. Sandra Rivett, and the attempted murder of his wife. (bio by: Iain MacFarlaine)
Hasn't his son been attempting to have his father declared dead and so inherit the title? There was an article in the papers many years ago about ground rents in Castlebar being owed to the estate.
Advertisement
05-07-2010, 22:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncevotedff View Post
Hasn't his son been attempting to have his father declared dead and so inherit the title? There was an article in the papers many years ago about ground rents in Castlebar being owed to the estate.
Yes it is ongoing as far as I know. After a regular spot on Spitting Image 'Lucky' Lord Lucan has disappeared without trace which is a bit of a pain for his heir but I'm sure all his tenants in Mayo are quite happy.

05-07-2010, 22:30   #63

Another famous seafaring man from the Sunny South East was Commodore John Barry (1745-1803) who is acknowledged as the founder of the US navy. There are statues to the Tacumshane man all over the place and his final resting place is in Saint Mary's Catholic Churchyard, Philadelphia

More info than you could possibly want here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barry_(naval_officer)
05-07-2010, 22:48   #64

And one final one for tonight - a tale from the crypt. Bram Stoker (1847-1912), a black protestant wouldn't you know it and creator of Dracula. More info here: http://www.fairview-marino.com/bram-stoker

Bram Stoker's ashes along with those of his son repose in an urn at Golders Green Crematorium in London. I hope the lid is well fastened down!
05-07-2010, 22:49   #65

I was literally about to post up that! Great minds eh!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2010, 22:50   #66
twowheelsonly

Thomas Kent (Ceannt), one of the leaders of the 1916 Rising and after whom Kent Railway Station in Cork is named, is buried in the grounds of Cork Prison and a memorial service is held there each year.
Thanks from:
05-07-2010, 22:51   #67
garbanzo

Great thread folks. I laughed my arse off a few times at some of the comments. Keep it up.
05-07-2010, 23:29   #68

One last one before bed - William Joyce aka Lord Haw Haw - World War II comedian/voice of Germany?

Not so funny though if you were living in Britain during the war. I knew that he had been executed in England after the war but never realised that he had been brought back to Ireland. No pic of the grave in Galway yet but an interesting piece from the Connacht Tribune of Aug.20th 1976 here:

Galway Grave for Lord Haw Haw

Connacht Tribune, Friday, August 20, 1976.

The remains of Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce) will finally be laid to rest in Galway this afternoon, thirty years after he was hanged in London for treason. The reburial ends a ten—year campaign by Joyce's daughter, Mrs. Heather Iandolo, to have her father's remains brought to the city where he spent a large part of his childhood.

Galway Corporation yesterday confirmed that the reburial would take place at the New Cemetery in Bohermore at 2.30p.m. The complete funeral arrangements are being handled by an English firm of undertakers.

While it could not be confirmed yesterday what the traveling arrangements for the funeral party were, it seemed likely that the remains would be transported on the overnight car ferry from Holyhead, arriving in Dun Laoghaire at 6 a.m. The cortege was expected to set out by road for Galway this morning.

Mrs. Iandolo, a schoolteacher from Gillingham in Kent, has been campaigning since 1966 to have her father's remains removed to Galway. In that year she wrote to the then Mayor of Galway, Councillor Brendan Holland, enquiring about the possibility of going ahead with the reburial.

Councillor Holland thought the plan was acceptable and Mrs. Iandolo was given permission by the British Home Office in 1973 to have her father's remains exhumed from Wandsworth Prison in London. The Irish Government gave their consent in 1975.

Mrs. Iandolo then sought permission from Galway Corporation early this year and councillors readily acceded to her request.

A firm of undertakers in Middlesex began making arrangements for the transfer of the remains and through a local firm they arranged for the grave to be opened and a headstone to be erected.

The headstone, a white marble cross, will bear the inscription: "I am the resurrection and the life" — Dona eis Requiem — William Joyce, 23 April, 1906 — 3 January, 1946.

Family Background

Joyce was born in America in 1906. His father was Irish and his mother came from Yorkshire. The family came to Galway about 1920 and some time later the family moved to Britain. In 1924 a picture of Joyce was published in the Daily Sketch showing him with a razor slash on his check following a fracas involving Oswald Moseley's fascist marchers.

Joyce married in a London registry office at the age of 21 and later divorced his wife to marry Lancashire—born Margaret Carins White, whom he had met at a political rally.

They went to Germany and in September 1939 Joyce began his career on Radio Hamburg which was to earn him the nickname "Lord Haw Haw".

Joyce adopted a terribly British accent broadcasting Nazi propaganda and his chilling "Germany Calling, Germany Calling," introduction struck fear into homes all over Britain throughout the war.

Ironically, it was his distinctive voice which led to his capture after the war — Hilter's infamous propaganda minister Josef Goebbels made special arrangements for Joyce's escape, but Joyce got chatting to British officers in Denmark and his voice was recognized.

Brought back to Britain, he was placed on trial for treason (under the same 14th Century act which Roger Casement was tried) and sentenced to hang. He was hanged at Wandsworth Prison on January 3, 1946.
05-07-2010, 23:31   #69

Quote:
And one final one for tonight - a tale from the crypt. Bram Stoker (1847-1912), a black protestant wouldn't you know it and creator of Dracula. More info here: http://www.fairview-marino.com/bram-stoker

Bram Stoker's ashes along with those of his son repose in an urn at Golders Green Crematorium in London. I hope the lid is well fastened down!
Supposedly he or his ma spent time in Sligo at the time of the first cholera epidemic (1830-1832) and this was what gave him the inspiration for his book. Supposedly....
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-07-2010, 00:06   #70

I really am off to bed now but in a final search for a pic of Lord Haw Haw's grave I hit upon this gem - includes details of his bizarre capture, audio of a drunken last radio broadcast and details surrounding his trial and execution. Have a look you won't be disappointed.

http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/20...rison-in-1946/
06-07-2010, 00:10   #71

Quote:

Now I am not saying Bram Stoker was supersticious but Cremation was unusual for peoople of his class so just maybe .......................

http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/how-to-kill-a-vampire.html

Quote:
How to Kill a Vampire with Fire
Quote:

At first, fire seems like an easy fix to your vampire problems, but there is a problem. Yes, it will burn vampires, just like it burns humans, but unlike sunlight and silver, it's only through natural means that a vampire will burn by fire. What I mean is, the reason sunlight and silver burn a vampire and cause its healing process to slow dramatically is because vampires are inherently cursed by these two elements. While fire can burn just as well as sunlight or silver, it does nothing to slow the healing process of the vampire, because vampires are not cursed with a weakness to fire.
If you're going to use fire to kill a vampire, you're going to need to have a big fire and have the vampire stuck in it for a long time. Probably, say, an hour to be safe, though about a half hour will usually do the trick. This is because the vampire heals as it burns. The hotter the fire, the faster it burns, but you're still basically trying to beat the speed of the vampire's healing process. Should the vampire be mostly burnt but then escape the fire, it can still survive.
It was not unusual for this time -Dr Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle wrote Sherlock Holmes.

Sir Arthur was hoaxed by two young girls with the fairy photos and alsi believed in spiritualism .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...n-fairies.html

Last edited by CDfm; 06-07-2010 at 10:41.
06-07-2010, 11:37   #72

Prince Michael Neale,(pronounced Nail) was Gazetted in Time Magazine on Sept 11 1944 as Prince Michael of the Saltees . Born in Ballymitty Co Wexford in 1911 he lived until 1998.

Quote:
Europe had a new royal house last week. In Dublin newspapers appeared a personal pronouncement: "I, Prince Michael Neale, landowner, will assume the title of Prince of the Saltees at the conclusion of the war. Also I wish it to be known that no one will be permitted to enter the Saltee Islands without a permit issued by me." Anybody caught interfering with the millions of birds or their eggs which inhabit those islands will be severely dealt with.
Prince Michael Neale is Eire's No. 1 manufacturer of cattle dip. As a County Wexford farmer's son, he used to lie on a cliff top in the long grass and gaze south across St. George's Channel to the tiny, haze-blue Saltee Islands. Since his first name was legally Prince, it was easy for a farm boy to daydream: "Some day I'll own those islands and become a real prince." He took to calling the Saltees "Paradise."
By last year he had sold enough dip to buy the Saltees. He began planting 3,000 trees, developing his domain as a luxury tourist resort. He also talked about recruiting a private army.
But last week Prince Neale had a right royal headache. To a reporter the Dublin prince-presumptive confided: "My wife, a Liverpool woman, is a bit shy about using the title of Princess. . . ." He added thoughtfully: "Anyone who does not call me Prince will be ignored

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz0stagexS5
He fought a long battle with the county council over rates, and refused to enter into correspondence with them until the addressed him as Prince.

He used to fly into Wexford in his private plane and give relatives kids plane rides during the harvest.

Was he a crank, I dont think so, he was a successful entrepeneur and owning the Islands was a boyhood dream.Unable to find any commercial exploitation for it he declared it a bird sanctuary.

I know he has a tomb somewhere and had a throne on the Island.

Where is he buried.
06-07-2010, 13:18   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDfm View Post
Oscar Wilde is Jim Morrisons neighbour at Pere LaChaise in Paris.

Proust and Chopin are buried there too.The place is fairly huge with probably 100,000 plus graves and an estimated 1 milliom burials.So it is not exclusive.

Wildes funeral has been described as "cheap".

His wife Constance, had ownership of his works and refused to give him money as long as he saw Lord Alfred Douglas. The reason for this is likely to be to prevent a civil suit by his father the Marquess of Queensbury.

She refered to him as her "misguided husband" and they never divorced and predeceased him in 1898 and is buried in Genoa.

Oscar Wilde's life ended in great tragedy but his wife Constance remained true to him. She was forced to flee England with their two young children at his arrest and trial for "gross indecency" and the remainder of her life was lived under the name of Holland, which her children also took. Such was the "scandal" in English society of Wilde's trials that they had to flee and live anonymously and in greatly reduced financial circumstances. Considering what she had to endure she remained a decent wife to him and declined to divorce him when pressed by her family. During his prison term his mother died and it was Constance who - though ill - asked the prison authorities not to tell him and that she would come and break the news to him. She travelled from the Continent so as to be with him when she broke the news to him and console him in his grief. He later wrote about her gentleness and concern on this occasion.

Constance Wilde did not have control over any of Oscar's estate because there was none. Wilde was forced into bankruptcy during his time in prison - outrage on outrage Wilde had been taken from his prison cell in handcuffs and brought to the bankruptcy proceedings. He was penniless but his wife had some money that she had inherited in her own right. Through her own generosity she agreed to let him have part of this as income when he was released from gaol. There was a condition that he not see Alfred Douglas again but considering that Douglas was widely regarded as being largely responsible for sending Wlide to prison - and his father's actions had brought on the bankruptcy - this was not an unreasonable request. Many of Wilde's friends felt the same about Douglas. Robbie Ross was a more faithful friend and it was he who personally saw to it that Constance and the children were looked out for. After Wilde's death it was Ross who paid off Wilde's debts and purchased back many of Wilde's copyrights and gave them to Wilde's sons.

Constance died before her husband. He died in 1900. Due to a shortage of money - "I am dying as I have lived, beyond my means" - Wilde was first buried in Bagneux Cemetery - in a poor type of grave - and it was Robbie Ross who raised the money about 10 years later to have Wilde's body removed and then re-buried in Pere Lachaise.

I must say that the "misguided husband" quote has been taken completely out of context. It is from a letter that Constance wrote during the time she had decided not to divorce him and the sentence ends with her saying that she cannot refuse her husband the forgiveness that he asks of her.

I've done the pilgrimage to Pere Lachaise a few times. The inscription on the tomb is from The Ballad of Reading Gaol:

And alien tears will fill for him
Pity's long broken urn,
For his mourners will be outcast men
And outcasts always mourn.

Good old Oscar, he's a true hero - in the face of terrible odds he kept his own benevolent humanity and decency until the end. Robbie Ross's ashes are interred with him.
Thanks from:
06-07-2010, 17:12   #74

Nice one MarchDub, Oscars Ma & Pa were famous in their own rights, where are they interred.
06-07-2010, 18:07   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDfm View Post
Nice one MarchDub, Oscars Ma & Pa were famous in their own rights, where are they interred.
Oscar's father, Sir William Wilde is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin. Oscar's mother -Jane Wilde "Speranza" - is mentioned on the grave marker there but is actually buried in Kensal Green Cemetery, London. She died in London during her son's imprisonment and was refused her special request that he be allowed out of prison to visit her on her deathbed.

There are images of both graves online but alas, I am unable to embed them here. Just can't figure it - I'm not a tech person at all. Maybe you can do this?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion