Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

dazzday wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/subscribe/student/

Little perk for doing springboard - 1 year free access to Irish times

Ironic that the springboard courses run by the irish times are not eligible haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

dazzday wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/subscribe/student/

Little perk for doing springboard - 1 year free access to Irish times

are these courses part time or full time? i paid for a part time degree course but i cannot activate the free irish times sub - they do say for full time only but it is no where in their tcs and cs

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭flipflophead22

These ones seem to be added recently? Similar to the springboard i wonder?

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/government-additional-college-places-stimulus-jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

These ones seem to be added recently? Similar to the springboard i wonder?

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/government-additional-college-places-stimulus-jobs

The newly available courses are listed here: https://hea.ie/skills-engagement/july-stimulus-he-initiative-places-announced/.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ella108

Hi, not entirely off topic, but how many springboard courses can you take? Can you do a year course one year and then go for another, next year and so on? What is the limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Kamu

Ella108 wrote: »
    Hi, not entirely off topic, but how many springboard courses can you take? Can you do a year course one year and then go for another, next year and so on? What is the limit?

3 Courses over a 5 Year period.
    https://springboardcourses.ie/pdfs/Guidelines%20on%20applications%20from%20previous%20Springboard%20participants%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I'm doing a course in IT Sligo, started in September. When do they require payment for the course (10%)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

I'm doing a course in IT Sligo, started in September. When do they require payment for the course (10%)?

In DCU we had to pay up prior to it commencing as we would not have gained access to the course materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Did you guys have to upload proof (in the last couple of weeks) that you were working or unemployed or other status at the time the course started? I had done in application and now done again, it just says "First registered" not sure if my proof has been accpted yet...(I started the job about a week after the course started so not sure how strict they are)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I had to reregister on Springboard and upload a payslip. Also I completely forgot about paying the 10% so I'll do that tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Did you guys have to upload proof (in the last couple of weeks) that you were working or unemployed or other status at the time the course started? I had done in application and now done again, it just says "First registered" not sure if my proof has been accpted yet...(I started the job about a week after the course started so not sure how strict they are)

My status changed to first registered and I haven't heard anything since, that was about 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Same as but in the other direction, I was employed at the time of application/acceptance but left my employment after, the admin of my college course said to include details of DEASP payment. I'm still down as first registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Had to reregister with 2 days notice. If you missed it then tough.

Now have to do a mandatory module with first assignment due Friday.

They couldn't tell use about this module at the beginning!

On top of being forced into a course that wasn't remotely my first choice cuz they didn't didn't bother getting back to my request to extend deadline so I could wait for my other choices to even look at my application. Which in the end was a month later.

Fooking shambles of an outfit.

Was their any stock broker type/financial courses on it?

Any body do anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

FFVII wrote: »
    Was their any stock broker type/financial courses on it?

Any body do anything like that?

Haven’t done any of these courses but got an email today from the Institute of Bankers offering springboard funded courses. Might be of interest.

https://iob.ie/areas/funded-skills

Your best bet is to check the springboard website

Haven’t done any of these courses but got an email today from the Institute of Bankers offering springboard funded courses. Might be of interest.

https://iob.ie/areas/funded-skills
    Hi, thanks for this. I don't see these on the springboard site at all.

I wonder is this any good?

International Investment Fund Services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There's a fin tech course in TUD

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Has anyone found out if those of us taking springboard courses are eligible for the €250 student payment that was announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Horusire wrote: »
    Has anyone found out if those of us taking springboard courses are eligible for the €250 student payment that was announced?

Hahaha, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Hahaha, no.

What makes you think no? Ive been in touch with the college and even they aren't sure. My course is full time so It would seem that we might be eligible? Have you asked your course coordinator maybe they know more then mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Might be of interest to people looking at Springboard.

https://www.ul.ie/gps/funded-programmes-government-stimulus-package

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭go4it

from what i understood, the july stimulus advantage over springboard/HCI is that recent graduates could sign-up to it ( springboard was for unemployed or for re/upskill only )
    The disadvantage - it's worth only 30 credits , and you need 60 for a full academic year ( lot's of people don't fully comprehend how credits accumulation/ academic progression works)
    Got a friend who signed up in july for a pharma course , but since the demand was too high , only made it for a January 21 start (some colleges have a jan-aug academic year )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I'm enrolled but not registered on a springboard course that I know I won't be able to do, so can I bail at this point with no repercussions ??

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I'm enrolled but not registered on a springboard course that I know I won't be able to do, so can I bail at this point with no repercussions ??

When was/is it due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

This is it wrote: »
    When was/is it due to start?

3 and a half weeks ago I told them I didn’t want to do it , it started this week

Dundalk, Co. Louth

3 and a half weeks ago I told them I didn’t want to do it , it started this week

Ah, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you told them you weren't taking it up and you didn't finalise the registration through springboard then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

How are people getting on? Have those with demanding courses made it this far? I'm getting their it but a lot of time at Christmas spent with assignments. Really looking forward to finishing to be honest, but it was the year to do it with not much else going on. Will appreciate my free evenings and weekends with no assigments a lot more from May!

How are people getting on? Have those with demanding courses made it this far? I'm getting their it but a lot of time at Christmas spent with assignments. Really looking forward to finishing to be honest, but it was the year to do it with not much else going on. Will appreciate my free evenings and weekends with no assigments a lot more from May!

Struggling with work and assignments but we're half way through now, won't see the end coming round. Same as you I'm looking forward to it ending but a good experience and learning plenty.

Found myself looking at more courses for September but I might leave it until next year, could do with a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I'm enjoying my course overall but it is somewhat more demanding than I was expecting. Juggling the course, my job and other commitments has been challenging.

Advertisement