Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe they should have picked one of their German/British GP chassis to show off? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭christy c

Thinking of going to the German grand Prix this year. Anyone got any tips/advice? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

christy c wrote: »
    Thinking of going to the German grand Prix this year. Anyone got any tips/advice? Thanks

Did it in 2016, had a great time! We got an Airbnb in Mannheim and got the train out for the 3 days - there is a (packed) bus that will bring you from the station at Hockenheim to a walkable distance to the circuit. Got seats next to the Haupttribune on the start/finish straight (Section H) so was great to see the grid for the starts and pit activity (although not a lot of action-action during the race itself as we weren't far down enough not to be able to see Turn 1 (there are screens though and it's right in front of the podium and close to a gate to get on the track afterwards.

Take a stroll around the circuit on the Friday and find a spot on the far side at the end of the straight, it's pretty quiet over that side on those days and you can sit out with a few beers really close to the track. Do watch the support races, find the Jim Clark Memorial and look at where the circuit used to go on into the forest where they have now planted trees. It's a really cool place!

Got on the track afterwards and was able to look into the garages (through the pitwall mesh). Rosberg, Martin Brundle and Hamilton came over fo the pitwall to say hi to fans - managed to catch and ice-cream from Lewis. It really is great fun and I'd highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭christy c

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Did it in 2016, had a great time! We got an Airbnb in Mannheim and got the train out for the 3 days - there is a (packed) bus that will bring you from the station at Hockenheim to a walkable distance to the circuit. Got seats next top the Haupttribune on the start/finish straight (Section H) so was great to see the grid for the starts and pit activity (although not a lot of action-action during the race itself as we were far down enough not to be able to see Turn 1 (there are screens though and it's right in front of the podium and cose to a gate to get on the track aftterwards.

Take a stroll around the circuit on the Friday and find a spot on the far side at the end of the straight, it's pretty quiet over that side of those days and you can sit out with a few beers really close to the track. Do watch the support races, find the Jim Clark Memorial and look at where the circuit used to go on into the forest where they have now planted trees. It's a really cool place!

Got on the track afterwards and was able to look into the garages (through the pitwall mesh). Rosberg, Martin Brundle and Hamilton came over fo the pitwall to say hi to fans - managed to catch and ice-cream from Lewis. It really is great fun and I'd highly recommend it!

Great stuff, thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mick Schumacher, son of seven-time champion Michael, has joined the Ferrari driver academy, sources close to the team say.

The 19-year-old is embarking on his first season in Formula 2, the final feeder category before Formula 1, with the leading Prema team in 2019.

As part of his deal, Mick Schumacher is to drive in two tests with Ferrari this season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46881708

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Peyton Lively Tiller

Gintonious wrote: »

LeClerc-Schumacher in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Viper pit that is Ferrari, I dunno, I'd hate to see a young Schumacher chewed up and spat out without been given a chance to grow into F1. It seems he's being fast-tracked lately.

Inviere wrote: »
    The Viper pit that is Ferrari, I dunno, I'd hate to see a young Schumacher chewed up and spat out without been given a chance to grow into F1. It seems he's being fast-tracked lately.

He is in F2 this year, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Inviere wrote: »

I'd like to see him in a Sauber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Likely scenario? If he is actually signed up to the Ferrari programme, then a drive in a Sauber or Haas is on the cards. I reckon, his year in F2 and how he performs will dictate whether they'll bump him up to F1 in 2020 into one of the Ferrari engined cars.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Like Father Like Son.

Mick at Sauber would still mean following in his fathers footsteps as seen here in 1997

1zvolw.jpg

Formula 1's 2019 rules changes cost "a few seconds of lap time" and produced "the worst possible outcome" when the Racing Point team completed its first simulations.

Simplified front and rear wing regulations will be introduced for 2019 with the aim of improving on-track action by reducing front wing sensitivity in turbulent air and minimising the difficulty of following another car closely.

While the jury is out on whether this will result on better racing and more overtaking, Racing Point technical director Andy Green said the "relatively small" rules change impacted the car's performance and balance "a lot".

"It's been a big hit," he told Autosport. "And when we first put it in the tunnel a few months ago, we're talking a few seconds of lap time, and a poorly balanced car as well.

"It was the worst possible outcome.

"Hopefully, it has some positives with respect to closer racing.

I don't know if this is good or bad?

Like Father Like Son.

Mick at Sauber would still mean following in his fathers footsteps as seen here in 1997

1zvolw.jpg

Saubere most overpaid test driver :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

Like Father Like Son.

It'd be seriously poignant seeing "MSC" being listed on the left of the screen again.

Bad for Racing Point anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think Mick has indicated he doesn't want that particular three letter identifier.

EDIT: He's been using SCM in the lower formula.

McLaren have a black logo on their Facebook's page. Suggesting that perhaps they'll have a black livery, and with the Coca-Cola sponsorship, maybe a Coke Zero branding livery??

astrofluff wrote: »
    McLaren have a black logo on their Facebook's page. Suggesting that perhaps they'll have a black livery, and with the Coca-Cola sponsorship, maybe a Coke Zero branding livery??

Would be nice to see the full Coca Cola branding in F1

astrofluff wrote: »

Image is taken down. The plot thickens...

I saw that someone said on reddit that an image was taken down - I'm thinking it may have been someone else's rendering of the livery on the car, or something to that effect, but the facebook page logo is all black instead of black and glowy red.
    Defo the plot thickens!!

49627735_10156724957686413_3334864439726833664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=3d77c4a19a04264c641cd11608a7700a&oe=5CD3B807

• Advertisement

DxGyQ0qXcAAw-x-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

While the jury is out on whether this will result on better racing and more overtaking, Racing Point technical director Andy Green said the "relatively small" rules change impacted the car's performance and balance "a lot".

"It's been a big hit," he told Autosport. "And when we first put it in the tunnel a few months ago, we're talking a few seconds of lap time, and a poorly balanced car as well.

"It was the worst possible outcome.

"Hopefully, it has some positives with respect to closer racing.

Great, difficult to set up cars lead to hard to drive cars what leads to overtaking opportunities. Reality : engineers will sort that out rather quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I predict that Bottas won't last the whole season at Mercedes. I think he will be gone before the summer break.

Not going to happen unless he underperforms at an awful level or walks away of his own, which would be a crazy thing to do - his career would be over and in a Mercedes he can still collect the odd pole position and race victory, not to mention a generous paycheck.

Bottas is exactly what the team has always wanted - a quick enough driver with small ambition, capable of bringing in enough points to seal the WCC, but who won't take the fight to their star driver and is willing to get out of the way on the dot. A "sensational wingman" indeed.

Yes, but Bottas' sponsorship has dried up and if he does underperform, he'll be given the boot - there are two points this may happen - right before the european races, and before the summar break.

http://f1i.com/news/327547-long-time-bottas-sponsor-leaves-its-driver-and-f1-behind.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

For Mercedes those are peanuts, based on sponsorship money he won't get the boot. Performance wise only if Mercedes is losing the team championship because of his lack of points. Also does ocon buy himself in and makes it sense to pay bottas on.
    More likely that perez gets the boot if he is a troublemaker for Stroll or if kubica / Russell underperformed really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jaysus if the Mclaren was black with Coke Zero logos I think id have to take a lie down..........it would be too good looking.

Pity it looks like that ugly orange again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The black logo was to do with their McLaren shadow project. Not sure what it is, it might be a sim racing competition.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Jaysus if the Mclaren was black with Coke Zero logos I think id have to take a lie down..........it would be too good looking.

Pity it looks like that ugly orange again

Maybe they are trying to get Sqeez orange juice onboard.

Sqeez McLaren Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

OT but Senna is up on Netflix now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That Dicktum lad is apparently making arsé out of himself in an Asian series as he tries to get those last super license points he needs to get into F1. He ggot penalised for overtaking under Safety Car again. Supposedly the FIA doesnt even allow this series count but made a rule change so it would but hes apparently blown that chance now aswell!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement