Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jezeryks Circus

• 23-05-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a circus of this name that toured Ireland in 1950 or 1951? I may not have the spelling right as I am relying on memory of what I heard. The name might suggest that it was Eastern European. I believe at least one circus illegally crossed the Iron Curtain after the communist takeover.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Moved from Celebs & Showbiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There is a circus called Jerkus Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There is a circus called Jerkus Circus.

Thanks for that but I don't believe it's what I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's the Jeserich circus - was in Waterford in July 1950. Many of the acts had Germanic names - e.g. Paul Selich Troupe, Jutta Huschka with her five lions, the only female lion tamer in Ireland. Under the correct spelling there are many Google 'finds'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's the Jeserich circus - was in Waterford in July 1950. Many of the acts had Germanic names - e.g. Paul Selich Troupe, Jutta Huschka with her five lions, the only female lion tamer in Ireland. Under the correct spelling there are many Google 'finds'.

Thanks for that. I've spent half my life puzzling over it. It seems to have visited only cities. At least, I have established that they performed in Derry, Dublin, Waterford and Limerick. I would think Belfast and Cork must be included. I can find no record of any performance outside of cities. It seems to have been a very short-lived circus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

feargale wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've spent half my life puzzling over it. It seems to have visited only cities. At least, I have established that they performed in Derry, Dublin, Waterford and Limerick. I would think Belfast and Cork must be included. I can find no record of any performance outside of cities. It seems to have been a very short-lived circus.

At the moment I have a sub to the British Newspaper Archive – there are about 90 mentions of Jeserich in Irish papers.
    Jeserich’s Circus was a short lived affair – an advert in ‘The Stage’ of 10 March 1949 states “Wanted – Musicians for new Tenting Circus in Ireland, all instruments- doubling preferred; accommodation provided; good salary.- Apply to Max Crouch c o Jeserich Ltd., 5 Bachelors Walk Dublin.”

The circus seems to have done just one tour in Ireland, starting in Derry May 1949 then Coleraine, Ballymoney, Ballymena Larne Carrickfergus Garvagh, Dungiven, Limavady, Coleraine, Carrickfergus Antrim Belfast (2 weeks) Ardee, Drogheda, Skerries Dublin, Greystones, Wicklow, Gorey, Enniscorthy Wexford, New Ross, Waterford, Tramore Carrick on Suir, Dungarvan. (Location/date sequence seem a bit confused in the newspaper adverts, foregoing might not be 100% exact.)

The ‘Catholic Standard’ of 8 July 1949 has a write-up about a performer (Italian) and his Lourdes medal and mentions that there were about 100 people in the circus including many Irish, a Patrick Fahy of Longford was assistant tent master and had been in circus life for 21 years. Also states that Jeserich had lived in Ireland ‘since the war years’. Albert Jeserich seems to have been a frontman as an article on the death of the circus elephant trainer (collapsed when exercising the elephants) states that the circus mourners were led by Mr. G. Downey, Director, Mr. A Jeserich Manager and Mr. T. Meaney assistant manager.

By 4 November 1949 (Manchester Evening News) Jeserich Ltd. was promoting the Royal South African Circus at Salford.

Other mentions of Jeserich in Ireland before 1949 refer to him as a horse trainer with the Chapman Zoo-Circus. By the early 1950’s he appears back in Midlands England with his dancing horse acts working for others.

Edit - dropping the 's' and 'circus' and making it 'Jeserich' throws up many more hits. It appears to have done three seasons before folding - Derry Journal 21 March 1952 – Jeserich’s Circus Sold
    Jeserich’s Circus was sold in various lots for a total of £3,500 in its winter quarters at St. Margarets Dublin yesterday. It had been owned by a group of Dublin Business men. One of the animals sold was a little Shetland pony, “Omagh Pie” for £36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just searched for Jeserich circus in Newspapers.com as its a freebie weekend. There are lots of hits, mainly USA but one is in the Manchester Guardian titled "Leopards dead in truck".
    https://www.newspapers.com/image/258912836/?terms=Jeserich%2BCircus

Some of the American hits refer to a circus too.

Advertisement