Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-07-2010, 19:25   #31

buoyancy aids

in kayaking you use what are called buoyancy aids instead of life jackets cause when your moving around so much life jackets are two big and bulky. you can pick up a star flyer buoyancy aid for €35 it has a zip up the front and its nice and cheap for a beginner. you can pay upwards of €200 for buoyancy aids as well but thats a lot if you don't need all the attachment that come with these such as towing systems and all of that.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-08-2010, 16:37   #32
spuddy01

Just recently had the same dilemma myself,went to quite a few stores & picked there brains got some great info from a guy called Graham in a store in tralee & ended up buying a Bic Bilbao sit on top kayak which I have taken out nearly every wkend since getting with my mate who purchased 1 aswell.Just shop around there are deals out there
17-08-2010, 19:48   #33
donadonie

Hi spuddy what was the name of the store in tralee .. im from killarney and would be interested in calling over there

Last edited by donadonie; 17-08-2010 at 19:49. Reason: mis spell
21-08-2010, 16:37   #34
spuddy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by donadonie View Post
Hi spuddy what was the name of the store in tralee .. im from killarney and would be interested in calling over there
Hi donadonie,
The name of the shop is E&D Marine and it's on Abbey Street.
22-08-2010, 09:45   #35
donadonie

thanks spuddy
Advertisement
31-08-2010, 22:07   #36
hydroflyer

getting started

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about getting into kayaking for a while now and think its about time i got some gear. Im interested in mostly messing about in the local rivers and surf when i head West. Im looking for some advice on what sort of kayak would be the best at a low budget, or where i could go to look for second hand gear?
I have a lot of experience when it comes to watersports, and I really would prefer not to join a club. The sea and water is my get away and i dont like the the politics that goes with joining clubs from previous experience with other sports, im sure you can respect that.

I have been looking at pirhana's Daggers and Perception kayaks. Im just not too sure how short or long i should go. I want to do a bit of surfing in it for when there is no wind for kiting and i would also like it long enough so when im doing a bit of distance in the river im not paddling like mad and going backwards

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Hydroflyer
31-08-2010, 22:38   #37

It might be worth your while having a look at this.

http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Z.One
07-09-2010, 13:21   #38
hydroflyer

thanks waterdog,

Thats pretty much what i have been looking for. the colour is perfect too
Just think im going to start off in the secondhand market for my first kayak and when i get sucked in then il fork out on a brand new one
13-04-2011, 16:47   #39
CornsnakeKeeper

Send a message via MSN to CornsnakeKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to CornsnakeKeeper
Hi guys
I have been kayaking once before (in 6th class lol!!) and absolutely loved it! I think it was while on a trip to LIT or something and it was on the Shannon...thats as much as I remember...
Anyways I'm in 5th year now and I'm doing my leaving in June and I really want to get into some new hobbies and living in Galway I think that kayaking would be a pretty cool one to take up.
Just wondering if there are any clubs in the Galway area or if there are any really good websites/forums that teach all the basics as reading through this thread I don't want to go buying something I won't use in 2 years time or something that won't be suitable for where I'll be using it..
I am only just reading up on this today and I have no clue at all about this stuff so any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks!
Advertisement
23-04-2011, 14:16   #40
yer man!

Has anyone on here bought a peak uk creeker spraydeck and are they anygood? I bought one online today on sale for €45 and didn't realise it was creeker.... does this matter? I will be using this deck for both creekers and playboats, it's keyhole size. It doesn't have a dry lip but is suposed to be a tight fit on the boat.
24-04-2011, 01:36   #41
irishlostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer man! View Post
Has anyone on here bought a peak uk creeker spraydeck and are they anygood? I bought one online today on sale for €45 and didn't realise it was creeker.... does this matter? I will be using this deck for both creekers and playboats, it's keyhole size. It doesn't have a dry lip but is suposed to be a tight fit on the boat.
it will be fine for most boats no problem. 45 quid is a good deal on it. well done. spraydecks are pretty flexable (no pun intended) in their use. most cockpits are keyhole size compatable.
13-12-2011, 15:09   #42
dmg10

Advice on Pyranha Fusion?

Hi, been paddling infrequently for years, but never anything too serious. Been thinking recently that last summer, the surf was lacking and I didn't get on the water hardly at all so looking to buy a kayak now but want something suitable for sea and river (although I've no plans to do major whitewater etc). Also looking for something that will be good for search, and water event support etc. I've narrowed it down to this one but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it?

Also, any recommendations on lifevest? Don't want to go cheapy cheapy but something with a pocket in the front that doesn't cost the earth would be good. And how much should you spend on a decent enough paddle?
08-01-2012, 11:51   #43
bobbaggio

Thanks

Whats happening folks, all very useful info, but I was wondering where I could go in the next couple of weeks to Kayak, or at least learn. By the looks of WWKC.net they don't have introduction courses until may?? I may be wrong about this, But I would love to do my training as soon as possible so I can get out there, before I lose interest and it becomes one of those things...."I was going to do one time"
08-01-2012, 19:54   #44
Zuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbaggio View Post
Whats happening folks, all very useful info, but I was wondering where I could go in the next couple of weeks to Kayak, or at least learn. By the looks of WWKC.net they don't have introduction courses until may?? I may be wrong about this, But I would love to do my training as soon as possible so I can get out there, before I lose interest and it becomes one of those things...."I was going to do one time"

Did you see the other thread here?
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...8#post76314108

Might help you find like minded people. Would love to help but the commute to Cork might waste your paddling time.
09-04-2012, 20:09   #45
Annunakicoming

Sea kayaking club north Dublin...newbie paddler enquiring here

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion