Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yale Conexis l1 Smart Lock

• 07-11-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Purchased the Yale smart lock and installed yesterday but neither the thumbturn or the paired smart tag will lock or unlock the door. You can hear the motor churning but nothing happened. I took it off and repeated the steps about 5 times but still having the same issue. Won't be able to get on to yale support until Sat, anyone experience this issue before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hi all,

Purchased the Yale smart lock and installed yesterday but neither the thumbturn or the paired smart tag will lock or unlock the door. You can hear the motor churning but nothing happened. I took it off and repeated the steps about 5 times but still having the same issue. Won't be able to get on to yale support until Sat, anyone experience this issue before?

Thanks

Now resolved. My own stupid for not pulling up the handle fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Can you post your experience with this as I'm very interested in getting one. Where did you get yours?

Thanks,

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    Can you post your experience with this as I'm very interested in getting one. Where did you get yours?

Thanks,

R

Got it direct from yale along with the smart security system(yet to install) . They had 20% off everything in Oct but they seem to do this regularly.

Install very simple, leaving aside my own stupidity above and I wouldn't call myself handy at DIY.

Have it in operation just this weekend so early days. Have paired 4 fobs and 2 cards without issue. All working fine so far. Just to note that with a multipoint door you can't lock your door via the app or alexa, the only way you can do this is to lift the handle. You can then unlock via the app or with the fob.

If you want a virtual key to give people access for a certain period you can purchase these as an additional cost.

The ability to unlock via the app and give people virtual keys are the main benefits. Its a pity that it can't actually lock the door via automation, that would be a game changer but would need a huge battery to engage the multipoint locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I've had this installed for a little over a year. I installed the z-wave module to integrate it with home assistant and that caused the battery to drain in a matter of days.
    I'd had read about this issue from others online and the advice was to DM them on twitter and they will ship you another z-wave module free of charge that resolves the battery drain issue. I did this and it now works perfectly. I'm on my 2nd set of batteries in 12 months, current set is on 56% so very happy with the battery drain.

The Z-Wave integration makes this lock super useful. I can have the door unlock automatically based on presence and also alert if its unlocked when we run the goodnight routine at the end of the day.

I never use the bluetooth app to open the door. We got the phone tags that stick to the back of your phone and we use them along with the keyring tags to open the door.

I was in woodies the other day and they are selling these now which I found amusing given the hassle I had trying to find a supplier of these back in the day when they first came out.

beanian wrote: »
    I've had this installed for a little over a year. I installed the z-wave module to integrate it with home assistant and that caused the battery to drain in a matter of days.
    I'd had read about this issue from others online and the advice was to DM them on twitter and they will ship you another z-wave module free of charge that resolves the battery drain issue. I did this and it now works perfectly. I'm on my 2nd set of batteries in 12 months, current set is on 56% so very happy with the battery drain.

The Z-Wave integration makes this lock super useful. I can have the door unlock automatically based on presence and also alert if its unlocked when we run the goodnight routine at the end of the day.

I never use the bluetooth app to open the door. We got the phone tags that stick to the back of your phone and we use them along with the keyring tags to open the door.

I was in woodies the other day and they are selling these now which I found amusing given the hassle I had trying to find a supplier of these back in the day when they first came out.

I have the sync module, presume it will do the same? Sound useful. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

beanian wrote: »
    ...I never use the bluetooth app to open the door. We got the phone tags that stick to the back of your phone and we use them along with the keyring tags to open the door.

Do you have to have a sticker on your phone, even is your phone is already NFC-capable?

R

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

RunDMC wrote: »
    Do you have to have a sticker on your phone, even is your phone is already NFC-capable?

R

I'm keen to know this too...

There's an August module being launched for this lock... It'll allow you to use a clone of the August app, include a WiFi bridge/hub and allow you to dish out keys as needed (hopefully instead of charging you each time)... It may also let you add the August keypad to allow you to give out pin codes.

I'm gonna hold out for details before investing. The current way of sending a key, having the recipient download an app, register an account before arrival and then to gain access: opening the app, pressing a button on the lock and then waving the phone around is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

I've been thinking about a Yale Conexis L1 for some time now but I have been put off by the appalling reviews that the app gets and consequently the lock.

A significant number of people seem to have had issues with batteries running out within weeks or a short number of months, tags losing connection with the lock and other issues that end up with either themselves or worse still non-techies being locked out of the house. These are the things that would worry me the most. Has any of owners here experienced any or all of these?

I don't know of any other similar design lock that will fit European uPVC doors. I have seen the clunky-looking lumps that get stuck on to the door lock but I wouldn't go there, As far as I can see it's a case of sticking with the reliable ole key or take the plunge and go with the Conexis L1. It really is a good locking lock that seems to have been very well engineered.

If anyone here has had any experience that is significantly different from what I have suggested then I would appreciate a response. Otherwise, I feel that I should really wait until either the app gets a viable update or some other player launches an alternative that fits my bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

davidod1 wrote: »
    A significant number of people seem to have had issues with batteries running out within weeks or a short number of months, tags losing connection with the lock and other issues that end up with either themselves or worse still non-techies being locked out of the house. These are the things that would worry me the most. Has any of owners here experienced any or all of these?

Had some issues with batteries (using z-wave module). Switched from disposable alkaline to rechargable NiCad batteries to ultimately rechargable lithium-ion AAs and no rarely think about it now: so going from changing batteries every few weeks to once every 6-7 months. Once the battery voltage gets any way low, the lock bitches about low batteries.

Don't really use the fobs so can't comment there. The app isn't very polished - and that's being polite about it. Watch out if you've shared keys with someone and they change phone - poof!

• Advertisement

I've been thinking about a Yale Conexis L1 for some time now but I have been put off by the appalling reviews that the app gets and consequently the lock.

I don't know of any other similar design lock that will fit European uPVC doors. I have seen the clunky-looking lumps that get stuck on to the door lock but I wouldn't go there, As far as I can see it's a case of sticking with the reliable ole key or take the plunge and go with the Conexis L1. It really is a good locking lock that seems to have been very well engineered.

If anyone here has had any experience that is significantly different from what I have suggested then I would appreciate a response. Otherwise, I feel that I should really wait until either the app gets a viable update or some other player launches an alternative that fits my bill.

Strangely enough I have had zero issues with this to date bar my own stupidity with the install. Have used the fob,cards and virtual keys.Hooked up to the smart sync alarm too. Don't think I have changed the batteries chanced the batteries yet,may have once but can't remember. Don't use the app a lot it's mainly the fob. Virtual keys are handy if you have someone staying over but only used them a couple of times.

If only there was a solution to lock the door remotely or with Alexa,it would need a huge battery to engage the multipoint lock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If only there was a solution to lock the door remotely or with Alexa,it would need a huge battery to engage the multipoint lock though.

I do it through Alexa and SmartThings - tell Alexa goodnight and lights go out and backdoor is locked. But, to your point, that assumes the handle has been pushed up far enough for it to do the last part of the locking process.

Strangely enough I have had zero issues with this to date bar my own stupidity with the install. Have used the fob,cards and virtual keys.Hooked up to the smart sync alarm too. Don't think I have changed the batteries chanced the batteries yet,may have once but can't remember. Don't use the app a lot it's mainly the fob. Virtual keys are handy if you have someone staying over but only used them a couple of times.

Thanks for that info. I would be using the 'Z' Wave module as I do have a Hubitat and it would be pointless in not availing of it.

I would intend to hand out a few tags alright, and the kids do have iPhones and seem to upgrade regularly. Mind you, in fairness it probably wouldn't be that different if it was Android.

Can you live happily without having to depend on the app, as in just using tags for normal day-to-day use? Also, are you up the well known creek if you do have a tag issue and no other entrance available to you?

Thanks for that info. I would be using the 'Z' Wave module as I do have a Hubitat and it would be pointless in not availing of it.

I would intend to hand out a few tags alright, and the kids do have iPhones and seem to upgrade regularly. Mind you, in fairness it probably wouldn't be that different if it was Android.

Can you live happily without having to depend on the app, as in just using tags for normal day-to-day use? Also, are you up the well known creek if you do have a tag issue and no other entrance available to you?

Yes you don't need the app for day to day. Once it's set up you just need the tags.

As long as you can access you phone you can unlock. Always good to have another person in the house with the app so they can let you in remotely. I haven't been caught out to date. I think you can could log in from any phone not just your own.

ethernet wrote: »
    I do it through Alexa and SmartThings - tell Alexa goodnight and lights go out and backdoor is locked. But, to your point, that assumes the handle has been pushed up far enough for it to do the last part of the locking process.

Yeah but you've locked the door already,Alexa is just relocking.

Always good to have another person in the house with the app so they can let you in remotely.

Sounds good advice.

Thanks to all for the little nuggets on info.

There was a press release on this about a year ago saying that this handle was due to get an 'august' module which would allow you to use the August app and be able to share codes freely...

It's the only handle I know that works effectively with 3 point locking doors, but I won't be purchasing until it migrates Tina usable platform.

