Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-10-2017, 16:18   #1336
Manach

Russia?
Advertisement
30-10-2017, 18:04   #1337
feargale

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsman07 View Post
Germany after WW2?
Strictly speaking you may be correct (if not Austria) but not what I'm looking for. If you don't mind I've slightly reworded the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
Russia?
No.
31-10-2017, 01:15   #1338
Peregrinus

The question is more complex than it seems.

In the first place, citizenship isn't a simple binary. A "second-class citizen', subject to various legal disabilities or restrictions, is still a citizen. Jewish emancipation in any country is generally dated from the date when the last legal disabilities were removed - e.g. in the UK Jews were permitted to enter Parliament in 1858 - but in fact Jews may have been citizens of the country concerned from long before that, or may never have been excluded from citizenship. So we need to clarify whether the question is seeking the country which last admitted Jews to citizenship, or which last removed legal restrictions or limitations affecting the citizenship of Jews?

The other point is that Jews frequently suffered from restrictions/disabilities which were not specifically aimed at Jews, and which affected other groups as well. For example the laws which kept Jews our of Parliament were not aimed at Jews; they required the taking of a religious oath in Trinitarian form, and thus operated to exclude everyone but Trinitarian Christians. Even today a Jew cannot succeed to the throne of the United Kingdom, but this is not because they are Jewish so much as because they are not Protestant. Until I think 1868 a Jew could not become a Romanian citizen (and from that date to 1923 could only become a Romanian citizen by special naturalisation) but, again, this was because of a law which excluded non-Christians (and which may have been aimed at Muslims/Turks as much as at Jews).

So, I think we need to clarify the question. Are we specifically looking at laws which target Jews, or at wider laws which affect Jews among others? And are we looking at laws which exclude from citizenship entirely, or which restict or limit the rights and privileges that other citizens enjoy?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion