Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrical Fault in a Pond Vacuum Cleaner

Options
  • 20-11-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an Oase Classic Pondovac pond vacuum cleaner. It has decided not to function. It was not carefully stored by me over winter periods, but left to the elements. The on-off rocker switch does not light when the unit is plugged in - it should, irrespective of whether rocker is in on or off position. Switching the rocker to on does not start the motor. . There is no problem with the plug or the plug fuse (checked both). The cable from the plug to the unit is visibly intact. All wiring under the hood seems visibly to be intact and all connections seem to be tight. The non-lighting rocker switch is contained within a plastic housing that is not openable.

Any ideas what might cause the rocker switch not to light up when unit is plugged in? Just wondering could there be a wire break underneath the plastic sheath somewhere between the plug and the unit or further along to the connection to the rocker switch casing- can wire breaks be tested for? Or is there a fuse inside the rocker switch housing that could have blown? See rocker switch housing in attached image.

Thanks for reading this.

https://www.screencast.com/t/6T6YIeJhc5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Two possibility reasons come to mind.

One. The switch may be ok , but indicator light failed.
    Two. Try rotating the rotor on the pump and see does it then work

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Thank you for your response Adrian. I have it fixed now. Not fully sure how, but I disassembled the rocker switch unit, cleaned the contact points, and reassembled. The wiring to the rocker from the plug was checked using a simple test probe (the ones that light up if there is a flow through the wire) and the wiring was found to be intact. No idea why this has worked as everything looked intact when originally disassembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thanks, Deaglan. Glad it is working.

Advertisement