Thanks Bluefoam for the info and link. The link explains everything, including how appalling the app is. Like you, I will definitely be waiting for the August Module. I saw a reference to August but didn't understand it until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

If someone could help me please.

To connect the smart door to Alexa Echo Show is there a need for a connecting smart hub other than the amazon device ? I thought the Echo was the Smart hub, it has confirmed as such.

The door was set up without issue and today I went to set it up with the Echo Show Alexa hub. I followed the instruction to pair which seems to be to register an account on the Yale Smart Home app and here’s where I’m running into problems.

I’m on an IPhone 7. It asks for an email account, password and to enter the serial number of the smart hub. I assume this to be the Echo so I went to scan the echo serial number but the qr reader provided does not let me scan the number and even when I enter it manually I’m being told the serial number isn’t correct. This may be a phone issue.

I tried a very new Samsung android phone, no issues scanning but an error message comes up is Registration Error. Panel master user is max

I’ve found nothing Online to explain how I can overcome either issue. Can someone assist please?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    If someone could help me please.
    I’m on an IPhone 7. It asks for an email account, password and to enter the serial number of the smart hub. I assume this to be the Echo so I went to scan the echo serial number but the qr reader provided does not let me scan the number and even when I enter it manually I’m being told the serial number isn’t correct. This may be a phone issue.

I tried a very new Samsung android phone, no issues scanning but an error message comes up is Registration Error. Panel master user is max

You will need to wait for someone who has had experience of this, however, I have read of extreme difficulties resulting in the need to talk to Yale directly, that were caused by errors in setting up accounts.
    Similarly, by people who purchased an unused lock from someone who had setup an account but never used the lock.

I am just saying wait for someone who can help you get it it right, just to avoid difficulties later.

I believe the new Access Module will be available soon. This module will allow you to use the Yale lock more like an August products with similar functionality, similar app & ability to share keys to guests phones... It will also use the bridge, which should allow you to use it with Google Assistant and Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I believe the new Access Module will be available soon. This module will allow you to use the Yale lock more like an August products with similar functionality, similar app & ability to share keys to guests phones... It will also use the bridge, which should allow you to use it with Google Assistant and Alexa

What info have you seen Bluefoam? I love the Yale lock, would like to be able to control it remotely. I have the Zwave module but never got around to sorting issues with my Zwave (long bungalow extension, coverage issues) so if I could get a wifi module I’d go for that and flog the Zwave module.

Will the August module require a separate hub?

Just wondering if this module: "Yale Module 2 for Conexis L1 & Keyless Connected Smart Door Locks SR-LM - SKU: SR-LM " is the August module that many have been waiting for to make the Conexis L1 properly useful.

I haven't seen any reviews referring to it anywhere. Is it possible that this is just an early revision of the original module?

Just wondering if this module: "Yale Module 2 for Conexis L1 & Keyless Connected Smart Door Locks SR-LM - SKU: SR-LM " is the August module that many have been waiting for to make the Conexis L1 properly useful.

I haven't seen any reviews referring to it anywhere. Is it possible that this is just an early revision of the original module?

I don't think thats it. I think thats the Z-Wave Module, for linking to other smart devices.

They are slow to get the module to market...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't think thats it. I think thats the Z-Wave Module, for linking to other smart devices.

They are slow to get the module to market...

Thanks for coming back Bluefoam. Guess we'll just have to continue to wait.

Just noticed that there's a new kid on the Eurolock Smart Lock train. Blusafe. The model of interest is the 'Origin'. - https://blusafesolutions.co.uk/

They are a UK company that recently launched a Yale Conexis L1 competitor. Looking at the specification and the company's installation guide video, it seems to have filled in a lot of the gaps that the Yale product either doesn't do well or indeed not at all.

The inside handle unit appears to be larger than the Yale unit, but it does seem to be a relatively quick and easy install. Assuming the build quality is good and the technology works as intended, the biggest problem is the current price. It is slated at £299 for the version that makes most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Looking at there website and setup videos looks really nice, and they deliver to Ireland for only 5 euros, so pretty good.

I was concerned i couldn`t see any BSI markings, but asked them about this and they say all products are BSI and IP certified. Now if it was a little cheaper i`d give it ago.

Now if it was a little cheaper i`d give it ago.

I'm totally with you there, certainly looking like the best option. I haven't noticed any other downsides to it. I'll wait a little while to see if any reviews start to pop up. Hope they don't take too long though; mightn't be able to contain myself. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

They say it only works with 93mm doors (the distance between center of handle shaft and center of key barrel) ... my door is more like 73mm ... is there a common standard in Ireland?

Advertisement