Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frongoch internment camp.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

The following may help broden your research

Connolly John Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Connolly John of Kiltulla, Oranmore was transferred from Dublin to Barlinnie Detention Barracks, Glasgow on 19th May 1916
    Doyle Peter of Kiltulla, Athenry :Occupation Farmer, was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Woking Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    Doyle Thomas Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Doyle Thomas of Kiltulla, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Perth Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    Forde Patrick Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Forde Patrick of Kiltulla, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Perth Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    Gilligan John Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Gillighan Patrick of Kiltulla, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Perth Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    Halloran Denis Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Kelly James of Kiltulla, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Barlinnie Detention Barracks, Glasgow on 19th May 1916
    Kelly Michael Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Kelly Michael of Kiltulla Post Office, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Perth Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    King John Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    King John J of Kiltullagh, Oranmore, Galway :Occupation Farmer, was removed on 12th May 1916 from Richmond Barracks, Dublin and lodged in Stafford Detention Barracks on 13th May 1916
    King Patrick Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    King Patrick Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    King Peter of Kiltullagh, Oranmore, Galway :Occupation Farmer, was removed on 12th May 1916 from Richmond Barracks, Dublin and lodged in Stafford Detention Barracks on 13th May 1916
    Mahon Patrick Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mannion Michael Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mullins Thomas of Kiltulla, Athenry was transferred from Dublin to Perth Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916
    Mulryan Bart Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mulryan John Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mulryan William Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mulryan William Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Mulryan Wm of Kiltullagh, Oranmore, Galway :Occupation Farmer, was removed on 12th May 1916 from Richmond Barracks, Dublin and lodged in Stafford Detention Barracks on 13th May 1916
    Wall John Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Walsh Michael Kiltulla, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Glenanail

Robus,

Thank you very much for your help. I'm trying to get hold of Sean O Mahony's book.

I have an aerial photo of Kiltulla with many of the names you mention tagged to the houses - it will be interesting trying to match the names to the village.

You have given me a lot to work with.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

enfield wrote: »
    Irish at Frongoch.
    Immediately prior to that date over 200 men refused to answer their names or numbers, as they knew that in the case of Michael Murphy, wanted as an absentee under the Military Service Act, a wrong man was taken and M. Murphy was still in the camp.

I received some information yesterday that the "wrong man" was my grandfather

Peter Barrett, prisoner number 716, was housed in Number 6 Hut in Frongoch's North Camp. He is mentioned several times in W.J. Brennan Whitmore's book "With the Irish in Frongoch" published in Dublin December 1917, in connection with a British attempt to conscript one of the interned Volunteers into the British Army.

The British authorities in Frongoch knew the man they wanted, a Michael Murphy, was in the camp, but did not know which one he was. The Irish internees all refused to answer their names at roll call. The British tried every ruse they could think of, but the Irish refused to cooperate. This is the way W.J. Brennan Whitmore tells the story: "At last, driven to desperation, Sergeant Philips went over and laid his hand on a prisoner's shoulder. 'You are Michael Murphy, the man we want." said Philips. 'I am not the man you want." replied the prisoner, moving out of the ranks. Philips maintained that he was, so he was placed in cells. Now the man whom Philips had picked out as Michael Murphy, of London, was in reality a Galway youth named Barrett. Had Philips been endeavouring to pick out a man to suit our purpose he could not have succeeded better. Barrett was quite a different man altogether from Murphy so far as physical makeup was concerned; and besides which, he was full of determination and grit.

"That evening word went speeding to Mr. Gavan Duffy informing him of the whole proceeding, and instructing him to appear on behalf of Barrett. When Barrett was removed from the rest and placed in cells, the remaining 200 prisoners were informed they would be kept in the South Camp and deprived of all privileges 'until such time as they learned sense and answered their names and numbers.'"

"...Meanwhile, Barrett had been removed to London for Trial, and Mr. Gavan Duffy had been directed to defend him. Barrett had been kept in the guard room for nearly a week, but after he had stated to Philips, on the occasion on which he was picked out, 'I am not the man you want," he refused to speak to anyone only to Commandant Staines; and, of course, Staines was not likely to report what took place between them; so in the end they were forced to send him on to London for trial as an absentee under the Military Service Act! A man who had never been out of Galway in his life until his arrest! In London, of course, it was definitely established that he was not Michael Murphy of that city at all, but a totally different and quite innocent man. Moreover, as he had not represented himself in any way as being Michael Murphy, but on the contrary, had stated that he was not such a person, there was nothing for it but to send him back to the Camp."

From that time on, the British authorities could not identify any Irish prisoner unless that prisoner admitted his identity. There were no more attempts to conscript, or try for evading conscription, any of the internees in Frongoch.

Blue850 wrote: »
    I received some information yesterday that the "wrong man" was my grandfather, Peter Barrett, prisoner number 716, was housed in Number 6 Hut in Frongoch's North Camp..

Perhaps some relations were with him..

Barrett Michael Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Barrett Patrick Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Barrett Peter Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"

Robus wrote: »
    Perhaps some relations were with him..

Barrett Michael Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Barrett Patrick Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Barrett Peter Craughwell and District, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"

Yes, 3 brothers, not the first time they were arrested together.

As part of a general British crack-down on Irish Nationalist agitation and activities, the Volunteers included, the young, 20 year old Peter was arrested and imprisoned. On Christmas Eve 1914, the Barrett house in Scalp was surrounded by British forces and Peter and his brothers Patrick (age 19) and Michael (age 17) were taken into custody and sent to Mountjoy Prison in Dublin. Because of the crack-down and the consequent large numbers of Volunteers and others in custody, the Irish prisons were full, and many were transferred to English prisons, Peter Barrett among them. It is said that he was imprisoned in Wormwood Scrubs prison in London.

Peter and several other Irish prisoners escaped from Wormwood Scrubs prison in 1915. They spent several months carefully scraping brick and cement from the inside of the chimney in their cell, until they had widened it enough for them to climb up and out of it. While they were widening the chimney, they carried the scrapings out of the cell in their pockets and carefully dumped them on the ground during their exercise periods in the yard. After several months work on the chimney, they escaped, found shelter in the home of an Irish woman married to an English man, and were later recaptured and returned to prison. Later in 1915, Peter was released and returned to Craughwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mags04

Would you have any info about a Hugh Gribben in Frognoch. He was on Argenta prison ship and in book about this it is said he was in Frognoch. He was my grandfather. Thanks

mags04 wrote: »
    Would you have any info about a Hugh Gribben in Frognoch. He was on Argenta prison ship and in book about this it is said he was in Frognoch. He was my grandfather. Thanks

You are in luck if this is him.

Gribben Hugh Comdt a Commandant IRA, Down, 1921 ,made a "Witness Statement" number 640 to The "Bureau of Military History"

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0640.pdf#page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mags04

Hi Robus. Thanks for all the info but unfortunately I don't believe this Hugh Gribben is my grandfather. He was born in Co Down but in a village called Rostrevor. He was born on 22/23 Oct 1900. He was definitely on the Argenta prison ship and in other prisons, probably in N Ireland. If you can find any info about him or direct me to any web sites or books I would appreciate it. Thanks Mags04

• Registered Users Posts: 1 topbananna123

Hi Robus

Have very much enjoyed reading the information you have posted, thank you.

I was always told that my grandfather served with Develera at Bolands mill but have so far being unable to find any information or listings to back this up. However my family is in posession of a comrac medal awarded to him in the 50's or 60's but this may have been for service during the civil war. Would you have any listings for him? His name was Henry (or Harry) Synnott and he was from Painestown Co Meath.

Would you also have any information on a person initialed T.O.B who may have been an intern at Frongoch camp in 1916

Many thanks

TB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just a "well done" to all the posters here. Very interesting stuff. Have got stuck into the witness statements from the Military Bureau lately. They give a great insight in to the everyday events of the 1913 to 1921 events. I have learned a lot of the activities of grandfather and granduncle as well as incidents in my own locality

• Advertisement

W.J. Brennan Whitmore's book "With the Irish in Frongoch" has been reprinted, first published in 1917.

Hi Robus

Would you have any listings for him? His name was Henry (or Harry) Synnott and he was from Painestown Co Meath.

Would you also have any information on a person initialed T.O.B who may have been an intern at Frongoch camp in 1916

Many thanks

TB

Sorry , i have no listings of that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maelachey

Hi Robus,

Do you have any information on James "Jim" Healy of Irish Street, Enniscorthy. I know that he was injured retreating from an attack on RIC on the railway line between Edermine and Enniscorthy. He was arrested at the hospital on 6th May 1916 and then taken to Dublin, then Wakefield, then Frongoch. Apparently he was IRB and Volunteer before his internment and then went back to A Coy, I Battallion, North Wexford Brigade. Any information that you have is much appreciated.

James had an older brother John and a younger brother in law, William Rourke of Patrick Street, Enniscorthy. There was also another family, the Redmonds of Carrickduff & Bunclody - specifically Ignatius Redmond who was later killed in 1922 whilst serving in the Free State Army, but who had been IRB/IRA prior to this - any information on him would also be most welcome.

All the best,

Dave

with james i found

Healy James Enniscorthy, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution" Healy James see page 43 of "Who’s Who in the War Of Independence"

pm me with your email for his pension

probably a different John

Healy John Killed In Action, Approximate Alphabetically issued medal number would be ++ Healy John (14) Killed carring messages in Phibsboro. He was the youngest Finna/Volunteer to be killed

no luck with william

Rourke Thomas Was entered on the National Army Census of 12th November 2012 in Carrick on Shannon (Limerick) Aged 22 Rourke William Was entered on the National Army Census of 12th November 2012 in Cavan (Cavan) Aged 22 Rourke William Was entered on the National Army Census of 12th November 2012 in Curragh (Kildare) Aged 23 Rourke William Was entered on the National Army Census of 12th November 2012 in Curragh (Kildare) Aged 23
    no Ignatius but loads of possabe Redmonds , email for list

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maelachey

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll get looking through those documents now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beaker181004

Hi Robus

I hope you are well. Could you kindly check to see if you have any details of the following two people :

Joseph Lee
    Hugh Lee

Hugh was Joseph's son and both were I believe involved with the 4th Battalion E Company (Rathfarnham). I believe that along with 30 others approx they went with Padraig Pearse into Dublin City for the starting of the fighting in 1916. Both were fighting in the GPO.

Thanks in advance. Terry

Advertisement