Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Windows Thread

• 15-10-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

Long post warning on windows!

I have benefited from other people's experience and opinions on boards so I wanted to return the favour and hopefully help someone else. You will see that this is my first post but I am not affiliated with any company. I got 10 different quotes and unfortunately, there is no simple answer. Below really applies to a new build as the builder will follow up the fitting with air tightness etc so a renovation might be a different experience. The windows you pick depend on your house / budget / location but here goes...........

1. Seek the opinion of your builder / engineer / architect. My builder recommended going with Irish manufacturers as when something goes wrong (and it will, its a building site) there is a faster turnaround time. If it is a new build, try to work through the builder as he will be responsible for them.
    2. Expect approx 20% discount on the original quote if you push hard enough.
    3. Try and visit a site where your preferred windows are being fitted. They will all have a site. Showroom windows get a lot of wear in a short space of time. Make sure you look at the colours out of the showroom as the lights in there can play tricks.
    4. Do not pay attention to one line reviews such as "company A are rubbish" or my favourite "My brother in law is a builder and he wouldn't let Company B in the gate". Only pay attention to reviews where they actually give some detail. There are still plenty of those to read.
    5. I noted that most of the problems people seemed to have related to poor fitting as opposed to a poor product. It might be better to make sure that the fitters are experienced and don't just fit windows as a nixer.
    6. Make sure the window QS visits the site and takes the measurements and that you and the builder are there for it. I had 3 companies on site and a European based manufacturer couldn't do the window layout that the showroom said they could and an Irish manufacturer tried to swap in a lower spec window. Both instances meant that they tried to put pressure on us to change our preferred layout.
    7. Not every manufacturer can do the large triple glazed slider. Another company added a double glazed unit that slides and hoped we wouldn't notice.
    8. Consider how the window will perform on your site. You don's have to be an expert to spot potential weak points. I am on a relatively exposed site that will get driving rain and some windows have noticeable gaps between frame and window that I could imagine the rain driving into.
    9. There are different types of alu-clad! If you are going that way, make sure you know what you are getting. Read the posts and articles on the wood window with aluminium cladding type windows, I think that there might be something to that in the Irish climate.
    10. Get the best performing windows for your budget. This means sacrificing aesthetics for performance.
    11. If you want uPVC, get it. Don't listed to the uPVC haters. Don't be afraid to get a mix of uPVC / alu clad (where you cant see both windows directly beside each other).

In summary;
    Best showroom experience was North Scandinavian.
    Best quote (most detail, easiest to follow) was North Europe.
    Cheapest was Irish - not who most of you would think.
    Best on site was also Irish (eventual winner).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So you got uPVC then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks OP. I think you make a good point about the actual fitting of the windows, this is where the problems seem to crop up. You can have the best windows on the market but a bad fitting means that wont matter.

Im getting windows done soon myself and went with a local father and son team who've been in business for 35+ years. Chose them over a nationally known supplier from the south of Ireland, from research of them it is pot luck on who might be fitting the windows as these larger companies tend to have a higher turn over of staff. Whereas with the local company they've a local reputation to uphold and their fitters have worked with them a long time. Info I could only find out by asking a few locals but it was reassuring when you're spending thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BigEegit

Interesting post! Thanks for taking the time out to put it together.

Can you DM/PM the window companies you refer to please?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

BigEegit wrote: »

Me too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

Belfunk wrote: »
    Me too please.

+1 please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Love to hear aswell as currently about to review for self build. Could you PM the window companies you refer to

• Registered Users Posts: 7 material

Would appreciate it if you could also copy me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I’m in a funny position where I want to change out our windows (as I believe they are a huge heat loser) but I expect we will be in the house for no more than 4 - 5 years. Therefore I’m not looking to invest a huge amount of money. If it had been a forever home I may have been very particular about finishes and uvalues.

I really just want to update to get a better heat retention and we will be insulating the attic.

Any thoughts on what I need to be prioritizing when it comes to this?

Priortise the attic as its a fair bit cheaper than doing windows and it gives decent bang for buck.

As for windows- I think its possible to do the glazing only and use the old frames. Not sure how well this would work as I havent done it but it could be a way of saving a few quid if you intend to sell in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Priortise the attic as its a fair bit cheaper than doing windows and it gives decent bang for buck.

As for windows- I think its possible to do the glazing only and use the old frames. Not sure how well this would work as I havent done it but it could be a way of saving a few quid if you intend to sell in a few years.

I do wonder if the frames are the issue partly as they are thin aluminum with double glazing over 20 years old

• Advertisement

I do wonder if the frames are the issue partly as they are thin aluminum with double glazing over 20 years old

It could well be the frames. You can buy a smoke pen on ebayAmazon for a few euro and then on a windy night use it to blow smoke around the windows and frames so you can detect any drafts.

I know there are companies out there who speciailse in replacing the window seals. In some situations this can make a fair difference for a small enough outlay. If you're handy DIY wise you could also do it yourself, lots of videos on Youtube explaining the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sorchar

Hi OP,

thanks

Advertisement