Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2010, 23:04   #16
999/112

Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir

This thread is a great idea!

Recently a few mates and myself paddled from Clonmel [Thomas bridge] to Carrick-on-Suir (17 K). Just keep the kayaks pointing in the right direction and go with the flow which had us drifting at 8-9 Km per hour.
Excellent scenery and brilliant weather .
A few kilometres upstream of Carrick we noticed concrete slabs left along the bank of the river ....... On our arrival in Carrick we struck upon a very friendly gentleman who is from the Carrick area and he relayed to us some stories of the river Suir's fishing/navigation and the importance of the river as an infrastructure for the transport of goods/materials, from Clonmel to the open sea at Waterford [visa versa].
The conversation moved to the concrete slabs ...., and to our horror he told us that these slabs were going to be placed across the river, fitted with some equipment, as a means to count fish [Salmon?], but basically preventing any form of navigation on this stretch of inland waterway.
For those of you not familiar with the Suir, there are no locks or weirs etc, between Clonmel & the open sea at Waterford, I'm not sure of the total distance, but this has to be one of the longest stretches of un-interrupted navigable waterways in the country, what a way to destroy a fine resource.

Mod's, I'm not trying to hijack this important thread, so feel free to move this if you desire.

I'm not from the area, so I was doing a bit of research before the trip and found this site http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/aba...ck-to-clonmel/
Advertisement
15-02-2010, 23:39   #17
a/tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999/112 View Post
This thread is a great idea!

Recently a few mates and myself paddled from Clonmel [Thomas bridge] to Carrick-on-Suir (17 K). Just keep the kayaks pointing in the right direction and go with the flow which had us drifting at 8-9 Km per hour.
Excellent scenery and brilliant weather .
A few kilometres upstream of Carrick we noticed concrete slabs left along the bank of the river ....... On our arrival in Carrick we struck upon a very friendly gentleman who is from the Carrick area and he relayed to us some stories of the river Suir's fishing/navigation and the importance of the river as an infrastructure for the transport of goods/materials, from Clonmel to the open sea at Waterford [visa versa].
The conversation moved to the concrete slabs ...., and to our horror he told us that these slabs were going to be placed across the river, fitted with some equipment, as a means to count fish [Salmon?], but basically preventing any form of navigation on this stretch of inland waterway.
For those of you not familiar with the Suir, there are no locks or weirs etc, between Clonmel & the open sea at Waterford, I'm not sure of the total distance, but this has to be one of the longest stretches of un-interrupted navigable waterways in the country, what a way to destroy a fine resource.

Mod's, I'm not trying to hijack this important thread, so feel free to move this if you desire.

I'm not from the area, so I was doing a bit of research before the trip and found this site http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/aba...ck-to-clonmel/

Sounds like a nice paddle alrite. How long did it take you?
15-02-2010, 23:57   #18
999/112

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/tel View Post
Sounds like a nice paddle alrite. How long did it take you?
A little over 1.5 hrs "on the water" but about 2.5 -3 hrs in total to include several stops en-route ...... nice 'n easy!

Then add time for vehicle transfers.
16-02-2010, 21:43   #19

did 10k on the barrow today . . . flat section.
18-02-2010, 15:37   #20

was paddling the nore between inistioge and new ross today ( not the full distance!) It was -4 at the time, and the tide was fully in. As the tide went out, the banks froze, covered in ice where the water had been . . .
Advertisement
19-02-2010, 21:39   #21
irishlostboy

spent the week exploring new rivers. got one first descent in. found one more. also discovered a few sweet rivers that have been paddled but are not well known. will post up info as and when we have all the juicy bits fully exploited. for now, here is a pic. low water. blurry as it was late having spent the day cutting the river out of the tree infestation.

this is the small slide. there is a much bigger one upstream.
Thanks from:
21-02-2010, 21:14   #22
ec18

Send a message via MSN to ec18
clashganny run on the barrow
21-02-2010, 21:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec18 View Post
clashganny run on the barrow
is it very low there at the moment???
27-02-2010, 21:26   #24

first marathon race of the season today, river finn in donegal, 11km.
Advertisement
28-02-2010, 09:41   #25
ec18

it's not too bad, it's not scrape-y at all....can see the wall at the first weir though
Thanks from:
03-03-2010, 21:30   #26
ec18

had a quick run down clash last sunday, was nice about the same level as the week before.

Paddling Graig to St.Mullins this weekend, should be fun
06-03-2010, 17:13   #27
Tobias Greeshman

Send a message via AIM to Tobias Greeshman
Paddled the jacksons section on the avonmore today, very low although jacksons was running. Nice to be back on the avonmore all the same.
06-03-2010, 20:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec18 View Post
had a quick run down clash last sunday, was nice about the same level as the week before.

Paddling Graig to St.Mullins this weekend, should be fun
clash was low today . . .how did graig to st. mullins go???
07-03-2010, 19:06   #29
ec18

was alright a little low and hit a few rocks but otherwise i enjoyed the run......next time think i'll bring more than a playboat. Those falt bits are a killer
Thanks from:
08-03-2010, 21:51   #30
rooney32

paddled the dereen today from rathglass bridge (between tullow and ardattin) to aghade bridge. level was low and water was freezing but its a nice run.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion