Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-10-2020, 10:48   #691
spurious
Category Moderator

FamilyTreeDNA (tested 2016) - total matches 4585
My Russian partner who tested in 2017 has only 1347 matches, but then, very few 'Russian Russians' have tested.

I tested with FTDNA though, rather than uploading from elsewhere. The only other place I have uploaded is GEDMatch.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-10-2020, 10:56   #692
montgo

FTDNA - I uploaded my results about 5 years ago and I have over 5,000 matches with 50 or so in the last 2 months.
Thanks from:
14-10-2020, 13:02   #693
BottleOfSmoke

Thank you, Spurious and Montgo. You've encouraged me to send a support request to FTDNA querying whether my results are in good order.
14-10-2020, 13:10   #694
amadangomor

Have one match on my heritage that is from Sweden, very unusual as all other foreign matches are from countries Irish people emigrated to - UK, US, Aus, NZ.

Any one want to hazard a guess as to how this happened? Was thinking a relation that hooked up with a Swedish person in the states and moved back there

I assume any matches from here would be too far back?

From wiki "At the beginning of the seventeenth century about 6,000 men were shipped out of Ulster for the security of the plantation and sent to Sweden"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_military_diaspora
14-10-2020, 13:20   #695
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadangomor View Post
Have one match on my heritage that is from Sweden, very unusual as all other foreign matches are from countries Irish people emigrated to - UK, US, Aus, NZ.

Any one want to hazard a guess as to how this happened? Was thinking a relation that hooked up with a Swedish person in the states and moved back there

I assume any matches from here would be too far back?

From wiki "At the beginning of the seventeenth century about 6,000 men were shipped out of Ulster for the security of the plantation and sent to Sweden"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_military_diaspora
You should get a clue from the centimorgans or percentage of DNA you share?

I mean, if its in the range of second cousin then you can rule out the more historic possibilities.

If it is down in the weeds of 8 cM, then you're talking many more generations back. It could also be a false positive (the lower the cM, the more likely to share by chance).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-10-2020, 14:16   #696
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke View Post
If it is down in the weeds of 8 cM
Immediately adopts phrase.
(3) thanks from:
14-10-2020, 18:01   #697
paddysdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke View Post
I uploaded my Ancestry results to FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) a few years ago. This thread reminded me to go back and take a look.

I have under two hundred DNA matches there. That seems really low. I know that Ancestry is the biggest company, but I even have several thousand on MyHeritage.

Would be interested if anyone else here could give their total there?

I'm actually wondering if I uploaded too long ago, and need to do it again.
Done my test with Ancestry about 3/4 years ago I think.
Have 455 4th cousin or closer matches on Ancestry
18977 distant matches which is down to 7cm I think.
Big variance in DNA amounts shared with known 3rd/4th cousins even from same general family side.

Have 452 matches in total on FTDNA from 290 cM down to 13cM.Very few with any detail in trees and nothing new re. DNA relatives I could make any even possible connection to my tree.Very sparse info and very few replies to emails.Not subscribed so perhaps its better when you have access to all the tools or do a test with them.

Have 8492 on My Heritage with about 300/400 25cM or more which is a bit optimistic going by Ancestry result and looking at a few known relatives on it.Not subscribed either.

Have 3307matches on Gedmatch with approx. 20cM plus shared . Again trees are hit and miss.Awful lot of very distant matches.

My living DNA have 370 matches from 107 cM down to 9cM.Again just uploaded Ancestry test and not subscribed.No trees etc and message system a bit odd.

Find that some names appear over and over esp. those annoyingly elusive ones that seem to have no connection going by attached trees.

Find the shared match facility very useful on every site which at least allows you to narrow a match down to one or two different sides although in one parents case that can be a waste of time with the amount of inter generational marriage and being related to people 2/3/4 different ways.
14-10-2020, 19:06   #698
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddysdream View Post
Done my test with Ancestry about 3/4 years ago I think.
Have 455 4th cousin or closer matches on Ancestry
18977 distant matches which is down to 7cm I think.
Big variance in DNA amounts shared with known 3rd/4th cousins even from same general family side.

Have 452 matches in total on FTDNA from 290 cM down to 13cM.Very few with any detail in trees and nothing new re. DNA relatives I could make any even possible connection to my tree.Very sparse info and very few replies to emails.Not subscribed so perhaps its better when you have access to all the tools or do a test with them.

Have 8492 on My Heritage with about 300/400 25cM or more which is a bit optimistic going by Ancestry result and looking at a few known relatives on it.Not subscribed either.

Have 3307matches on Gedmatch with approx. 20cM plus shared . Again trees are hit and miss.Awful lot of very distant matches.

My living DNA have 370 matches from 107 cM down to 9cM.Again just uploaded Ancestry test and not subscribed.No trees etc and message system a bit odd.

Find that some names appear over and over esp. those annoyingly elusive ones that seem to have no connection going by attached trees.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Your low-ish number for FamilyTreeDNA makes me think my paltry number is probably not a glitch in their system!

By the way - Ancestry matches go down to 8 cM now - they raised the threshold in August.

And LivingDNA have a "coming soon" message about having family trees on the site. Arriving in 2021, apparently. They have some relationship with the FindMyPast website, so it may be useful.
14-10-2020, 19:15   #699
srmf5

My mum's upload has 638 matches while my great aunt's upload has 3939 matches. My mum has no 5th cousin to remote matches while my great aunt does have 5th cousin to remote cousin matches. FTDNA gave me two possibilities for the large difference when I contacted them.

Quote:
Depending on the version of the AncestryDNA file that was transferred for each person's results, the transfer results may or may not show more speculative Matches (5th to remote cousins). For example, I believe Ancestry's V2 version of their data results, when transferred to us, will not show any of these much more distant matches, as it is somewhat less compatible with our system so we leave those out. So, if someone transfers their V2 data to us, they will likely get much fewer matches than if they transfer a different version.
The second reason which applied to me:
Quote:
These 2 kits, they were transferred about a year apart (March 22, 2018 and May 22, 2019). Within that time period, we at FamilyTreeDNA changed the way we interpret transferred data from AncestryDNA (even if they're both V2) once we upgraded to the new chip.

We started a process called imputation, which allows us to now give more speculative Matches (beyond 5th cousins) we weren't able to previously do. This explains the match differences between the 2 kits.

More info on imputation is explained here: https://dna-explained.com/2017/09/05...ts-imputation/
I could delete my mum's results and re-upload them but I didn't bother because the extra matches likely wouldn't be useful.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion