Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Suppose its something to wear for fancy occasions and show your support for Munster at the same time
    No, you wouldn't.
    awec wrote: »
    What fancy occasions are you attending in a tracksuit top? Must be a Limerick thing?
    No, it's not.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its a jumper type thing
    It's a sweat top to be worn with sweatpants. It's most definitely not a jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That wording is very tacky. Munster used to do jumpers with the logo (same colour as the jumper) sown in and it was a lot nicer than this.

If they stopped designing after the crest but before the big writing it would be a perfectly nice top.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No, you wouldn't.

No, it's not.

It's a sweat top to be worn with sweatpants. It's most definitely not a jumper.

Whatever it is I won't be buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

awec wrote: »
    Good grief look at this monstrosity.

57874243xlarge.jpg?sw=530

Looks very similar to last season's gear and just lashing on a giant logo

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Shockingly easy again for Leinster. Poor auld JJ. He is just not able for big pressure games and management ought to know this. He's a good squad player and thats it. Munster needed Pollard in the team more than DeAllende.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Lost all the collisions. This is all sadly familiar. We won't beat them playing with a pack like that. We won't beat them box kicking. We won't beat them with JJ.

We learned these things previously but keep making the same mistakes.

Question has to be asked re POM. He doesn't bring enough anymore imo. Time for JOS or Coombes to have a crack.

Is Murray being instructed to slow it down and box kick ad nauseum? Christ but I wanted casey on after 50. Try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Imagine having a backline with DdA, Farrell, Conway, Earls & Daly and practically never passing it to them.... Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The biggest problem is we struggle to string 6 or 7 phases together. We look like we've no answers once we can't get over the gainline.

JVG is fortunate he has another year left or tonight might have been it for him. Larkham and Rowntree are there long enough.

We need to get the academy 10s into the side with a matter of urgency. Carbery can't be counted on for anything at this stage. If he comes back, great. JJ isn't good enough for games like this. He's grand as a backup but between the Racing DG miss and the place kick misses tonight can you trust him in the big moments?

I hope Conway's injury isn't serious. It would be a nightmare to lose him long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Shocking game. Shocking performances. I just can't understand what game plan they're trying. Why bring in larkham and de allande for a slow paced box kicking game? No one looked like they were playing in a semi final. So poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think you've an issue in the second/back row. To my eyes Beirne doesn't have the power needed to be a lock, but would.make an excellent blindside flanker. He made a few carries this evening that were met with Leinster's defenders putting him two metres behind the gainline.

I know ye are down Snyman and Kleyn in the second row, but Beirne isn't a good enough option against the better packs. It should be him and POM competing for the 6 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

To the people criticising the team selection do you actually know who's out injured? Christ on a bike you'd swear JvG left a few players at home the way people are reacting. We had who we had and underperformed. Too many errors from start to finish and a few people want to blame JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

We need to get the academy 10s into the side with a matter of urgency. Carbery can't be counted on for anything at this stage. If he comes back, great. JJ isn't good enough for games like this. He's grand as a backup but between the Racing DG miss and the place kick misses tonight can you trust him in the big moments?

I hope Conway's injury isn't serious. It would be a nightmare to lose him long term.
    The academy 10s do need game time but maybe theres good reasons theyre not?
    phog wrote: »
    To the people criticising the team selection do you actually know who's out injured? Christ on a bike you'd swear JvG left a few players at home the way people are reacting. We had who we had and underperformed. Too many errors from start to finish and a few people want to blame JJ.
    The team selection ultimately is irrelevant with the way Munster set up to play. Munster will never win these games unless that changes

The academy 10s do need game time but maybe theres good reasons theyre not?

They're going to be in there by default due to the depth chart but we're in bother if we're still rolling out JJ and Scannell as the backup in a year's time. I'm grand with the decision to go with those two now but in three weeks we'll have a clean slate.

I'd say the same for Archer and Ryan due to their age.

The team selection ultimately is irrelevant with the way Munster set up to play. Munster will never win these games unless that changes

We came within a whisker of it 2 weeks ago, a dodgy penalty that led to a try and they win by 2 points.

Tonight a dodgy enough try and they win by 10 points.

They're going to be in there by default due to the depth chart but we're in bother if we're still rolling out JJ and Scannell as the backup in a year's time. I'm grand with the decision to go with those two now but in three weeks we'll have a clean slate.

I'd say the same for Archer and Ryan due to their age.
    You dont attend club games but these guys arent standing out a mile at that level so how can you throw them up yet when theyre not able to do it at AIL level.
    We came within a whisker of it 2 weeks ago, a dodgy penalty that led to a try and they win by 2 points.

Tonight a dodgy enough try and they win by 10 points.
    Thats nonsense. Leinster were able to soak all Munsters pressure like most of these games and take chances. No dodgy scores or anything like that. Leinster were extremely comfortable tonight.

You dont attend club games but these guys arent standing out a mile at that level so how can you throw them up yet when theyre not able to do it at AIL level.

Thats nonsense. Leinster were able to soak all Munsters pressure like most of these games and take chances. No dodgy scores or anything like that. Leinster were extremely comfortable tonight.

I knew I shouldn't have engaged :mad:

Ref can never, ever be wrong

It wasnt dodgy though.
    Dont be petty. Ive said refs are wrong regularly but you cant ever see that
    And it cant always be the refs fault. Admit the team, their tactics and so much more is at fault. Every big loss and theres a complaint about a refereeing decision. Well thats always going to be the case whether you win or lose. Refs make mistakes just like Munster made tons of them tonight.

The team selection for tonight selected itself for the last part. Projecting forward we need to get fresh blood in quickly.

Barron
    Knox
    Salanoa
    Ahern
    Hodnett
    JOS
    Casey
    Healy
    Crowley*
    Flannery
    Nash

Those are names that should be getting opportunities shortly. Crowley is only year 1 so it might be a bit soob for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Performances in club games by guys who dip in and out of club squads, rarely training with them, are not an indication of how young lads will do surrounded by higher class pro players in the pro game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The problem is after every Munster defeat, there is always some narrative about the ref robbing Munster, some decisions that cost Munster. The ref didn't miss two fairly straight forward kicks at goal tonight.

Performances in club games by guys of dip in and out of club squads, rarely training with them, are not an indication of how young lads will do surrounded by higher class pro players in the pro game.
    He's training with the pro set up week in week out and isnt being picked and virtually the only rugby he's actually played is with Garryowen so it very much is an indication of whether he can step up.
    Healy and many of the others train with the clubs regularly enough...
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The problem is after every Munster defeat, there is always some narrative about the ref robbing Munster, some decisions that cost Munster. The ref didn't miss two fairly straight forward kicks at goal tonight.
    Exactly. The ref isnt the reason Munster play as predictably as they always do. The ref isnt the reason Munsters front five isnt good enough against top packs. The ref isnt the reason Munsters back line attacking play is terrible

In that case Munster need to go into the market. If the youngsters aren't ready, fine. JJ needs competition and Scannell isn't a 10.

JJ isn't really the biggest issue. Ultimately the injuries two weeks ago played a massive part tonight. The front five we put out aren't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

In that case Munster need to go into the market. If the youngsters aren't ready, fine. JJ needs competition and Scannell isn't a 10.

JJ isn't really the biggest issue. Ultimately the injuries two weeks ago played a massive part tonight. The front five we put out aren't good enough.

Yes who cares about young player

Into the market is the answer

Maybe, just maybe Munster might learn and it would be better to push young players into the team so in the future they have them playing

Superfoods wrote: »
    Yes who cares about young player

Into the market is the answer

Maybe, just maybe Munster might learn and it would be better to push young players into the team so in the future they have them playing

Did you read my post?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So does van graans year four (final year) become a rebuilding year??

That's what it sounds like judging by these posts.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Nope.

Unless there's significant improvement I can't see him getting a new contract. Another year of hitting a brick wall in a playoff game/games won't be acceptable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »

He shouldn't get the final year.

He's had 3 years and Munster are still all fart and no shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Hanrahan is not good enough, he never was and he certainly isn't now.

Realistically Munster need to assume that Carbery is done. They need someone of a similar calibre to either replace him or provide competition if he does come back.

Either give the young lads a run or come up with a better plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hanrahan is not good enough, he never was and he certainly isn't now.

Realistically Munster need to assume that Carbery is done. They need someone of a similar calibre to either replace him or provide competition if he does come back.

Either give the young lads a run or come up with a better plan B.

Agree on hanrahan ,fingers crossed carbery comes back and fully agree on youngsters time to give Casey and healy a fair go.
    Van gran is the biggest issue tho I think ....wonder how much say larkam has ,looks obvious no much so far

Advertisement