Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much football does your OH watch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

meeeeh wrote: »
    No it's not. Ball sports in general are fairly cheap and inclusive (if you are not complete klutz). My son does rugby and it's no more exclusive or harder to participate in it than GAA. I grew up among kids training skiing for example and the sports where you need expensive equipment are a lot more exclusive.

As for watching I find Giro, Tour or Vuelta great background to cooking and housework.:D

What private school does your son go to? The expensive school is the the expensive equipment when it comes to rugby, either way, how can you that GAA, a sport played at grass roots level in every single community in Ireland from the Kerry peninsula to the Giants causeway, is less inclusive than Rugby which is played in a handful of private fee paying schools in Dublin? Aren't you embarrassed to make a statement like that without actually thinking it through for more than 5 seconds?

Btw you don't say my son "does" rugby, he plays rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He is in national school and is in his local Rugby club as are other kids from the area. The same goes for older age groups. as a parent who is not Irish and knows nothing about gaa or rugby I find rugby easier to get information for than gaa.

I think you just have an awful lot of prejudices about people who are not interested in the same stuff as you are or don't live the same way as you do. When I was a child my dad would take me to see rally, ski jumping, skiing, ice hockey (I love ice hockey), handball, basketball, football and those are some of my fondest memories. A year younger brother would join us sometimes but he was less interested in sport. Sport did not interfere on our family time, it made me closer to dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry but this is a complete bs. You either like certain sport or you don't but rugby is no more inclusive than soccer or any other ball sport. No ball sport suited me (I'm rubbish at all of them) so I could claim that running is more inclusive because everyone can run.

That's a fairly sweeping statement. I've given my lived experience, did you play rugby or is your point that a ball is a ball is a ball... ?

Running isn't inclusive of people without any legs. Can I now say your opinion is BS?

What private school does your son go to? The expensive school is the the expensive equipment when it comes to rugby, either way, how can you that GAA, a sport played at grass roots level in every single community in Ireland from the Kerry peninsula to the Giants causeway, is less inclusive than Rugby which is played in a handful of private fee paying schools in Dublin? Aren't you embarrassed to make a statement like that without actually thinking it through for more than 5 seconds?

Btw you don't say my son "does" rugby, he plays rugby.

What a chip on shoulder! Someone piss in your cornflakes? My girls play at carrigaline rugby club. So far from a private school... :pac::pac:. it's a country town.

pwurple wrote: »
    That's a fairly sweeping statement. I've given my lived experience, did you play rugby or is your point that a ball is a ball is a ball... ?

Running isn't inclusive of people without any legs. Can I now say your opinion is BS?

I played football (soccer), basketball and volleyball I never found them exclusive, I was just not good at them. I said I find my sport is better than yours nonsense tedious and yes it is ridiculous to claim rugby is more inclusive. And no I didn't play rugby. There are many countries where rugby is not played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I follow the premier league. I'd try and watch every Liverpool game, and most of the other big games. I'd also be fairly invested in GAA, not just the summer but club games too.

But I work in a mostly female profession and have no one to chat about these things.

I don't know how many tea time chats I've sat in silence just because I didn't watch Game of Thrones.

Everyone has their own interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What a nasty chip on the shoulder! You should have that looked at. Someone piss in your cornflakes? My girls play at <snip> rugby club. So far from a private school... :pac::pac:. it's a country town.

And a relatively affluent one, many kids at it from Blackpool or Churchfield? Or are they playing at their own inclusive rugby clubs?

I've no particular problem with rugby but soccer and GAA are sports which seem to have far fewer barriers to entry when it comes to social class for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My OH has no interest in any sport whatsoever. He's an only child and his Dad was only ever interested in horse racing. I would have more basic knowledge of sports than he would and that's because of my Dad and brothers . I never played any sport. I have dyspraxia and can't throw, kick catch or run so no one would want me on their team and quite frankly I never wanted to be on one. I will say I think Rugby is an awful, violent game. I can't fathom any parent allowing their kids to play it. What possible value can be gained from a game where it's OK to hurl yourself st someone's legs to trip them up while they're running full speed or have several people throw themselves on top of you when you're on the ground? How is that kind of thughisness acceptable because it's in the context of a game? Awful. Glorified thuggery for rich boys and social climbing parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Currently single but my ex watched about as much sport as I watched Love Island/Kardashians etc. so it was horses for courses.
    Once he wasn't expecting me to watch it with him every week I wouldn't be complaining. Its good and healthy to have different hobbies/interests.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    My OH has no interest in any sport whatsoever. He's an only child and his Dad was only ever interested in horse racing. I would have more basic knowledge of sports than he would and that's because of my Dad and brothers . I never played any sport. I have dyspraxia and can't throw, kick catch or run so no one would want me on their team and quite frankly I never wanted to be on one. I will say I think Rugby is an awful, violent game. I can't fathom any parent allowing their kids to play it. What possible value can be gained from a game where it's OK to hurl yourself st someone's legs to trip them up while they're running full speed or have several people throw themselves on top of you when you're on the ground? How is that kind of thughisness acceptable because it's in the context of a game? Awful. Glorified thuggery for rich boys and social climbing parents.

I'm guessing ice hockey wouldn't be among your favorite team sports either. :D

• Advertisement

And a relatively affluent one, many kids at it from Blackpool or Churchfield? Or are they playing at their own inclusive rugby clubs?

I've no particular problem with rugby but soccer and GAA are sports which seem to have far fewer barriers to entry when it comes to social class for whatever reason.

Carrigaline is a farming town. Is that what we call affluent now?

What barriers to setting up a rugby club are there? It's a minority sport. That's the main barrier, there isn't a club in every village, because the participation numbers are low. Lack of volunteers.

Churchfield has a decent public swimming pool doesn't it? The best one in the city actually, water slides and all. Swimming is another minority sport here, but a hell of a lot more expensive to get up and running, given the facilities required. That's the choice they made.

Thuggery? Really? It's a contact sport. I would rather all the running around and bashing into eachother than locked in a darkened room.

This is why playgrounds can't get insurance. Parents want padded cells instead of active kids.

Here are some rich boys:
    Lionel Messi - Soccer. 80 million per year
    Cristiano Ronaldo - Soccer 64 million per year

Dan Carter - highest paid rugby player in the world, 1.2 million per year
    Matt Giteau - Second highest. 1.1 million per year.

They are on around one sixtieth of the pay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Carrigaline is a farming town. Is that what we call affluent now?

I'm familiar with it, compared to other parts of Cork and other "farming towns" in other parts of the country, it is relatively affluent.
    What barriers to setting up a rugby club are there? It's a minority sport. That's the main barrier, there isn't a club in every village, because the participation numbers are low. Lack of volunteers.

As I said, whatever the barriers are they're clearly there, just go listen to the national rugby and soccer teams, go watch a rugby or a premier league match and tell me there's not a stark and consistent difference in the social backgrounds of the players and supporters (though the latter is changing recently with the success of the national team). Denying the blatantly obvious issue isn't going to change it like. You've said it yourself there, participation in certain communities is low, why?
    Churchfield has a decent public swimming pool doesn't it? The best one in the city actually, water slides and all. Swimming is another minority sport here, but a hell of a lot more expensive to get up and running, given the facilities required. That's the choice they made.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this, I'm just saying that arguing that rugby is wonderfully inclusive because short fat people can play it is pretty stupid. I don't think there's anything inherently exclusive in the mechanics of the sport itself like.

Anyways not going to get into an argument about it because I don't really care and because we were all doing so well evading OPs machinations until they changed tack from "sport is stupid" to "rugby is stupid"

I'm guessing ice hockey wouldn't be among your favorite team sports either. :D

Probably not! I've never seen a game but my understanding is its pretty violent. The players are pretty well padded though, unlike in Rugby. But yeah, any 'sport' that involves deliberately inflicting violence on players horrifies me. I get that view is coloured by my condition. Obviously, I'd be toast in seconds in any kind of contact sport but I just don't like violence in any set up
    and I don't think violent games have anything positive to teach children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think the issue is that people who don't share an interest find it difficult to understand.

I am a big American Football fan. Once the season starts, Sunday evenings are generally spent watching games, and i will often make plans around being at home to do so. I'm not a soccer fan, bit of a rugby fan, and I like watching tennis too. Myself and my wife share those interests, almost in that order and have had great fun travelling to Wimbledon and the US Open, and over to London for NFL games.

Now, I don't watch Game of Thrones, or any of the reality shows that most of my office watch like Love Island or I'm a Celebrity. In all honesty the drudgery of having to sit through those conversations are worse that the lads talking about soccer.

So long as there's give and take in a relationship I don't see the problem.

@Sardonicat

Except resistance, support, respect, friendship, discipline and many other benefits sports offer.

Like they don't 'do' irish dancing, they perform it, or they don't "do" swimming, they what, swim it? Get over yourself.

You would say that they dance and they swim. So much for the posh education. Seriously like.

Chip and shoulder come to mind.

@Sardonicat

Except resistance, support, respect, friendship, discipline and many other benefits sports offer.

Yes; sports do offer these things. I'm not denying that. But Rugby teaches precisely the values that the elite British schools wanted to instil in the future leaders of empire. We're bigger, we're stronger, we play by dirty rules and we're gonna take what we want by brute force. It's a filthy, nasty, violent game.

Thuggery? Really? It's a contact sport. I would rather all the running around and bashing into eachother than locked in a darkened room.

This is why playgrounds can't get insurance. Parents want padded cells instead of active kids.

Here are some rich boys:
    Lionel Messi - Soccer. 80 million per year
    Cristiano Ronaldo - Soccer 64 million per year

Dan Carter - highest paid rugby player in the world, 1.2 million per year
    Matt Giteau - Second highest. 1.1 million per year.

They are on around one sixtieth of the pay...

Yes, thuggery.

• Advertisement

Yes; sports do offer these things. I'm not denying that. But Rugby teaches precisely the values that the elite British schools wanted to instil in the future leaders of empire. We're bigger, we're stronger, we play by dirty rules and we're gonna take what we want by brute force. It's a filthy, nasty, violent game.

Righto, that clears it up. You're poisoned by a bitter dublin-centric view.

Come down to limerick or munster and you may open your mind a crack.

I'm just saying that arguing that rugby is wonderfully inclusive because short fat people can play it is pretty stupid. I don't think there's anything inherently exclusive in the mechanics of the sport itself

Can you stop calling me, or everything I say stupid, or bullsht? It is fairly rude and there's no call for it.

That sport simply does include more body shapes, compare a winger to a second row... And particularly as a woman, I recognise, welcome and encourage that.

Can you stop calling me, or everything I say stupid, or bullsht? It is fairly rude and there's no call for it.

That sport simply does include more body shapes, compare a winger to a second row... And particularly as a woman, I recognise, welcome and encourage that.
    Thuggery isn't exclusive to tall, thin people though, is it?

Oh, by the way, I'm struggling to figure out how I developed my Dublin centric view here in Kerry. Perhaps you could try and explain how that works along with how watching people steamroller over each other, trip each other up and pile on top of each other is less seem
    thuggush in Limerick or Cork.

Is there any research that shows rugby teaches thuggery or is the case of if I repeat it often enough it will become fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I mean, they had two rugby clubs in Castlebar the year I worked there (one of the lads I worked with was in one). So I think it's pretty accessible even in relatively rural areas.

And in rugby they seem to have a lot more respect for the referee than in soccer or football/hurling.

I agree though, OP is just getting what he wants by us all arguing...I really don't have strong feelings on one sport over another! (I suck at all of them, universally)

As a woman I think it reinforces toxic masculinity. Men in groups, huddled together, forcing and barging their way through life. I don't understand why feminism tries to ape male behaviour and rather than blaze their own trail women think that feminism is about competing in male sports and occupations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As a woman I think it reinforces toxic masculinity. Men in groups, huddled together, forcing and barging their way through life. I don't understand why feminism tries to ape male behaviour and rather than blaze their own trail women think that feminism is about competing in male sports and occupations.

I'm as much of a feminist as they come but it just sounds like you're going out of your way to be offended about something trivial.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'm as much of a feminist as they come but it just sounds like you're going out of your way to be offended about something trivial.

What it is that you think I'm offended about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

...Her husband was nowhere to be seen because he was watching the match!

At the risk of saying something on-topic and moving away from the bitching ....

Sounds like this really has Shocked/Outraged you OP? I'm sorry to hear that.

Some food for thought, if the team which I support is playing then my OH will be in the same position.

In fact, last weekend she took our kid, and a friend, out for a few hours while I stayed at home and watched football.

Does this really horrify you? Am I a bad father? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ah now that's just toxic masculinity :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement