Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - Round 19 - U.S.A

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

uchimata83 wrote: »
    It's not just here. He's thoroughly dislikable.

I find all the F1 drivers cocky though. I suppose it’s hard to keep your feet on the ground when you’re young and good looking and at the top of your sport,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

uchimata83 wrote: »
    That AWS tyre degredation is some nonsense. Shows Lewis medium tyres at 60% after 24 laps and his his hard tyres at 40% after around the same amount. I'd say Amazon have some intern listening to team radio and having a guess at it.

More likely, it's a purely arithmetical calculation based on how many laps they say the tires are good for - you know Pirelli has to give an indicative "laps limit" per compound.

So, that limit is say 20 laps, they're on for 10 laps, the graphics will show 50%.
    Somebody managing the tires goes 25 laps on an compound that was supposed to last 20, the graphics say 0%...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well done to Lewis some achievement getting 6 WDC titles and he drove a great race.

Well done to Bottas for winning the race. He drove a great race.

The track was terrible do its got to be the bumpiest track on the calendar. I wonder will it still be like that or worse next year.

Overall do I thought it was a good race lots of action.

By the way it was Alex Albon hitting Vettels car at the beginning that damaged his suspension and not the kerb. Can't believe the commentators could not see that. Ferrari just not on form overall today do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

AMKC wrote: »
    Well done to Lewis some achievement getting 6 WDC titles and he drove a great race.

The track was terrible do its got to be the bumpiest track on the calendar. I wonder will it still be like that or worse next year.

By the way it was Alex Albon hitting Vettels car at the beginning that damaged his suspension and not the kerb. Can't believe the commentators could not see that. Ferrari just not on form overall today do.

Leclerc was the Ferrari on the other side of Albon in the first lap incident, not Vettel.

And you're right about the track surface, thankfully they announced they will close over winter to resurface parts of it so should be better next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

How did the track get the go-ahead to host that race it was a disgrace.
    It's not the best track anyway but to have a surface like that for the USA GP was bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

TCP/IP wrote: »
    It's not the best track anyway but to have a surface like that for the USA GP was bizarre.

I would've thought incredibly dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

skipper_G wrote: »
    Same age as Schumacher was when he won number 6. Stable regulations for next season, I expect Mercedes to be at the front still and he has the measure of Bottas so he's the favourite for next year imo.

I'd say he'd go longer than Schumacher though. Schumacher had a break and was racing into his 40s. Nowadays with modern diets and training, and Lewis looking like he is at the peak of human conditioning, I'd easily see him matching that. So if he had the machinery he could go much further than Schumacher. It's a pity the record books will show him as being better if he does top it, when context is important. Schumacher brought a whole new era of professionalism, dragged a team up from the doldroms and then dominated. I'd rank that ahead of Hamilton backign the right horse at the right time. It also makes Fangio's achievements arguably even greater than both these men, but that's another conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I'd say he'd go longer than Schumacher though. Schumacher had a break and was racing into his 40s. Nowadays with modern diets and training, and Lewis looking like he is at the peak of human conditioning, I'd easily see him matching that. So if he had the machinery he could go much further than Schumacher. It's a pity the record books will show him as being better if he does top it, when context is important. Schumacher brought a whole new era of professionalism, dragged a team up from the doldroms and then dominated. I'd rank that ahead of Hamilton backign the right horse at the right time. It also makes Fangio's achievements arguably even greater than both these men, but that's another conversation!

Fangio won 5 titles with 4 teams, hasn’t been matched since.

Schumacher 5 drivers titles in a row, not matched (yet)

As you said, Hamilton backed the right horse at the right time and Ron Dennis had to eat his words. One must wonder what would have happened if Mercedes did opt to sign Nick Heidfeld to replace Schumacher.

One record that Hamilton will never take from MS is standing on the podium at every single race in a season (17 in 2002). The sooner the dominance ends the better, the British bias is now at a sickeningly bad stage, worse than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

One record that Hamilton will never take from MS is standing on the podium at every single race in a season (17 in 2002).

The only records that mean anything are titles, wins and poles - in that order. Hamilton has another 4 or 5 years in him and as long as he stays focused and stays out of the recording studio he'll win at least 1 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Was listening to some commentary ..And they said the top of the hill at the back of the straight sank 1.5 meter since they started racing there

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »

Vettel's suspension was clearly not working correctly since the very start of the race - the car was "sat down" and simply didn't turn at all, he was struggling to keep Norris' pace. It's actually yet another worrying blunder by Ferrari, Red Bull were able to detect a microfracture in Verstappen's wing, but they couldn't figure out Seb's car had a suspension on the way out.

Again - anybody with a bit of knowledge and experience following F1 would have immediately figured out what had been going on seeing the wheel literally snap from Vettel's car. It's not too hard to put 1 and 1 together - huge understeer from turn 1, no contact with anyone, team scratching their heads and then RR wheel goes "snap!". Yet Brundle & C. kept going on about "them kerbs!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Vettel's suspension was clearly not working correctly since the very start of the race - the car was "sat down" and simply didn't turn at all, he was struggling to keep Norris' pace. It's actually yet another worrying blunder by Ferrari, Red Bull were able to detect a microfracture in Verstappen's wing, but they couldn't figure out Seb's car had a suspension on the way out.

Again - anybody with a bit of knowledge and experience following F1 would have immediately figured out what had been going on seeing the wheel literally snap from Vettel's car. It's not too hard to put 1 and 1 together - huge understeer from turn 1, no contact with anyone, team scratching their heads and then RR wheel goes "snap!". Yet Brundle & C. kept going on about "them kerbs!".

It was also bottoming out very bad coming out of one of the fast left handers. I don't see any problem with having a bumpy track, it's good to see the drivers working and the kerbs should be harsh to prevent people from cutting them.

For anyone complaining about the track surface, it's the same for every team and driver, and it's their respective responsibilities to cope with it as they would on something like a street circuit.

Ms

Liberty probably thought it would make it more exciting and entertaining. I wonder how many of the drivers thought that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Fangio won 5 titles with 4 teams, hasn’t been matched since.

I'd count that as a point against him to be honest. Different era when he could hop and skip depending on who had the best car. He purposely kept short contracts that could be easily broken as he knew he had strong bargaining power and knew the best team would take him. It would be like Schumacher saying in 96 and 97, I'll have the Williams, thank you very much, then jumping into a McLaren in 1998 at a whim when it was clear they had the best car. He'd easily have got 9 or 10 championships with freedom like that.

I'd count that as a point against him to be honest. Different era when he could hop and skip depending on who had the best car. He purposely kept short contracts that could be easily broken as he knew he had strong bargaining power and knew the best team would take him. It would be like Schumacher saying in 96 and 97, I'll have the Williams, thank you very much, then jumping into a McLaren in 1998 at a whim when it was clear they had the best car. He'd easily have got 9 or 10 championships with freedom like that.

But that's the exact same concept of both Schumacher and Hamilton winning 5 titles with the same team - the argument could be made that they simply chose to stay with the team that was clearly dominant. In the same guise, it could be also said that "Fangio made any team he joined a winning team" and that Schumacher and Hamilton made the teams they joined "dominant teams".

It's really a matter of spinning things the way one wants.

Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »

The Channel 4 commentators were the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

F1 cars don't collapse like that regularly so it's only natural that the media would be speculating as to the cause. TV pictures didn’t pick up on any heavy contact to Vettels rear so the next logical cause would be the track and how it's used.

Advertisement