Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fast feedback for a new writer?

Options
  • 22-08-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

First time posting here, hopefully my query is OK. I have never written anything before apart from academic papers, nothing overly creative. However, after a stressful period of life I just out of the blue started writing a story that had formed in my head. I'm almost finished the intro which will come out around 2000/2500 words. I'm sure it's not very good but I've enjoyed it far more than I expected and would like to learn how to improve. To that end, I was wondering firstly if anyone has any good resources for a beginner to look into. And, secondly, how I might get constructive feedback as I go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Advice: read it through 5-10 times. If you don't like what you're reading, if it doesn't sound right, correct it, read it again. Read it aloud. When you're happy with it, put it away for a month, then read it again. If you're still happy with it, post it here for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

There are probably online groups for writers to share their work and get feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

km85264 wrote: »
    Advice: read it through 5-10 times. If you don't like what you're reading, if it doesn't sound right, correct it, read it again. Read it aloud. When you're happy with it, put it away for a month, then read it again. If you're still happy with it, post it here for feedback.

I'm more interested in learning about my writing and how to improve it than the story itself. So, would like to get quicker feedback on that allowing me to learn and improve as I complete the story.
    Livvie wrote: »
    There are probably online groups for writers to share their work and get feedback?

Yes there are loads of them. Too many to make it easy to choose. I was wondering if anyone here already uses and can recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I'm more interested in learning about my writing and how to improve it than the story itself. So, would like to get quicker feedback on that allowing me to learn and improve as I complete the story.

You’d be amazed how bad first drafts usually are. If you post something that’s not ready you’ll get feedback on misspellings, unintended tense changes, poor grammar, missing punctuation, where what you’re really after is “is the protagonist credible?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Online has its advantages but there are also real life writers groups that may suit you. Try your local library. They usually have details of local groups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement