Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-06-2019, 13:23   #1
Doodoo

Send a message via AIM to Doodoo
1980's House Heating System

Just bought a 1980's house. House has raised wooden floors with oil central heating via radiators. External walls were pumped a few years ago with beads. The house currently has a BER of C1. I will probably internally insulate the external walls but will see how this winter goes first.
I intend installing new windows in the next year and updating the interior but need to decide what I'm going to do with the floor first.

Option 1: Remove the wooden floorboards and install thermal board between the joists with an air tight membrane underneath and leave radiators as they are.

Option 2: Remove all wooden flooring and joists, fill in void, add thermal board insulation and install under floor heating getting rid of the rads.

Option 3: Leave the floor and rads as they are.

I would like to do option 2 but I don't think I can justify the costs as the current heating setup seems to work fine.
So option 1 would be my next choice although the hot water tank may need to be upgraded.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 15:30   #2
Calahonda52

https://www.nsai.ie/about/news/publi...de-of-practice
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 17:39   #3
BryanF

Option 1: air-tightness/vapour barrier on warm side of insulation
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold