Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2020, 23:05   #1
ec_swimmer

Transport Options?

May be asking for the impossible here, but I'll give it a go. I'm exploring options for getting 5 of us on the water: 2 adults, 3 kids (12/10/8). I like the idea of having a van that can safely seat 5 of us, and possibly transport (and store) 5 boats inside.

Aside from custom jobs, or buying an actual small bus, is anyone aware of viable options for this? I think that we would manage with sub-3m boats, but I'm not sure what vans on the road have this type of payload.

Thoughts appreciated. Hopefully this isn't entirely a fool's errand!
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 17:52   #2
WildWater

Not sure how you would manage that to be honest. A van with crew seats won't have a lot of space in the rear. Maybe fine for short play boats but I'd doubt you'd get river runners or decent SoTs in there. Then even if you find a van it's going to be a commercial. How do you get around that?

My suggestion would be a Land Rover Defender with a dogs bo**ox roof rack.

Something like this, if you could stomach €1k annually in motor tax.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...ounty/24016005
29-06-2020, 17:58   #3
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWater View Post
Not sure how you would manage that to be honest. A van with crew seats won't have a lot of space in the rear. Maybe fine for short play boats but I'd doubt you'd get river runners or decent SoTs in there. Then even if you find a van it's going to be a commercial. How do you get around that?

My suggestion would be a Land Rover Defender with a dogs bo**ox roof rack.

Something like this, if you could stomach €1k annually in motor tax.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...ounty/24016005
Defender's are horrible yokes to drive.

Could you get a trailer made up? Would be easy to keep light if only being use for kayak/canoe and you get to keep the car for the rest of the time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion