Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible half marathon?

• 22-05-2019 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I’m a extreme novice at jogging. I’ve ran about 500kms in total. I want to do a half marathon in September. I haven’t done any races yet as I work every weekend, Would it be possible to train for if and what kind of mileage should I be doing. I try to get out 2/3 times a week. The furthest I’ve ran is 11.5kms in 1hr22m and that was tough. I usually run between 7 and 10kms at a pace of 6,45-7,20m/km
    Would there be a good training plan that would prepare me in 7 weeks(I’m away until late June) or should I forget about this one and look for another later in the year?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭muloc

I’m a extreme novice at jogging. I’ve ran about 500kms in total. I want to do a half marathon in September. I haven’t done any races yet as I work every weekend, Would it be possible to train for if and what kind of mileage should I be doing. I try to get out 2/3 times a week. The furthest I’ve ran is 11.5kms in 1hr22m and that was tough. I usually run between 7 and 10kms at a pace of 6,45-7,20m/km
    Would there be a good training plan that would prepare me in 7 weeks(I’m away until late June) or should I forget about this one and look for another later in the year?
    Thanks!

plenty of plans here, all levels all distances
    https://www.halhigdon.com/training/

1/2 are generally 12 weeks.
    Any reason you wouldn't do a few parkruns/5k races first, see how you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thanks!

Its possible but honestly i think you would be better off training for and running some 5k's and 10k races first and do a half next year. or later in the year

Some novice runners sign up too quick for a half or marathon when they aren't ready and have a bad experience and it puts them off running all together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

deisedude wrote: »
    Its possible but honestly i think you would be better off training for and running some 5k's and 10k races first and do a half next year. or later in the year

Some novice runners sign up too quick for a half or marathon when they aren't ready and have a bad experience and it puts them off running all together

+1 to this. In all honesty running 2/3 times per week leading into a 7 week prep for a HM is not a smart idea. It would probably end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thank you all for the input. Will focus on getting some experience in 10ks first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thank you all for the input. Will focus on getting some experience in 10ks first.

Fair play for taking advice on board and adjusting.

Most people learn the hard way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement