Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mountbatten wanted United Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Go into a pub anytime England are playing a soccer or rugby match and see how many Irish people are screaming for the opposition - no matter who they are.

If those same people haven't the balls to have the courage of the convictions and celebrate IRA bombings, the 7/7/05 attacks etc, well then they're hypocrites.

Have seen it a few times in my local, one idiot in particular. He’s a Liverpool fan, adores “Stevie G” as he always refers to him. When England is playing he spends the entire game shouting abuse at him. Most of us are just amused by him as he is not the sharpest tool in the box. But that type of carry on is fairly prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Go into a pub anytime England are playing a soccer or rugby match and see how many Irish people are screaming for the opposition - no matter who they are.

If those same people haven't the balls to have the courage of the convictions and celebrate IRA bombings, the 7/7/05 attacks etc, well then they're hypocrites.

Yeh, we're going to cheer for the country that has f*cked us over for 800 years, killed countless amounts of our citizens, robbed our land, divided our nation, and still up to their dirty tricks in this country today. Get a grip!

Because people don't cheer for England, they should support the 7/7/05 attack. Thats some leap. :D I guess we are country of hypocrites then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Yeh, we're going to cheer for the country that has f*cked us over for 800 years, killed countless amounts of our citizens, robbed our land, divided our nation, and still up to their dirty tricks in this country today. Get a grip!

Because people don't cheer for England, they should support the 7/7/05 attack. Thats some leap. :D I guess we are country of hypocrites then.

I never suggested cheering for England.
    If you hate them so much then celebrating 7/7/05, Kings Cross tube station fire, McCann disappearance, Paddington rail disaster, death of English tourists in South African bus crash etc should come naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

How some people can get so worked up and melodramatic about the death of 2 children by the IRA and yet can ignore the deaths of thousands of children in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There's always a bit of rivalry when it comes to sporting events, but as you say no one should equate wanting the other team to win with supporting terrorist acts against the UK.

But for us "plastic paddies" born in England, when the England V Ireland match is on, at least we can be happy whatever the resault! ;)

• Advertisement

McArmalite wrote: »
    How some people can get so worked up about the death of 2 children by the IRA and yet can ignore the deaths of thousands of children in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    This thread is about Mountbatten not the current Middle East conflict!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Surely a main principle of republicanism should be to celebrate all British deaths, not just the ones that suit us?

Thats pretty weak and I think you know it.
    If you hate them so much then celebrating 7/7/05, Kings Cross tube station fire, McCann disappearance, Paddington rail disaster, death of English tourists in South African bus crash etc should come naturally.
    I don't know of anyone that ''hates english people''. You're the first person here to suggest it. Anyone who ''hates english people'' are totally narrowminded and childish.
    You along with a couple of others have this distorted view that the IRA just targetted anything and everything british, including it's civilian population.

And it's not about football matches either is it?

And it's not about football matches either is it?

That's true, but the response was referring to the comments relating to the general attitude exhibited by many Irish people towards English sporting teams when playing international games.

This thread had drifted from the original subject anyway!

It will soon be 30 years since he was murdered and it will be interesting to see if any documents are released from the national archives that will throw more light on this subject.

It will soon be 30 years since he was murdered and it will be interesting to see if any documents are released from the national archives that will throw more light on this subject.

Indeed. I doubt there will be much more to be exposed however.

You along with a couple of others have this distorted view that the IRA just targetted anything and everything british, including it's civilian population.

The list is too long to reproduce. http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/troubles/major_killings.html

This list also includes those killed by others as well (including the British army)

• Advertisement

Can you be a little more specific please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Oh please STFU!!!!You are the type person who is trying to hold back progress in NI.It is in the past,get over it!Move on!Everybody else either has or wants to move on...so please join them.I bet you are RSF,huh?

PEACE IN THE NORTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

Oh please STFU!!!!You are the type person who is trying to hold back progress in NI.It is in the past,get over it!Move on!Everybody else either has or wants to move on...so please join them.I bet you are RSF,huh?

As much as I don't care about football or any other international sport, as I believe it should be totally serperated from politics, I still believe the poster has a point there.
    Yes peace is important, top priority, however, you cannot brush under the carpet the facts, you can't have a future without a past. As for dirty tricks today, I believe that analysis is correct, so how can you ''STFU and get over it'' if it's still going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

How some people can get so worked up and melodramatic about the death of 2 children by the IRA and yet can ignore the deaths of thousands of children in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So, because the Americans and British have killed lots of children in Iraq then it's wrong to remind us that the IRA killed children (and a lot more than 2 of them, I might add)?

All killing of children is wrong, but as an Irishman I find it particularly repugnant that the IRA killed children in the name of my country. But, since the British have killed more children, then I guess I shouldn't be bothered about it? Hey, give me enough time and I might even become proud of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

so how can you ''STFU and get over it'' if it's still going on?

And what dirty tricks do you speak of?

Can you be a little more specific please.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54761716&postcount=41
    Read the list! In particular the entries with the words "IRA" & Civilian" in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You have already said that Mountbatten's death was justifiable and the death of the two children was unfortunate and regrettable, so who the hell are you to start getting all moralistic. I suppose Saddam was a nice guy right?

