Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What do you think should be done for midterms
One week closure 111 26.18%
One week closure, one week online learning 68 16.04%
Two week closure 210 49.53%
Other 35 8.25%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

26-10-2020, 19:42   #2476
irishblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacruairi View Post
Same for us in school. You're very very hesitant to move on, but you can't skid the wheels for 2 weeks either. Then you post the homework home and say submit it online but that's not teaching, and nor should it be. And then Josepha Madigan has the gaul to say her side of things everything is fine? I support parents 1000% in their frustrations here and they are shared by staff and students alike. Unfortunately they won't listen to us without strike action so the parents council really need to be heard here.
What IS the National Parents Council doing? Anything? Parents Associations pay them each year for membership well this year we need some hard stances taken and advocacy - this is not the year for only workshops/and webinars. Anyone know if they're active for parents in all this? I haven't heard anything.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 23:02   #2477
Jinglejangle69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeeod View Post
I've just been through the whole Convid case in a school thing. In this example my daughter is in 1st year PP. I received a text message last Thursday evening confirming a case in my daughters class and to await further instructions. The class was to stay home on Friday. I was under the impression that teachers and students weren't considered close contacts within the classroom setting, despite not being comfortable with that. On Friday morning a HSE letter appeared on the schools's website reporting the case and said that all close contacts had been identified and informed. A sigh of relief for me, but still doubt. Two hours later I received an email from the HSE that said my daughter was a close contact and required a test and a list of instructions including staying out of school for 14 days.

Saturday afternoon, another text confirming a test at our local centre on Sunday. Test done and result back this morning (Monday). Negative, thankfully. So it was fairly quick in the scheme of things. But obviously my daughter still has to restrict her movements for another 9 days in accordance with public health. The mid term break takes up much of it. However if you take the mid term out of things thats two weeks out of school. If this happens again its another two weeks out of school and maybe more if she tests positive and passes it on to her parents. Even with a negative result, the two weeks out of school is disruptive with no plan in place from the school. While some people go on about education being important, rolling stay out of school policies once a confirmed case happens, is also disruptive if it happens every so often, not to mention the stress that it puts on a child and their household. I don't know how public health teams are approaching PP schools anymore. Some counties HSE letters name the school, some don't. Are kids in a class with a confirmed case considered close contacts. Back in August we were told they weren't. My particular household really doesn't want to go through the last 5 days again.

So I'm back to my mantra from August. One week in class and one week learning at home with homework thats checked on the week back in school. That guarantees two metre distancing and less kids in the school on any given week. All that said my daughter tested negative and I should be supportive of the school system, but I just think we dodged a bullet.
So the school isn't supporting you like they should if your child has to miss school?
26-10-2020, 23:24   #2478
Icyseanfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglejangle69 View Post
So the school isn't supporting you like they should if your child has to miss school?
Schools have been actively told by the department not to support children learning from home
26-10-2020, 23:49   #2479
blanch152

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
So Sinn Féin have not said close schools, that's been established

What are FF and FG (The Mafia in charge) going to do to make schools safer for all staff, teachers and students?

Not say we will get more teachers, there is none. They could try the return home for Ireland needs you campaign. Worked well last time, Health Care staff was increased so enable us meet the demand due to Covid, Oh wait
So Sinn Fein are in favour of closing schools in the North but against it in the South?

Is that because

(1) they accept that the performance of the SF/DUP government has been worse than the FF/FG/Green government in controlling the virus?
(2) they don’t know their arse from their elbow?
(3) they are a lying bunch of hypocrites?
(4) all of the above?

Answers on a postcard to West Belfast.

Hint: SFOS may have the answer.
27-10-2020, 00:11   #2480
wirelessdude01

Quote:
You do know it is midterm so schools are out at the moment anyway?

The poster in question cannot say with any certainty that the school doesn't have a place. They can only say that with any degree of certainty next Monday if they haven't been made aware of said plan.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 00:15   #2481
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyseanfitz View Post
Schools have been actively told by the department not to support children learning from home
Just to correct you. In this instance the child would need to be supported by the school for a few days next week.

The no support thing comes into play when the parents and/or child decide not to attend for non-covid reasons. I'm aware of a child that didn't attend for 6 weeks due to being 'anxious' and the school received guidance fro the department that they were not to provide any work and/or support.
27-10-2020, 00:18   #2482
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblessing View Post
What IS the National Parents Council doing? Anything? Parents Associations pay them each year for membership well this year we need some hard stances taken and advocacy - this is not the year for only workshops/and webinars. Anyone know if they're active for parents in all this? I haven't heard anything.
You can be sure that Aine Lynch will turn up in the media this week spouting some rubbish that is total fence sitting. She rarely actually has an opinion or indeed puts forward a solution.
(3) thanks from:
27-10-2020, 00:25   #2483
Icyseanfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessdude01 View Post
Just to correct you. In this instance the child would need to be supported by the school for a few days next week.

The no support thing comes into play when the parents and/or child decide not to attend for non-covid reasons. I'm aware of a child that didn't attend for 6 weeks due to being 'anxious' and the school received guidance fro the department that they were not to provide any work and/or support.
Id assume this also applies if there's a covid case and parents pull the child out because they may believe the child was a close contact? (same class etc.)
27-10-2020, 00:56   #2484
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Id assume this also applies if there's a covid case and parents pull the child out because they may believe the child was a close contact? (same class etc.)
if the child is considered a close contact and has to have day 0 and day 7 tests then they are to be supported. Close contact as decided by the HSE under the current setup

As you know if parents pull the child then no support.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-10-2020, 01:07   #2485
BonsaiKitten

Quote:
What 'support' should they be expecting right now exactly? Given that it is midterm break.
27-10-2020, 01:18   #2486
Zico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
Whats the difference between putting 30 people in a room in a school and in a factory or as pub?

Only thing I can think of is that the school room is a smaller area by a huge margin.
These are the best people.
27-10-2020, 07:42   #2487
DSN

Quote:
In my son's school (secondary) close contacts of case awaiting tests n restricting movements had to log into classes daily & do work going on in class & any scheduled tests last week so this isn't true in our case. Some teachers better than others at it but good support given all they have to contend with right now.
27-10-2020, 08:55   #2488
khalessi

So the Department received a letter in August about the hand sanitiser

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/...ter-in-august/
27-10-2020, 08:57   #2489
Icyseanfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN View Post
In my son's school (secondary) close contacts of case awaiting tests n restricting movements had to log into classes daily & do work going on in class & any scheduled tests last week so this isn't true in our case. Some teachers better than others at it but good support given all they have to contend with right now.
To be fair my post was lacking in detail, of course we are all trying to help any student that is trying to work from home, we are using teams in my school. I was more referring to the likes of tarbert that was ordered to reopen and basically told that any student working from home who wasn't highlighted by the HSE was expressly not to receive any support from school. Disgraceful stuff really, we should be encouraging students to work from home if they can in my opinion.
(3) thanks from:
27-10-2020, 10:47   #2490
wirelessdude01

Claire Byrne show talking about ventilation.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion