Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shutting door after horse has bolted.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Would Risco be a known brand, had a quote using their equipment which is a bit cheaper.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Would Risco be a known brand, had a quote using their equipment which is a bit cheaper.

My advice would be to look beyond the price if you can at all and go with HKC.
    Risco I know of, I have worked on that stuff but HKC leaves it in its wake.

kub wrote: »
    My advice would be to look beyond the price if you can at all and go with HKC.
    Risco I know of, I have worked on that stuff but HKC leaves it in its wake.

Yeah, although it's more expensive I'll probably go down that route. Thanks

Getting my alarm fitted Monday, with a year monitoring. Costing an arm and a leg, it'll actually be the most expensive thing in my house! but I genuinely haven't felt comfortable leaving the house since the break in, and stressed walking in the house every time I get home, and that's not right.

I know houses with alarms get broken in to still but the peace of mind, of at the very worst knowing before I walk in, is worth every penny.

Thanks all here for the advice, dare say I might be back with more questions in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Good luck, you can't put a price on peace of mind.

• Advertisement

Getting my alarm fitted Monday, with a year monitoring. Costing an arm and a leg, it'll actually be the most expensive thing in my house! but I genuinely haven't felt comfortable leaving the house since the break in, and stressed walking in the house every time I get home, and that's not right.

I know houses with alarms get broken in to still but the peace of mind, of at the very worst knowing before I walk in, is worth every penny.

Thanks all here for the advice, dare say I might be back with more questions in the future!

Your chances of being broken into after the installation of your new alarm system will drop dramatically compared to not having one.
    By having a system what you are doing is presenting any threat with a huge deterrent, they do not like them and the vast majority will keep going in whatever direction.

Well done and please if you have any queries, you know where we are.

Have an alarm, just no monitoring. For whatever reason the installer wasn't given the GSM addon to install.

Supposed to be fitting that tomorrow now.

Noticed on the external box there's no led lights on it unless it's going off. Thought they flashed all the time as deterrent.

Have an alarm, just no monitoring. For whatever reason the installer wasn't given the GSM addon to install.

Supposed to be fitting that tomorrow now.

Noticed on the external box there's no led lights on it unless it's going off. Thought they flashed all the time as deterrent.

Well it seems either your installer forgot to order the GSM or else the supplier never packaged it.

As for the external bell box, is sounds like a wireless one, they can be set for constant LED blinking but that will eat batteries.
    You are correct in that you would have noticed ones with blinking LEDS but these in all probability are the wired type unit.

Is it possible I wonder for your installer to get a cable to the external bell box and to give it power ?
    The wireless box has an input on it that will take an external power source which will make the LEDS blink.

Well it seems either your installer forgot to order the GSM or else the supplier never packaged it.

As for the external bell box, is sounds like a wireless one, they can be set for constant LED blinking but that will eat batteries.
    You are correct in that you would have noticed ones with blinking LEDS but these in all probability are the wired type unit.

Is it possible I wonder for your installer to get a cable to the external bell box and to give it power ?
    The wireless box has an input on it that will take an external power source which will make the LEDS blink.

Im not sure getting power to it would be particularly easy.

Would replacing the batteries be an installer job?

If I could do it, I'd rather have the led on, it's a white alarm box on white wall at the side of the house and not particularly noticeable otherwise. No sticker on the alarm box or any thing.

I am probably over thinking it all!

Well, alarm is in. Didn't worry about the led light's in alarm box in the end. Maybe going forward I might look into it.

Have ended up with 14 window/shock sensors (original quote, from more than one fitter mis counted or was going to use them differently?) and 2 PIR as well. Monitoring via the HKC app is good. Sends a notification very promptly after activation.

They have it set up so I can have perimeter secured while we're in, and full alarm with PIR when we're out.

For the original quote price too, so I think I've ended up with a better system than I thought I would.

• Advertisement

Well, alarm is in. Didn't worry about the led light's in alarm box in the end. Maybe going forward I might look into it.

Have ended up with 14 window/shock sensors (original quote, from more than one fitter mis counted or was going to use them differently?) and 2 PIR as well. Monitoring via the HKC app is good. Sends a notification very promptly after activation.

They have it set up so I can have perimeter secured while we're in, and full alarm with PIR when we're out.

For the original quote price too, so I think I've ended up with a better system than I thought I would.

I am delighted you are sorted out and the type of system you have now, ie with perimeter protection and back up PIR's is the best.
    It is great as well that with the system part set at night that you will be able to move around your home without feeling in anyway restricted by the very security system that is protecting your home.

Can I ask please, how come the external bell box is blank?
    Ones with names on them certainly have more credibility.

I am delighted you are sorted out and the type of system you have now, ie with perimeter protection and back up PIR's is the best.
    It is great as well that with the system part set at night that you will be able to move around your home without feeling in anyway restricted by the very security system that is protecting your home.

Can I ask please, how come the external bell box is blank?
    Ones with names on them certainly have more credibility.

Yeah, don't know. The work was done by lads from Cavan, for the company from Kilkenny. I'm going to get on to the company to get a sticker. Just looks like too dummy box ish otherwise.

Got a nice black plastic cover, with provider's name on, fitted on my external alarm box now, which is great, much happier with that, looks the part and not like a dummy box. CCTV will be next, but that'll have to wait, a long time, until I pay off the alarm :pac:

Have the alarm more or less paid off, so CCTV questions if people don't mind.

I was looking at this kit:

https://www.cctvireland.ie/4-camera-full-hd-cctv-kit-from-hikvision-the-world-leaders-in-cctv.html

Would this do a reasonable job for the money?

Would installation be a case of just running the cable (20 metres that's included) through the soffit to the cameras. I live in a bungalow so it'd be fairly straightforward, and I think there would be enough cable included, I think. But maybe there's loads more to it that I'm unaware of.

Is 1 tb hard drive just too small?

So, basically, kit any good, and could a moderate (at best) DIYer install it? Thanks.

Also, if anyone gets a chance to read this, could a hikvision wired CCTV if I went down that route interact somehow or another with my HKC alarm system? (Obviously this would be a job for an alarm engineer)

Advertisement