And please explain what the hell Britain are doing in Afghanistan that is so abhorrant to you. Ten years ago I was receiving junk emails demanding that the west intervene in Afghanistan to prevent to terrible human rights attrocities being carried out by the Taliban. Now that they have, we have people like you complaining about it. The situation, I believe is under a UN mandate which is being actioned by Britain, France, the US, Australia, Turkey.....

As PDN said, any death of civilians, especially children is tragic. Surely any organisation willing to sacrifice innocent children to further their own borders is no better than the imperialist nations they claim to deplore.

Maybe you should take the chip off your shoulder and start looking at things in a more balanced fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

eroo wrote: »

Charming! Everything i said in my post is the truth. You can live in denial, hurl abuse at whoever you like, but the facts remain.

As for peace in the North, I honestly don't think there will be so long there is an artifical border in place. The Police force have shown time and again that they cant be trusted, and even with all the agreements haven taken place the 6 counties is just as divided and sectarian as ever before. The British Army setting up their mi5 'James Bond centre' in County Down just furthers the mistrust amongst the people, especially when they're not accountable to anyone!

TRUST AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN THE NORTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

TRUST AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN THE NORTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

True, but surely that leads to peace.

jahalpin wrote: »
    They were mostly young soldiers in what was efectively a war zone, they would have been scared and when faced with an angry mod reacted the way most poeple in their situation would have

Thank you for your comments regarding Bloody Sunday, you have just oroved what a vicious, secterian, supremacist mob you unionists are. No hope you'd f**k off back to the Outer Hebrides or whatever rock you crawled out from under ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Thank you for your comments regarding Bloody Sunday, you have just oroved what a vicious, secterian, supremacist mob you unionists are. No hope you'd f**k off back to the Outer Hebrides or whatever rock you crawled out from under ?

Why would I want to go there? I'm Irish, Catholic and from Dublin and have always lived in Dublin, except from when I went to Uni. in London.

You obviously take the view that anything that the "Republicans" do is right and for the good of the country and everything that everyone else does is wrong.

The "Republican" movement are the most sectarian mob ever, they believe that it is their god-given right to slag and intimdate people due to their religion.

The IRA have more than cancelled out any entitlement they may have had to be bitter over Bloody Sunday with their almost 30 year reign of terror throghout the British Isles.

Oh my Gawd, the backlash of the brits :eek: :) Partly right, it's about Mountbatten's alleged view on a United Ireland, and not his death. The subject of his death was not introduced by me. But anyway, it's part of any discussion for someone to mention incidental information or make a comparision Einstein.
    PDN wrote: »
    So, because the Americans and British have killed lots of children in Iraq then it's wrong to remind us that the IRA killed children (and a lot more than 2 of them, I might add)?

All killing of children is wrong, but as an Irishman I find it particularly repugnant that the IRA killed children in the name of my country. But, since the British have killed more children, then I guess I shouldn't be bothered about it? Hey, give me enough time and I might even become proud of it!

Never said implied it was wrong to remind anyone that the IRA killed children or since the British have killed more children, then I guess I shouldn't be bothered about it? But what gets me is the hypocrisy ofthe great Irish 'peace' cliche " I find it particularly repugnant that the IRA killed children in the name of my country ". Just like the type of hypocrisy in 1984 - All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

So how how repugnant it is for you is not how many are killed, but who does the killing ? Even though the other side may kill in a ratio of say, 100 to 1, it still is more repugnant the crowd who do 1 killing ??

Why would I want to go there? I'm Irish, Catholic and from Dublin and have always lived in Dublin, except from when I went to Uni. in London.

You obviously take the view that anything that the "Republicans" do is right and for the good of the country and everything that everyone else does is wrong.

The "Republican" movement are the most sectarian mob ever, they believe that it is their god-given right to slag and intimdate people due to their religion.

The IRA have more than cancelled out any entitlement they may have had to be bitter over Bloody Sunday with their almost 30 year reign of terror throghout the British Isles.

And this is the fella who posted back on the 11-11-2007 on After Hours > Rememberance Poppy
    A lot of people on this forum seem to have problems seperating religion from loyalty and respect.

The poppy is a symbol of people's respect for people who gave their lives in defence of our way of life, if it wasn't for these brave people the world would be a very different place, and not in a good way. For a start we wouldn't have a democracy and we would be under the direct control of the German Kaiser.

I was at a Royal British Legion fundraiser in Belfast last year and the people there were genuinely passionate about making the lives of those injured and their families better and more dignified.

What a MEGA IDIOT :D:D. Definetly a Fred Fratton fellow brit trying to troll. Maybe it's time for me to get the Republican cavalry I think as Fred cann't destroy any critical discussion of britian but enlisted his brit friends to help him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If you think the Irish republican movement were 'the most sectarian' you are either re-defining the word sectarian (so it no longer refers to hating a person on the basis of their religon alone) or your ignoring the fact that many revered republicans were protestant (wolfe tone whose graveside hosts an annual republican ceremony would be one that springs to mind).

Try naming key loyalist heroes who are catholic. Or try denying the fact that catholics were routinely targetted for being catholic during the troubles at the hands of the uvf/uff etc. Google lenny murphy and the shankhill butchers if you want some detail on what this boiled down to.

The stated intent of the uvf was to kill catholics plain and simple and that was in order to put community pressure on the IRA to cease their campaign against the british forces.

From the republican side their goal was never sectarian - in 30 years of the recent troubles there was one exception to this where the ira killed a busload of protestant workers (kingsmills) in reprisal - other than that their activity was not strictly sectarian in motivation. It was motivated against the 'forces of the crown' - whether this was a bill collector, census taker, tv licence inspector or british army patrols or bases across europe.

You could argue that this disparity was because the IRA/INLA had intelligence on udr, ruc and loyalist paramilitary units based on generations of guerrilla war experience - whereas the loyalist paramilitaries never had an official target or the intelligence network to tell them who was who - but the reasons are beside the point. The point is the loyalist paramilitaries were purely sectarian and the republicans for the most part were not.

And this is the fella who posted back on the 11-11-2007 on After Hours > Rememberance Poppy

What a MEGA IDIOT :D:D. Definetly a Fred Fratton fellow brit trying to troll. Maybe it's time for me to get the Republican cavalry I think as Fred cann't destroy any critical discussion of britian but enlisted his brit friends to help him ?

Personal insults, are you getting a bit desperate? What's next, are you and your friends going to come over to my house and knee-cap me for expressing an opinion?

Wearing the Poppy to show support for the brave soldiers who died in the World Wars to protect our way of life is totally separate from my opinion that the IRA and their supporters are scum (a general insult rather than a personal attack).

Your idea of a critical discussion of Britain obviously involves someone expressing their opinion that Britain and the British are the enemy and that they are always wrong and that anyone that disagrees with this narrow-minded viewpoint are wrong.

As I mentioned before, I am an Irish Catholic who has lived in Dublin for almost my entire life and have attended a Catholic school, and my opinion of the British and their contribution to life in Ireland and indeed, around the world, is based on my observations and analysis of the British way of life and the legacy that they left us (law, education , infrastructure etc.)

What is generally forgotten is that the UK offered employment and a way out of poverty for millions of Irish people when they were under no legal obligation to do so (I am well aware that certain sections of the British people were anti-Irish etc..)

Morlar wrote: »
    The point is the loyalist paramilitaries were purely sectarian and the republicans for the most part were not.
    Ironic thing is, that's was the main reason for the British army going in in the first place to protect the catholics from attack, then it went wrong! If the Army had been able to stay independant of the Unionist government they may have retained the respect they gained when they first arrived. I'm sure McA will add a thousand words or so to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

... the British Isles....
    The what?? :confused: There is no such geo-political entity. Where ARE these "British Isles?" Do you mean the islands of Great Britain, Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebrides, Anglesea, Isle of Wight, etc, etc:confused::confused: Must be that, I suppose. After all, no intelligent person could have failed to notice that Ireland is no longer a British Island. although there are some who would like it to be so:rolleyes:

The what?? :confused: There is no such geo-political entity. Where ARE these "British Isles?" Do you mean the islands of Great Britain, Shetlands, Orkneys, Hebrides, Anglesea, Isle of Wight, etc, etc:confused::confused: Must be that, I suppose. After all, no intelligent person could have failed to notice that Ireland is no longer a British Island. although there are some who would like it to be so:rolleyes:

Strange, according to most reputable encyclopaedias and atlases the British Isles consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and a number of smaller islands.

In much the same way that the city of Londonderry is often, incorrectly, referred to as Derry!!!!!!! However the county is also incorrectly referred to as County Londonderry, where in fact, it is County Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

Wearing the Poppy to show support for the brave soldiers who died in the World Wars to protect our way of life is totally separate from my opinion that the IRA and their supporters are scum (a general insult rather than a personal attack).QUOTE]

So what your saying is its ok to wear something to show support for soldiers who have died to protect ''our way of life'' 60 or 70 years ago but its not ok to show support to an organisation only set up for the fact that their country was invaded by a foreign power, and in reason times (70;s + 80's) where trying to protect catholic ''way of life'' from murderous mobs burning people out of their own houses. hypo.... ?

todays Ira is a totally different group of people (criminal thugs plain and simple) and have done alot torwards ruining what the name stood for and represented over the troubled times. they need to do what they did back then and thankfully are not needed anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Strange, according to most reputable encyclopaedias and atlases the British Isles consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and a number of smaller islands.

In much the same way that the city of Londonderry is often, incorrectly, referred to as Derry!!!!!!! However the county is also incorrectly referred to as County Londonderry, where in fact, it is County Derry

Your definition of the British Isles is correct. It does not imply that the Republic of Ireland is British in *any* way. Similarly, the name "Irish Sea" doesn't imply that all of it is Irish territorial waters.

Calling Londonderry "Derry" is not incorrect.

But it should be pointed out, whilst the official name of the county is "County Londonderry", it was previously known as "County Coleraine". But of course it is commonly called "County Derry".

All of this doesn't, however, affect what people call things. I can understand that "British Isles" might not be a popular term for some people.

Advertisement