Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2019, 03:10   #1
orchidsrpretty

Possible half marathon?

I’m a extreme novice at jogging. I’ve ran about 500kms in total. I want to do a half marathon in September. I haven’t done any races yet as I work every weekend, Would it be possible to train for if and what kind of mileage should I be doing. I try to get out 2/3 times a week. The furthest I’ve ran is 11.5kms in 1hr22m and that was tough. I usually run between 7 and 10kms at a pace of 6,45-7,20m/km
Would there be a good training plan that would prepare me in 7 weeks(I’m away until late June) or should I forget about this one and look for another later in the year?
Thanks!
Advertisement
22-05-2019, 15:34   #2
muloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsrpretty View Post
I’m a extreme novice at jogging. I’ve ran about 500kms in total. I want to do a half marathon in September. I haven’t done any races yet as I work every weekend, Would it be possible to train for if and what kind of mileage should I be doing. I try to get out 2/3 times a week. The furthest I’ve ran is 11.5kms in 1hr22m and that was tough. I usually run between 7 and 10kms at a pace of 6,45-7,20m/km
Would there be a good training plan that would prepare me in 7 weeks(I’m away until late June) or should I forget about this one and look for another later in the year?
Thanks!
plenty of plans here, all levels all distances
https://www.halhigdon.com/training/

1/2 are generally 12 weeks.
Any reason you wouldn't do a few parkruns/5k races first, see how you go?
Thanks from:
23-05-2019, 16:27   #3
deisedude

Quote:
Thanks!
Its possible but honestly i think you would be better off training for and running some 5k's and 10k races first and do a half next year. or later in the year

Some novice runners sign up too quick for a half or marathon when they aren't ready and have a bad experience and it puts them off running all together
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2019, 18:58   #4
skyblue46

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedude View Post
Its possible but honestly i think you would be better off training for and running some 5k's and 10k races first and do a half next year. or later in the year

Some novice runners sign up too quick for a half or marathon when they aren't ready and have a bad experience and it puts them off running all together
+1 to this. In all honesty running 2/3 times per week leading into a 7 week prep for a HM is not a smart idea. It would probably end in tears.
Thanks from:
26-05-2019, 09:53   #5
orchidsrpretty

Thank you all for the input. Will focus on getting some experience in 10ks first.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2019, 12:29   #6
Lazare

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. Will focus on getting some experience in 10ks first.
Fair play for taking advice on board and adjusting.

Most people learn the hard way.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion